User panel stuff on forum
  52 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page
General Discussion
2021-03-25, 23:42
105 posts

Apr 2017
Hi Moon!,

I also spotted those issues you mentioned and I've since fixed them. I'm still not sure why it's getting stuck at Air exit but I've added a timeout on its main movement code so that if it doesn't arrive at it's destination within 5 seconds then it'll rethink its position. This isn't really ideal and it shouldn't really be getting stuck in the first place.

I've also fixed its sniping ability where it was struggling to peek around corners and snipe a rocket at its opponent.

I'm currently pondering on whether to redo DM4. I'm thinking it's being overly aggressive after respawning, resulting in it getting killed too often. There's a few Div1 human players that will be very aggressive on respawn and they seem to do okay. But I suspect this can only work when playing lesser skilled players. I have had a version of Humanoid that would be much more careful but it could be a little boring waiting for it to leave Mega on DM4. And it if was hit by a rocket on leaving then it would simply run back in and wait for the next mega. Not fun!!.

It's tricky finding the right balance between fun and challenging... Maybe it's a mission impossible.

Latest version here
2021-03-27, 10:41
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
is it possible to set a different skill level ?
i guess it would be easy to set a % on the reaction time, aim time, and accuracy.

bot looks very human! good job! the best bot ive played with. having it online would be a plus, not everyone is willing to create a folder
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2021-03-27, 11:58
105 posts

Apr 2017
I'm glad you like it, Mushi!

I've not bothered adding a skill setting because my focus is on making it more challenging. But I may make a lower skilled bot later that doesn't use LG and call it Lemonoid.
2021-03-28, 21:01
230 posts

Jan 2006
Hi aq
Been playing some matches on aero, ztndm3, dm4 and dm2. Mostly the two first ones.
Have not seen any strange bot behaviour as of yet Many great games.
Maybe add some more offensive playing when the bot is losing and the time is running out even if it is not stacked or full health, is that even possible?

Which maps are you planning on supporting?

Great work so far!
2021-03-29, 06:02
105 posts

Apr 2017
On most of the maps it would be easy to make it more aggressive as the game comes to a close.. I've been planning on making it more aggressive/careless if it gets too far ahead in terms of frags. This will hopefully discourage us from quitting the game. This is also what I do when I play less experienced players. No need to crush your opponent or they'll just end up demoralized and wanting to go play Minecraft instead

I probably won't support more maps now. Initially it was supposed to be just a bot that specialized in DM4 but I grew bored of playing DM4. But as I add support for more maps I'm becoming a little stretched. I could probably spend a year on just making the bot play the current supported maps better and then there'd still be room for improvement.

Maybe I should dump it onto Github and hope that somebody else will work on it... But I suspect there won't be any other coders out there that are crazy enough to add support for more maps. It's not like a frogbot where you just define a bunch of connected waypoints. Instead Humanoid needs a small program written for every key point on a map.

But if somebody is interested in contributing, please let me know!!..
2021-04-14, 07:19
230 posts

Jan 2006
Hi aq, any progress since last version?
2021-04-14, 09:04
105 posts

Apr 2017
Slow progress lately!..

Tweaked the bot's response time with LG so we have a little more time to snipe it with a rocket. DM4 players will appreciate this..

Added support for map End.

Made the bot a little more aggressive when losing.

Lots of tweaks to its DM4 logic.

Download here
2021-04-16, 15:39
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
considered putting it on github or somewhere similar?..
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2021-04-16, 17:48
105 posts

Apr 2017
What I may do at some stage is rename the bot and upload the project files somewhere and post a link. This way you'll be free to make your own Mushi bot. Doing it this way means you won't have to worry about breaking anything or having me reject any changes you make.
2021-10-01, 20:45
343 posts

Feb 2006
Very interesting project.
ProjectQ1Q3, Frogbot Waypoint and Map Conversion Tutorial @ http://mickkn.mooo.com
2021-12-16, 08:40
23 posts

Jan 2007
This is so so so juicy. I would love for you explaining me how You did that. GREAT WORK
mfn
2021-12-28, 20:27
105 posts

Apr 2017
marffinn wrote:
This is so so so juicy. I would love for you explaining me how You did that. GREAT WORK

Hi Mariffin,

When necessary the bot can perform a sequence of movements (key pushes and mouse turns) that are similar to player movement scripts.

We humans also sometimes perform scripts but our scripts are a memorized sequence of muscle movements. An experienced human player could probably bunny hop around a map blindfolded.

The downside to creating a bot like this is that it takes a long time and so a games studio would never be willing to develop an AI using Humanoid's approach because it would be too costly. But there's still hope! because one day somebody will create a general AI that can script itself!. Google's DeepMind seems to be attempting to do this but I suspect it still needs lots of human guidance at the moment.
2022-06-11, 17:18
105 posts

Apr 2017
Update here

Humanoid has levelled up. I'm just not sure to which level!..

Also added support for the best looking map in Quakeworld - Monastic_B1. If you don't already have the map then you can find it on some of the servers.

This is the final version and update of Humanoid.
2022-06-19, 18:48
343 posts

Feb 2006
Is the source files saved on a repos somewhere?
ProjectQ1Q3, Frogbot Waypoint and Map Conversion Tutorial @ http://mickkn.mooo.com
2022-06-19, 20:36
105 posts

Apr 2017
Hi Mick,

No, I no longer have the source. That's why I'm sure it's the last version.

Humanoid is one of those never ending projects that's very difficult to move on from because there's always something that can be tweaked. So I decided to just get it to a skill level that's fun yet challenging and then just drop it. And if I had uploaded the source somewhere then I'd be downloading it again in a few weeks.

I do have some other versions of Humanoid that use different tactics. I'll upload them at a later date. I'm finding playing against a bot that always uses the same tactics can get a little boring/predictable after a while.

Perhaps one day the FTEQCC decompiler will be improved and will manage to be able to decompile Humanoid. That could tempt me back to improving Humanoid further. I just hope it happens later rather than sooner!
2022-07-26, 09:41
135 posts

Jan 2006
Hello mate!
Damn I'm on this forum so long, but stopped to read it because all community is online using discord.
Marffinn told us about these bots and the project is amazing. Hope you will continue your work on it and keep to develope the bots.
Great job man! Today after work I will test it andI'm really excited about it.
MAGNUM 44
2022-07-26, 13:26
1 post

May 2006
Is it possible to run this bot on map ENDIF with midair option mode on ?
2022-08-01, 12:00
135 posts

Jan 2006
rotker wrote:
Is it possible to run this bot on map ENDIF with midair option mode on ?

I tried, not possible.
MAGNUM 44
2023-06-23, 17:18
105 posts

Apr 2017
Hi guys!,

I've uploaded some older versions of Humanoid here

While they're not quite as good as the last one I uploaded, each one has its own style of play.

Randomizer - Randomly moves around the map. Fun!

Elusive - If winning it will be very defensive and try to avoid any confrontation. It can be very annoying on DM2 as it will ping pong between YA gate and RA/Mega.

Camper - It will try to stand its ground. This is the last version I uploaded and probably the most challenging.

Pacman - Tries to keep taking all the armors.

If I was stuck on a desert island with just one bot then I would probably choose Randomizer simply because it's more unpredictable and therefore more entertaining. Camper is the most challenging bot but it can become a little tedious after a while as all the games start to feel the same.

I recently attempted to decompile Humanoid so then I could do some more work on it but the quakec decompiler still isn't good enough. Maybe one day...

For any future bot makers out there, I think the key to making a bot that's very challenging is to make it lunge towards its opponent with lots of speed and then blast the opponent with LG. So no camping LG on DM4 and getting sniped with rockets from Mega, instead have the bot quickly bunny hop down and run into Mega.

Unfortunately I never got a chance to test this theory!. Dammit!

(Edited 2023-06-29, 12:34)
2023-06-25, 20:12
230 posts

Jan 2006
Great to see you still at it
I will surely test this asap
2023-06-28, 20:30
230 posts

Jan 2006
Can you upload the qwprogs for the Randomizer version?
2023-06-29, 12:36
105 posts

Apr 2017
Oops!. I've removed all that junk from the Randomizer folder and reuploaded.

Link above updated!
  52 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page