User panel stuff on forum
  32 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page
Other Tournaments
2006-06-13, 22:11
66 posts

Feb 2006
Had an idea, so strong that bothered even write "little" story about it for you

For some time now,
i have been wondering why us the qw dudes somehow seem to avoid ClanBase as much as possible when it comes to using it for qw purposes (and for others prolly aswells ?

Even thou its not like QW hasn't tried its wings under ClanBase site, but the main problem has mostly been inexperience with cb homepage and system. Which is kind of silly, site is not that hard at all once you just take your time with it.

Also maybe the best possible headadmin for QW4on4 cup isn't some old RTCW player who has played QW like back in 97 with modem.
Things might run abit smoother if admins infact knew something about the game/scene
Not that they didnt do their job, but like i said, it could have been better.

For those who yet dont know anything about ClanBase, ill try to give you little briefing..those who are familiar with the site, just jump forward "The Question is" line, or just read throug the whole thing

Basicly is a big community-news-site that runs organized cups/tournaments/ladders for various games and mods

There are four different level tournaments at the ClanBase:

The OpenCup

The ClanBase OpenCup is one of the many tournaments organised by ClanBase. The OpenCup is operated in many ways as a lower level version of the EuroCup. The tournament is entered through open registration with cup administrators then picking the applicants and placing them in the divisions they see as being appropriate based on the past results of a clan and the experience of its members.

The OpenCup is organised twice a year in tandem with the EuroCup. The spring season usually starts in January or February, while the Fall season starts in August or September. There is a separate OpenCup for each game and mod, so the term OpenCup actually refers to several dozen concurrent cups.

The tournament structure for the OpenCup can vary slightly from season to season and game to game but always consists of a group stage followed by playoffs until the final. Normally the top two or three clans in each group advance to the playoffs, playoffs have traditionally been organised as single-elimination brackets, but double elimination is gaining popularity among the ClanBase cup supervisors.

Each OpenCup is governed by a set of common rules in addition to game, mod and cup specific rules. Cup supervisors and cup administrators make sure that these rule are applied.

The EuroCup

The ClanBase EuroCup is the most prestigious online gaming tournament in Europe. It is an invitational tournament ran alongside the OpenCup, apart from this it is mostly identical in organisation to the OpenCup. The EuroCup receives far more coverage than the OpenCup on the ClanBase website as well as from external sources.

The EuroCup finals were always held as a LAN events until recently when they moved online, the cup lost of some of its prestige as its perceived significance among gamers dropped during the time the finals moved to being held over the internet. Recently however the finals have started to change back to being held as LAN finals with cash prizes and are again becoming acknowledged as important events.

The NationsCup

The ClanBase NationsCup is the de facto European Championship of online video gaming. As the name suggests this is not a tournament for clans but for national teams selected by an appointed team captain. There are rules dictating how many players from each clan the captain is allowed to pick. This is for example to prevent a nation with the current best clan in a game simply fielding that clan and to force the nation to use a mixed team therefore placing every nation in a position where they must create strategies and work with players unique to the national team.

The HostedCup

HostedCups are for all users. Anyone can create a hosted cup for ClanBase. ClanBase just gives you the right to use their own cup system, but it is up to the supervisors to run this cup.
Official ClanBase admins are not allowed to take part of admining in the hosted cups.

ClanBase is also changing to game news site. The site has it's dedicated news crew which tries to cover as much happening as there are at the world.

The Question is, why we don't start to work with this organization? Why we don't start organizing our 4on4/1on1 tournaments at the CB site? We can also move our ladders to ClanBase. The ClanBase ladders run constantly with teams playing any time they agree to and reporting the results through the ClanBase website. Points are then awarded or removed using an ELO based rating system to create a ranking of participating clans. All ladders are subject to popularity and participation and new ladders can be created by a player creating a request and other players voting on it with ClanBase having the final say. Most games have European ladders and national ladders for countries with the largest amount of participation, the European ladders are usually considered more prestigious than the national ones but neither are considered as important as the cups.

We have enough players to make this happen when compared to other ClanBase games. We even have more gamers than some margins games over there. We have to also think that our game is 10 years old now and that would give some respect for the EuroCup.

Think if we could get EuroCup for QW with LAN-finals, Reppie vs Griffin or in any other LAN-enviroment with big audience. We would be back on worlds map.

This could be done maybe more easily on 1on1 bases. Where we could get decent amount of players, but on 4on4 it might be a little tougher. The parture of QW-scene from CB was a quite shock for them at the start. QW was young and potential game, now they want it back. And it would be very special comeback with the 10th anniversary just coming.

This sounds too good to be true? Well I checked the cups on the EuroCup site and these are the amounts:

Didn't even count cs, as you all know, its big.

q4 tdm eurocup 24clans
q4 tdm opencup 60clans
q4 tdm no hosted cup

q4 1on1 eurocup 48players
q4 1on1 opencup 288players
no hostedcup for 1on1 either

q3 tdm no eurocup
q3 tdm opencup 40clans
q3 tdm no hostedcup

q3 1on1 seems to be dead,no tourneys at all
q3 has some opencup tourneys on different random mods, such as ra3, urbanterror.

q2 tdm opencup 30clans

ut2k4 1on1 eurocup 24players
tdm had like 12clans on eurocup
tdm opencup 60clans

As you see the amount of players ain't actually that high. We had 256 sign ups on the duelmania. That alone makes us almost as big as Q4.
If we could get enough players for CB fall season. We would have a chance to get EC for QW, maybe even LAN-finals for it.
If we aren't that lucky, we would atleast get large amount of publicity and attention. Every day there are over 300 000 unique visitors on the ClanBase. Maybe some of them would be interested.

Sometime ago ClanBase was bought by GGL. GGL has the history of supporting qw before in NA. Now we would even have bigger support, with iTG as their main broadcast organization. We would be talking about live streams, shoutcasters, media coverage and more.

If I remember right nqr5-6 had around ~100 clans signed up. The numbers from that time have come down to half i think. There has been WOW and great-qw-hacking-of-summer-2005 which kind of slowed the scene combined to other things. I'm just thinking that we could get those numbers up by little adjustment to new "methods ".

Gladly qw.nu is coming back and even new qwdrama site spawned.

All we need that few of us are willing to start working for this. We also need that everyone would consider coming over ClanBase, when we get the baby rolling. It only takes couple minutes to create a clan for ClanBase. After it has been approved, it doesn't take long time to add your players to team and your ready.

What we need to do first is to impress ClanBase with our activity. I'm talking about ladder activity, Hosted Cups with awesome coverage coming from players and admins. By this we can convince higher admins of ClanBase that this scene really still has potential and they would give us a chance that all of us need.

Let's work together and do this!

oh and if the post yet didnt say it, the best part is that CB head-admin has shown us greenlight for this..they are interested.
2006-06-13, 22:12
66 posts

Feb 2006
fooook it came out big, well try to read it throug and get some sense out of it
2006-06-13, 22:33
810 posts

Jan 1970
Hey, I have been working close to CB for some years now. If there is anything you need to know ClanBase wise about this, please let me know.

fix also talked to me about this before publishing it. I went straight to talk with Head admin of whole CB, Nico, and he is really looking forward to this. The ClanBase system is ready for QW, the game doesn't show yet on the front page, but it can be activated when we know that enough people are intrested.
2006-06-14, 11:52
810 posts

Jan 1970
Excellent idea from fix, joining CB would be quite a big step for reviving quakeworld to the masses
2006-06-14, 11:53
1754 posts

Jan 2006
bring on the 1on1 plz
2006-06-14, 11:54
518 posts

Jan 2006
great idea
2006-06-14, 11:55
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
As long as this wouldn't lead to CB introducing new maps/settings for a game of QW then i think it would be ok to run a 1on1 tournament on there. Even if 4on4 is the cadillac of QW i think that we don't got enough clans to run a classy Eurocup tournament. I also think that it would need to be one of the premier tournament types if it would be worth it. It has to offer something that EQL/NQR/Duelmania doesn't, it has to have something like great audience/extensive coverage/LAN finals/prizes or whatever. It has to be something that makes it different than the last Clanbase 4on4 cup that was held which noone seemed to care about really.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2006-06-14, 12:18
950 posts

Apr 2006
I have 2 100Mbs hosts that I'm willing to use to contribute to the promotion and expansion of the QuakeWorld. I can hosts games, sites, files, or do anything you might think about. Just name the ideas and I will help.
2006-06-14, 12:18
47 posts

Jan 2006
Start with a 4on4 ladder, an active 4on4 ladder is IMO what's missing in the QW-community atm and it'll open the QW-players eyeys for what ClanBase is (and vice versa), I almost never heard of it (but maybe that's just me). Later when it is a familiar term then maybe a ClanBase QW 4on4 league could replace EQL or NQR.
2006-06-14, 12:28
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Term wrote:
Start with a 4on4 ladder, an active 4on4 ladder is IMO what's missing in the QW-community atm and it'll open the QW-players eyeys for what ClanBase is (and vice versa), I almost never heard of it (but maybe that's just me). Later when it is a familiar term then maybe a ClanBase QW 4on4 league could replace EQL or NQR.

I guess they would run a tournament like this after the summer when the activity is higher. Starting with a ladder during the summer may be correct but then the activity ain't that high so the get-to-know-CB-point isn't valid any longer. Running a ladder after the summer is a waste as i hope the regular NQR Ladders gets going again. I also think it's a bit about whether we want to bring people into QW by making them go "wow" by watching tournaments or by discovering the fun by themselves when they play in ladders etc.

For me, a Clanbase tournament would be worth it if we get to take part of the finer things CB has to offer. If QW just would be "another game" hosted by CB then i think it's a no go.
2006-06-14, 12:51
47 posts

Jan 2006
I said "atm" but to start any kind of league/tournament/ladder during the WorldCup/summer is just bad timing, I ment in a month or two. I think the NQR-ladders have had theire time I'd prefere if they were replaced. The first NQR-ladder were quite good but with the lazy ladder-admins, page-fuckups and no end-dates (still winter-ladder - wtf) I think the chances of getting an active NQR-ladder again are quite small.
2006-06-14, 13:01
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
Very interesting.
Join us on discord.quake.world
2006-06-14, 15:08
693 posts

Jan 2006
Term wrote:
I said "atm" but to start any kind of league/tournament/ladder during the WorldCup/summer is just bad timing, I ment in a month or two. I think the NQR-ladders have had theire time I'd prefere if they were replaced. The first NQR-ladder were quite good but with the lazy ladder-admins, page-fuckups and no end-dates (still winter-ladder - wtf) I think the chances of getting an active NQR-ladder again are quite small.

Ladders are easy to fix, no one ever says anything to me if something goes wrong, but if they do I fix it quickly. Aap was asked to reset the ladder a while ago but he's not done it yet... so hassle him
2006-06-14, 15:17
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
After looking in the news archive on Refragged i found the last Clanbase QW cup for those of you who are interested.
2006-06-14, 15:20
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
When i wrote my first comments i thought about the first QW open cup that Apollyon ran but i still stand by my view on all this. If it won't be better than those tourneys then i don't think a new one will matter that much?
2006-06-14, 20:06
66 posts

Feb 2006
I think CB only cares about their own site system rules, we can define our games rules by ourselfs. So no we wouldnt become their bitches and if we get some good dude to be head admin of QW he can easy the culture differences between cb and how we qw dudes have used to do our shit (scheduling games etc)

And ye, what Ake said about 'if its just another game then no go" i agree but you guys have to realize that we wont get EC right away, even if we have 10000000000players.

First some ladder activity, then hosted cup and so on (im not sure exactly how this works, wabbit could explain it later i think)

To get EC for qw would take from few months to half year of activity in general and then when the signups starts for the next seasons..if the signups are high they would consider it. and that would be blast.

This needs strong attitude changes from our ppl to move over to CB, and few admins who know their job, to handle QW-things.

Replacing EQL/NQR with clanbase is pretty hard to do now i think, this should have been brought up when the qw hacking thing happend, at that time jumping to cb would have been more painless..now when ppl have been working hard to build new 4on4 league sites etc..i dont think they just want to throw em away..

so that leaves us 1on1..and i think that is our strongest asset now..as we dont have regular 1on1 tournaments..

Duelmania admins: what do you have to say to this?
2006-06-14, 23:30
810 posts

Jan 1970
You wouldn't be a "bitch" in CB. You could have your own gamesup, not someone who don't know the scene. Well first it would be good to have a gamesup that knows the CB and bloody good admins from QW scene. This gamesup would just do the CB stuff and when the new admins has find their way in CB hand over all the power.

It's really up to you. Get some ladders running, hosted cups and when fall comes try to get official cups, ie. OpenCup or even EuroCup.
2006-06-15, 00:37
116 posts

Mar 2006
I think 1on1 is the way to go. Atleast the first couple of months.
2006-06-15, 03:56
37 posts

Jan 2006
fix wrote:
so that leaves us 1on1..and i think that is our strongest asset now..as we dont have regular 1on1 tournaments..

Duelmania admins: what do you have to say to this?

I'm up for whatever challenge might come by. I've got a CB login somewhere anyway.
I don't know about ebsn, he's in the middle of his thesis and might be a bit strung up at the moment.
Racersnigeln could probably be coaxed into helping out also.

Not a bad idea, fix. But I don't think a 4on4/2on2 league on CB would make a huge difference activitywise on the Euro QW scene at the moment. As you say, 1on1's are what we're good at and apparently enjoy the most.
2006-06-15, 10:42
810 posts

Jan 1970
love it
2006-06-19, 15:37
810 posts

Jan 1970
nice, something must be done.
2006-06-19, 16:52
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
yeah, to get any publicity out of it, we really need to get past the hosted cup and to the open/eurocup, so lets get on with ít
2006-06-20, 19:01
66 posts

Feb 2006
im currently pretty much tied up to work, but ye..some kind of game plan how to move forward should be made..

zalon, only way to get over hosted cup, is to have 1? doesnt matter what kind of..summer cup? rookie cup? any suggestions?

I guess something like 30 signups is enough, and then when that is done (hosted cup) we hit em hard..with everything we got and aim for duelmania like signups numbers...
2006-06-21, 16:40
810 posts

Jan 1970
If you all are ready for it, I can talk to one of the bosses in CB to open again long time ago locked QuakeWorld gameid and host a cup for you. Thou, I have to confess. I don't know nothing about QuakeWorld. SO, I need a person who knows everything from the scene and is capable of doing rules etc. I would do all the CB stuff required and help in general issues, not in game related.

Are you ready to tango?
2006-07-06, 09:00
810 posts

Jan 1970
sounds good... running qw ladder on clanbase as well as 1 on 1 league makes the most sense imo.! because other leauges such as nqr / eql have had so much hard work put into their running / the sites themselves ditching them would not be right! ladders however are usually an after thought of the main leauge and as such are not taken as seriously and usually fade out after a couple of months of running... if there was a ladder running on clanbase all year round this hopefully would mean it is taken more seriously by players and of course 1 on 1 leauge will showcase the madskillz that comes with quake and there is the need for a 1 on 1 tourny.
2008-07-18, 16:25
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
is there interest of going with this? qw must be the only game NOT on that list
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2008-07-18, 17:17
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
Clanbase is dead, gamers moved on, would rather see QW on the Free Games list of ESL - but then we need to free it from pak1....
2008-07-26, 21:27
122 posts

Jan 2007
That's an interesting idea. But the best part if there will be money prizes. This will bring back big names, add activity to middle class players, and will recruit new players. Money moves the world.

P.S. And maybe Reload will visit Europe to compete. Just imagine all the hype! CHTV may be closed after that. :-)
--
"Dag eats little Reloads for breakfast." (c) :-)
2008-08-05, 17:35
39 posts

Nov 2006
Man I like the sound of this! Someone plz take the first step!
2008-08-05, 17:38
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Clanbase is just old, sorry. :I I looked through an old thread of mine the other day though and that would be something...
  32 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page