User panel stuff on forum
  7 posts on 1 page  1
Server Talk
2016-04-14, 13:56
110 posts

Mar 2010
so much afking and waiting for people in the last years of quake. here's a thought: add the idle bot for 2on2 when 3/4 are ready and for 4on4 when 6/8 (or 7/8) are ready? no? yes? dunno?
2016-04-14, 14:13
280 posts

Jan 2015
I'm sure bogojoker will gladly develop it if some major severs admins commit to update their servers.
dev
2016-04-14, 16:51
172 posts

Sep 2013
andrestone wrote:
I'm sure bogojoker will gladly develop it if some major severs admins commit to update their servers.

I'll take a look. Given the track record of servers getting updated, I try not to waste my time on qw anymore.

nelag wrote:
so much afking and waiting for people in the last years of quake.

I also think that /forcestart should bring client's game to the foreground, like when all players are ready. That is probably an ezquake change though, not a server change, so it wouldn't fix the problem frequent AFKers who don't update their clients.
2016-04-14, 19:19
280 posts

Jan 2015
BogoJoker wrote:
andrestone wrote:

I'll take a look. Given the track record of servers getting updated, I try not to waste my time on qw anymore.

nelag wrote:
so much afking and waiting for people in the last years of quake.

I also think that /forcestart should bring client's game to the foreground, like when all players are ready. That is probably an ezquake change though, not a server change, so it wouldn't fix the problem frequent AFKers who don't update their clients.

If KTX can control player status (ready or not ready) /forcereadyall is the way to go. All versions of ezquake already come to foreground on matchstart.

Make /forcestart behave like this /forcereadyall idea is probably more appropriate.

Cheers!
dev
2016-04-15, 03:12
18 posts

Oct 2015
I've seen two ways this is currently dealt with in other games. In Warsow, there's a warm-up timelimit that will end warm-up in so-and-so minutes (normally 3). Then there's Xonotic and MFArena, where a person can call a vote to force the match to start.

Must say, it would be nice if the scoreboard (tab) would indicate which players are ready (perhaps by a green check-mark), instead of a server command. Sometimes, a "rpickup" (random pickup) is executed without me noticing, and will have no clue that's I'm no longer set to ready. Anyway, just wishful thinking.
2016-04-15, 18:06
172 posts

Sep 2013
nelag wrote:
here's a thought: add the idle bot for 2on2 ...

Actually, the idle bot is already setup to work in these configurations. I suspect it is off purely because of server configurations. nquakesv 's default configurations have a 60s k_idletime for 1on1, 180 k_idletime for ffa, but 0 k_idletime (disabled) for all other configurations, so the idle bot never starts. You should try getting a server admin to consider enabling this on the servers you play at.

Edit: The heuristic probably needs to be tweaked in teamplay configurations.

(Edited 2016-04-15, 19:14)
2016-04-15, 19:12
172 posts

Sep 2013
BogoJoker wrote:

Though ezquake is really the one that unminimizes, the server can trick it by changing its serverinfo status. And ultimately this isn't too ugly... so I made this ktx only change that works.

andrestone wrote:
If KTX can control player status (ready or not ready) /forcereadyall is the way to go. All versions of ezquake already come to foreground on match start. Make /forcestart behave like this /forcereadyall idea is probably more appropriate.

This would work. However, this feels dirty. /forcestart will kick the players that really are afk (did not type /ready) after its countdown. A /forcereadyall, if it existed, would actually start the game if they really are afk but there would be no indication until someone notices a player not moving. I think it is better to give the player a chance to really type /ready otherwise nobody will know if they are available or not before the game start.
  7 posts on 1 page  1