User panel stuff on forum
Index  ‹  Client Talk  ‹  ezQuake 3.0
  43 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page
Client Talk
2016-06-08, 17:10
Administrator
284 posts

Sep 2015
This will be old news to many of you now, but ezQuake 3.0 has been released and is available here. The changelog contains everything (hopefully) that has been changed since 2.2, if you have been using a recent nightly release then there should be very few changes.

Some people have been downloading and trying it out (some even did radical things like using the menus to configure the client, which didn't always go so well), and there have been some issues. Some of which are changes to the client (there will be a 3.0.1 shortly) and some of which are just down to issues with pasting the ezquake executable over the top of a 2.2 install and problems converting from one to the other. I've started listing some of the common issues people have been having here, I'll keep updating it as reports come in.

The priority for 3.0 is QuakeCon, any new features will wait until 3.1 is released, which can be fairly soon (perhaps in September). The only updates to 3.0 will be: bugfixes, patching cheats/exploits, documentation fixes, or anything specifically asked for to support QuakeCon. The aim is to deliver a stable platform for a fair tournament, nice to haves will wait for another day.

f_version on major releases will now report "3.0 [build-info]", rather than "3.0 alpha [build info]", or "2.2 stable [build-info]" and any future nightly builds will report their version with a suffix of "-dev" to indicate that it is development version.

Generally people have been catching me on Discord or IRC to report bugs, not wanting to discourage that, but if we can try and use the github Issues page as much as possible it would be great - makes all the issues public so everyone knows what is going on and people can add comments/attachments etc.
2016-06-08, 21:51
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
First! Loving it. Thanks a mill to dimman and meag for making this happen. And others too. Gonna check it out in detail soon. Keep up the good work!
Join us on discord.quake.world
2016-06-08, 23:41
280 posts

Jan 2015
T.H.A.N.K...Y.O.U.!
dev
2016-06-09, 06:18
News Writer
493 posts

Jan 2006
Glad to see there's been a new release. I hope the website gets updated soon. The current changelog on the website is from 2011. Unfortunately, that changelog (and the one you posted) are missing a few years of commits. For a full list of changes, you have to document all commits since December 2011, the last time changelog was updated. I have personally committed many, many times between Dec 2011 and the changelog you posted (and so have other devs, qqshka, johnny, dimman, etc). Lots of new variables, commands, and bugfixes are left out.

Here's the git commit from 12/2011 in case anyone wants to read forward and see a full list of changes:

https://github.com/ezQuake/ezquake-source/commits/master?page=16

Keep up the strong work guys. Unfortunately, many devs including myself have lost access to the ezQuake github repo and are no longer contributing. Btw, since I'm posting, here is a bug I've found:

<up2> i found a bug with ezquake's cl_proxyaddr and sb_refresh stuff
<up2> if I use the console and sb_refresh then do connectbr, this is what happens: http://i.imgur.com/lv49Exi.jpg
<up2> "port number in prx userinfo key is invalid"
<up2> but when I go to the server browser, without refreshing, I can connect to the same server
<up2> By pressing "x" (use proxies to connect)
<up2> here's the cl_proxyaddr after I use the server browser and press x: http://i.imgur.com/u09p35N.jpg

Best,
Up2
2016-06-09, 07:06
344 posts

Nov 2006
Up2nOgOoD[ROCK wrote:
"]Unfortunately, many devs including myself have lost access to the ezQuake github repo and are no longer contributing.

I actually find it quite easy to contribute with github and not having access to the repository. It is just that people seem reluctant to use it for some reason. Same applies to the bugtracker by the way. It makes keeping track of bugs so much easier but people prefer to post them everywhere but there - like in forum posts or irc :-p
2016-06-09, 10:35
Administrator
284 posts

Sep 2015
Update: 3.0.1-dev nightly here.

Changes:
  • Blocking a workaround to simulate cl_idrive via config script
  • Blocking the new player model in /ruleset qcon
  • Some fixes to the menu & documentation

Appreciate menu/documentation fixes aren't much to the QW regulars but to those trying out the client for the first time in a while, it can be very frustrating.

Up2nOgOoD wrote:
For a full list of changes, you have to document all commits since December 2011, the last time changelog was updated.

Apologies, this wasn't on purpose. The changelog I posted was taken from the commit history since 2.2 was released, I didn't appreciate that the changelog at that time was also out of date.

Up2nOgOoD wrote:
Unfortunately, many devs including myself have lost access to the ezQuake github repo and are no longer contributing.

I can't speak to the history of all this, but github makes it very easy to clone a repo & submit pull requests, there's even Travis CI integration now so test builds on win32/linux/osx all run automatically. Pull requests are more than welcome.
2016-06-09, 19:20
150 posts

Nov 2006
I noticed this version changes the system clock timer resolution to 1ms.
I just want to remark that the Nvidia Threaded Optimization will only work at Windows default of 15ms.
So before people starting complaining this version broke their performance, take this into consideration.
I personally don't use this Nvidia setting because game seems to get less responsive.

2 more things:
- Video mode list doesn't show custom resolutions created in Windows.
- in_raw_custom_device was removed but was useful.
2016-06-10, 08:11
Administrator
284 posts

Sep 2015
Update: New version of 3.0.1-dev here

Changes:
  • Resolves issue where keyboard layout wouldn't be detected if cl_onload was set to console command
  • No longer looks for files in the root of your current drive
  • In menu, light mode has changed to boolean "darken map"

MatriX wrote:
I noticed this version changes the system clock timer resolution to 1ms.
I just want to remark that the Nvidia Threaded Optimization will only work at Windows default of 15ms.
So before people starting complaining this version broke their performance, take this into consideration.
I personally don't use this Nvidia setting because game seems to get less responsive.

Do you have page I can link to about that? It seems to be common knowledge that that needs to be turned off for ezQuake to stop stuttering, and I can find lots of people complaining that this is just an incompatibility with OpenGL games in general, but is it caused by the 1ms/15ms switch?

MatriX wrote:

2 more things:
- Video mode list doesn't show custom resolutions created in Windows.
- in_raw_custom_device was removed but was useful.

Can you give example of how to create a custom resolution in Windows? Just to clarify - in_raw_custom_device, that was used to limit raw input to a single device?
2016-06-10, 15:33
150 posts

Nov 2006
In XP if you changed the timer this feature would not work.
With ezq 2.2 was working, when i ran 3.0 was not, but i must have changed something in bios/windows/game because now it's working.
So this feature may not work when the timer resolution is combined with something else.
The stuttering you refer to i think it's related with sys_yieldcpu 0 + threaded optimization.
Since cpu's are so powerful nowadays it's just best to disable this feature.

- You can create a custom resolution in Nvidia control panel.
- in_raw_custom_device selects wich device to use, so it only loads 1 device.
2016-06-11, 22:18
805 posts

Mar 2006
Thank you!
https://tinyurl.com/qwbrasil - QuakeFiles
2016-06-17, 11:44
245 posts

Jan 2006
One annoying bug is that if someone leaves a game. console get's flooded with invalid player to track...
2016-06-27, 21:30
110 posts

Mar 2010
the join from qtv thing is sweet but could be improved, if the server is full and specs is full it shouldnt disconnect you from qtv to say server is full.

another thing i've been wondering about and its a sound issue. since i upgraded to 3.0 i've had the feeling that some sounds gets dropped from time to time. i figured i was imagining shit but Cara also mentioned this on a server just now. Sometimes a guy will come out of nowhere because you didnt hear the tele sound... or missing armors being taken. it's not happening often but i think about it most often when playing dm4. and you're in the middle and ppl take ya/ra or come from there... like it's some bug with "distant" sounds or something.

anyone else felt this?
2016-06-27, 22:18
Administrator
284 posts

Sep 2015
nelag wrote:
the join from qtv thing is sweet but could be improved, if the server is full and specs is full it shouldnt disconnect you from qtv to say server is full.

QTV doesn't talk to mvdsv to tell you you're joining, it's a disconnect-from-qtv, connect-to-server, so there's no way to guarantee it will be succesful. Having multiple connections to servers open so you can cancel one if it fails would be much more advanced.

nelag wrote:
since i upgraded to 3.0 i've had the feeling that some sounds gets dropped from time to time. i figured i was imagining shit but Cara also mentioned this on a server just now. Sometimes a guy will come out of nowhere because you didnt hear the tele sound... or missing armors being taken. it's not happening often but i think about it most often when playing dm4. and you're in the middle and ppl take ya/ra or come from there... like it's some bug with "distant" sounds or something.

anyone else felt this?

Do you have a .qwd or .mvd where this happens? You can use the /play command's format "/play <sound> @ x y z" to simulate noises at particular locations if you want to test what a particular spawn or tele sound sounds like from a different location.
2016-06-28, 03:12
110 posts

Mar 2010
meag wrote:
Do you have a .qwd or .mvd where this happens? You can use the /play command's format "/play <sound> @ x y z" to simulate noises at particular locations if you want to test what a particular spawn or tele sound sounds like from a different location.

i'll keep that in mind and dl a demo if i felt it happened.
2016-06-29, 15:04
8 posts

Apr 2015
I've been trying this on OS X El Capitan, on a 13 inch Macbook Pro. Compiling the software works well, and more or less everything else works, except that the client keeps insisting on being locked at 60FPS despite turning off vsync and setting the maximum FPS limit to higher than 60. This makes the game a bit less responsive.

I dunno if something went wrong in the compilation process or if something is wrong with my config or what. I'm a bit new to this so I don't fully understand how everything works yet but aside from this FPS lock issue the client works beautifully.
2016-06-30, 07:58
344 posts

Nov 2006
Works fine in my tests. On what GPU is this running? Is this a hybrid GPU model? The default config should have no FPS limit. For me it runs at about 2000 FPS on "start".

EDIT: I found some performance issues when you have other opened apps on the same desktop. For example when I have opened Skype the fps drops to around 100?!
2016-06-30, 09:08
202 posts

Dec 2006
I get locked to 60fps in fullscreen mode, but it seems to be uncapped in windowed mode. Weirdly, it is also uncapped in fullscreen for a short amount of time (less than a minute generally) after switching from windowed mode using opt+enter

edit: feb 2013 15" retina mbp, hybrid gpu
2016-07-03, 11:11
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
raket wrote:
One annoying bug is that if someone leaves a game. console get's flooded with invalid player to track...

This seems to happen when maps change and you reconnect faster than the person you were spectating...
2016-07-04, 14:42
Administrator
284 posts

Sep 2015
Coming up to one month before QuakeCon, so would like to get this version (3.0.1) finished and draw a line under it as the version that will be used at the tournament. It will also be used in the next version of nquake. We can then get on to trying to release 3.1 ready for any new tournaments coming after.

With that in mind, I'd like to release 3.0.1 this coming weekend if possible. The latest nightly is the one to test, and has the following changes from 3.0:

Menu
  • /ruleset qcon was missing from menu
  • F2-F12 now bindable through menu
  • Unbinding from menu only unbinds keys that exactly match command
  • /s_desiredsamples now added to menu
  • "Light mode" now "Darken map", and boolean

Gameplay
  • /ruleset qcon now blocks the new player model
  • Workaround that allowed cl_idrive in ruleset smackdown now blocked

System
  • Windows: workaround for deadkey bound to consoletoggle causing corrupt first character
  • Linux: grabs keyboard input as well as mouse, so window-manager shortcuts shouldn't fire

Bugfixes
  • If cl_onload was console command, started in american keyboard mode
  • Console background resizes after conwidth/height/scale change
  • File system won't look for files in root of directory when /userdir is empty
  • /connectbr now works when port isn't specified (defaults to :27500, like /connect)
  • Ambient sound should increase/decrease irrespective of fps
  • Server browser should be able to download from https:// addresses
  • Various documentation fixes for console variables
  • reduced viewsize no longer results in wider-aspect fov. use scr_fovmode to toggle method used to keep fov correct.

(Edited 2016-07-04, 16:23)
2016-07-04, 15:12
280 posts

Jan 2015
What a neat ezQuake release!

Thanks meag!
dev
2016-07-04, 16:38
223 posts

Aug 2011
Good job as usual!
carrier has arrived - twitch.tv/carapace_
2016-07-05, 04:56
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
Fantastic work. I've been testing each build with /ruleset qcon for quite a while now and i've not encountered any problems at all. Very solid.
2016-07-06, 00:00
57 posts

Oct 2015
Nice fix on the https:// server browser issue. That shit was driving me insane waiting 10 extra seconds for ezquake to open.
2016-07-06, 01:39
6 posts

Dec 2015
The change log says "FTE2 Voice Chat" has been removed. What does that mean, exactly? If it means that internal VOIP that can be recorded in MVD files has been removed, I am extremely disappointed in the EZQuake team. The combination of drawflat custom colors and internal VOIP made EZQuake the best QW source port. Has internal VOIP been removed, or is an alternative system in place?

edit: Since I have doublechecked and confirmed that the internal voip is removed...can anything be done to restore it for a personal build, or is the major changes to the codebase too great?

edit 2: Found my problem (https://github.com/ezQuake/ezquake-source/commit/002e5f0899cff1c713c19f860c19b42adf07d1bd)

Why was the feature removed in the first place?
2016-07-06, 15:07
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
As always, great job Meag!
2016-07-07, 09:15
110 posts

Mar 2010
is there a command to disable the "afk" function is the scoreboard? it's great but it also hides the time someones been on a server. for example if i jump into a server with someone one it and wanna duel i have no idea if the player has been afk 1 minute or 6 hours.
2016-07-07, 09:26
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
nelag wrote:
is there a command to disable the "afk" function is the scoreboard? it's great but it also hides the time someones been on a server. for example if i jump into a server with someone one it and wanna duel i have no idea if the player has been afk 1 minute or 6 hours.

Maybe scr_scoreboard_afk does it.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2016-07-07, 11:19
110 posts

Mar 2010
yep, tnx.

so the https thing is fixed then? my server browser isnt working very well now but it's fixed in the proper 3.0 release? i got some alpha
2016-07-07, 11:20
223 posts

Aug 2011
alias "+showtime" "scr_scoreboard_afk 0"
alias "-showtime" "scr_scoreboard_afk 1"
bind "x" "+showtime"
carrier has arrived - twitch.tv/carapace_
2016-07-07, 11:21
110 posts

Mar 2010
cara wrote:
alias "+showtime" "scr_scoreboard_afk 0"