User panel stuff on forum
  15 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2020-11-03, 19:35
News Writer
10 posts

Jan 2006
We found a very strange behavior in one of the players during official games and pracs - we suspect using cheats. Since it is almost impossible to prove 100% use of cheats on the Internet in an open source game, in fact it all boils down to circumstantial evidence, namely, very suspicious behavior. We have our own list of such moments, but we would like to ask you to look at both the proposed demos (https://td.quakeworld.ru/files/Quake_demos) and any others with his participation, to find such moments and express your opinion on them.
The main thing to pay attention to is illogical successful / useful actions - in a normal situation, players do not act like that: took a big risk and succeeded, or at first excessive "smart play", and then some stupid actions, or very often "lucky". Moreover, each individual case as such, as a rule, can be explained, but in the aggregate they look at least very strange.

We would like to note that our goal is first of all to stop the use of cheats by players, and not to ban someone from QW.
2020-11-04, 03:52
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
Please DM me the exact demo and the suspected cheat being used. Don't post it publicly until you know for sure they are cheating (you don't wan't to falsely accuse someone, that can be very damaging).

Typically to catch a cheater using a wallhack you need to watch the demo with wallhack client. This method was used to catch a cheating Russian previously. Can't remember his name.
2020-11-04, 09:04
105 posts

Apr 2017
Quake is a good player. But if he were to cheat then he would be Div1. You only have to look at his stats to see that he clearly isn't Div1.

Some players will spam all possible entrances in an attempt to cover all possibilities. But other players will commit to guessing a single entrance. And sometimes instead of spamming a single entrance constantly they will try to guess exactly when opponent will attack. Because if you spam an entrance constantly then they'll be reluctant to enter.

I personally like to guess when and where opponent will attack. On DM4 it's quite easy to guess because of very few options compared to Aerowalk. Some days guessing works good. Some days it works bad.. But yes, if it works good then you'll sometimes get called a cheat... But on days when guessing is bad then nobody notices at all and they just shoot you in the ass.

Conclusion: We only notice opponent's good guesses. We never notice their bad guesses..

(Edited 2020-11-04, 09:56)
2020-11-04, 09:17
68 posts

Jul 2013
beating Bulat and VVD in bo5 would suggest div1 but he has been putting some hours into the game in recent months

i think we need more specifics before calling people out, study demos from any player without anything specific to look for and you will find dodgy events, from any player in any game

personally i have played him a few times and have had some "weird" experience but results don't suggest to me he is cheating
2020-11-05, 09:34
3 posts

Oct 2020
sae wrote:
beating Bulat and VVD in bo5 would suggest div1 but he has been putting some hours into the game in recent months

i think we need more specifics before calling people out, study demos from any player without anything specific to look for and you will find dodgy events, from any player in any game

personally i have played him a few times and have had some "weird" experience but results don't suggest to me he is cheating

well, IF he is cheating he definitely is careful about it and doesn't do it as blatantly as Razor [X] did. That one never turned it off
I'll proceed watching the demos.
2020-11-05, 12:26
150 posts

Nov 2006
lemonjuiced wrote:
Quake is a good player. But if he were to cheat then he would be Div1. You only have to look at his stats to see that he clearly isn't Div1.

Someone could use cheats and still not be good enough to be div1. Doesn't mean he isn't using, doesn't mean he is.
2020-11-05, 14:51
105 posts

Apr 2017
MatriX wrote:

Someone could use cheats and still not be good enough to be div1. Doesn't mean he isn't using, doesn't mean he is.

Oh agreed!. A new player would never be Div1 even if they used a wall hack and a aimbot!.

But I'm confident that somebody like Quake could be Div1 if they cheated.
2020-11-05, 16:07
3 posts

Oct 2020
lemonjuiced wrote:
MatriX wrote:

Oh agreed!. A new player would never be Div1 even if they used a wall hack and a aimbot!.

But I'm confident that somebody like Quake could be Div1 if they cheated.

as mentioned before, I think winning bo5s with Bulat and VVD is pretty much a definition of div1.
2020-11-08, 18:47
8 posts

May 2006
My opinion...

After what i saw some demos from his POV i think he has WH and some timer. First think about this i had 2 weeks ago when i saw him play first time in my life. His timing was excellent and it was first time when i was thinking if he has some external timer or something like that. If it is true and i think it is, then it is really sad that someone wanna cheat in this old game in small community what we have.
2020-11-09, 19:12
News Writer
34 posts

Feb 2008
I see no cheat what so ever
2020-11-11, 20:48
News Writer
10 posts

Jan 2006
I ask you to close this topic.

I apologize to Quake for unreasonable doubts about his honesty!
2020-11-11, 21:17
3 posts

Oct 2020
Same here, apologies where it's due.

I don't think I can call our doubts unreasonable, though. I don't think any of us ever doubted that he's a very skilled player anyway, but I found his playstyle to be a bit different from most and it has some unique traits to it, thus prompting the suspicion.

Unfortunately, there was nothing else to do but try and find out the truth in a rather harsh way with that showmatch with camera on e.t.c. It clearly put a lot of stress on him, though if it was me I would take the suspicion as a compliment, rather than insult.

Quake passed "the test" with flying colors, so kudos to him.
2020-11-12, 19:24
245 posts

Jan 2006
Hmm... in doubt..
2020-11-15, 04:05
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
I don't have the permissions to close the thread unfortunately. i think bps doesn't trust me with any more access than posting news
2020-11-15, 23:42
Administrator
384 posts

Dec 2006
Thread locked at OP's request.
  15 posts on 1 page  1