FTE feature showcase: What if...
...ping didn't matter when firing your hitscan weapons? And it worked with any client?
has been modified with rather boring (and experimental!) new feature called super-duper-anti-lag
. This feature makes your hitscan weapons hit what you see
if you really aim in the centre of it. The principle is this:
- The server sends you data to client on where you are, where items and players are.
- The client doesn't need to do anything.
- The server now uses the client's lagged view of the world to determine if there was a hit or not (temporary correction).Read:
When determining if your hitscan weapon hit, your client does sod all to help the server to know if you were aiming at something that should count as hit. The server is smart enough to figure it out on its own.This feature affects:
- Your hitscan weapons (LG, SG, SSG) hit on spot regardless of your pingThis feature does not affect:
- Movement in any way
- Projectiles in any way
- Picking up items in any way
- Collision detection in any way
- the list continues...So how does this thing work?
There is a test server with this feature: nodvd.morphos.net:24940
For your convenience, the server has been configured with sv_minping 150. Also, to help you hit right with the lightning gun, you should enable your client's lightning gun correction feature, if it has any. In ezQuake:
In all other clients:
To enable the feature in FTE (server-side), type:
/sv_antilag 2 (but this has already been done on the test server)
You don't need any special client. Use whatever client you like. If, however, you do use a recent test build of ezQuake, and you have set cl_antilag to 1, the server will get angry with you because you're spamming it with useless data.
I have already tested the feature and it seems to work properly. Now it's your chance to test the feature too, and to report if it works or not
, or behaves strangely in any way.