User panel stuff on forum
  8 posts on 1 page  1
Maps & Textures
2015-09-30, 12:29
26 posts

Apr 2012
###
### Work in Progress : Map qwbetathree (workname)
###
http://www11.pic-upload.de/30.09.15/3p5w1xyxbuaq.jpg

If you want: Give your input to develop a new dm map, to reach a final version.

I'm working on the map since 20 september 2015.
The map is targeted at 1on1 / 2on2 / ffa

It is already the fifth main version, layout-route-wise, I changed a lot since the first version.
My focus is playability, not eye candy.

Personally I find this fifth version the release candidate... I don't see anything, personally, I would change.

I'm especially interested in suitability for 1on1 and 2on2.
I didn't want it to be too big for 1on1 and not too small for 2on2.

So, now I ask you.
I want to make the finalisation some sort of community effort

What do you think ?

would you change something ?
... layout wise
... item wise
... whatever ?
... ... how many spawnpoints ? There are currently only six.
... ... quad placement ? [for 2on2]

If you give your opinion, please do so after at least spending some good time in the map
(the time you personally need to get to know the map)

###################################################################################
DOWNLOAD (.bsp in a .zip file)
... ###
... ### On the page you get by clicking the link below :
... ### Click the Blue Download button to download it. (not any other link also named download
... ###
... ### : qwbetathree --- [New Beta]
###################################################################################
unzip and place the .bsp in where you installed QUAKE, in the dir : /qw/maps/
in-game, type: map qwbetathree
to start it

NOTE: Since this is not the finished version yet, there are no location names set, etc etc...
its just the .bsp file

--- --- ---
--- --- ---
--- --- ---

NOTE:
The name BetaZero [qwbetazero.bsp] is not the final name.
In fact, I don't have a name yet
So if you have a name suggestion as well, then say so.

NOTE:
As you can see, I basically created two sides, a yellowish side (YA+mega) and a redish side (RA)
(Actually inspired by a Q2CTF map called "Stronghold Opposition", ofcourse there the sides are mirrored)
(Only that aspect : two sides, was the inspiration... not the layout or looks of that map)

ITEMS:
- 2 RL's
- 1 LG
- 1 GL
- 1 SSG
- 1 SNG
- 3 rocket packs (5 units)
- 2 cells packs (6 units)
- 1 shells pack (20 units)
- 1 nails pack (25 units)
- 1 RA / 1 YA / 1 GA
- 1 mega (near YA)
- 7 health (25h) packs : grouped like [11][11][1][1][1] --- [placed so you need to leave your 'camp' spot if you want 'm]

--- --- ---
--- --- ---
--- --- ---

NOTE:
I personally like the RA placement.
You can 'step jump' towards it (slow and noisy). [inspired by the YA placement in e1m2 mixed with aerowalk RA placement + own ideas]
If you have enough speed, jump directly to it.
Or RJ to it.
... and note from where you can see the RA (to rocket spam it from a distance ;P)

NOTE: I'm not a fan of designed trick jumps, so I did not design any.
So if you encounter any possible trick jump possible, I didn't design it for that purpose. [!]
I DID design the possibility to fall down silently at the 'air/jump pad' :
AFTER I accidently designed something in another map which had this effect/possibility:
In that map it was NOT designed: I copied it to this map...

(Edited 2015-10-12, 17:03)
2015-10-02, 06:40
133 posts

Dec 2008
Map looks visually nice.
2015-10-02, 18:00
9 posts

Aug 2015
Tried this out in a duel. While I do enjoy how some of the middle area works, the rest of the map has a lot of problems related to gameplay and layout. The most significant part of the map can be reduced to the single hallway which connects the red armor to the yellow and mega room. You can stand half-way between both armors and control both with nothing more than a rocket launcher, and the layout of the map requires you to become visible to the player standing on this platform at least once in passing into either the yellow or red room.

The only opportunity present to take an armor this way is using a quick rocket jump from the stairs below red and hoping the opponent doesn't react to the sound with a rocket shot. I believe you can also sneak across the second floor platform below the third floor hallway, but you can see the entrances and exits to both sides from the third floor. This makes the only part of the map which really matters limited to this one hallway, and makes the duel quite boring.

If you did have to go to other parts of the map, the lightning gun room quickly becomes a very weird deathtrap that you actively avoid because of its obtuse design and overall uselessness due to the lack of LG cells on the map itself. Control can be locked down heavily with only rockets anyway and there's an abundance of rocket packs around the third floor hallway to further dissuade anyone from using that side of the map anyway.

The extensive second floor and first floor go largely unused as well for the same points, you don't have any reason to be down there.

I think you'd need to heavily rework the way all three floors "flow" together as a cohesive map and relocate the major items for the map to really be played in duels.
2015-10-02, 21:32
26 posts

Apr 2012
se-sss wrote:
Map looks visually nice.

Thanks

BoldHugeCrunch
Thank you, I'll look into it, what you said --- and see what ideas I can come up with.
Sometimes it just requires a subtle change in connectivity to change the play completely.

Do you have a demo of your test duel(s) ? Can't find a server where the map is played, and download the demo there, if recorded.

Any other players did a test match ? [1on1/2on2]
If so, with a similair experience as BoldHugeCrunch, or different ?
It would help if you mention the server so I can download the demo of the test.
thanks in advance.
2015-10-03, 18:22
26 posts

Apr 2012
Try this new beta version [qwbetaone]

Differences between betazero, the old one, and and betaone, the new one :

Now 2 teleporters on bottom central floor, instead of 3
Destination of one of them changed...

Closed the doorway on top floor at RL

Created extra area connected with the LG area
In this new area there is also a teleporter.

RL from RA area moved to YA area
GL from YA area moved to RA area

A couple of extra LG ammo added

DOWNLOAD (.bsp in a .zip file)
... ###
... ### Click the Blue Download button to download it. (not any other link also named download
... ###
... ### qwbetaone.zip

Original post now also include this link.
2015-10-07, 17:56
35 posts

Sep 2015
Hi, I played the zero version of this map once, and my opponent destroyed me, so I can barely give appropriate feedback, but I thought the map is pretty big. I mean the overall layout is big, and many of the rooms feel big. I'll look at version one.
2015-10-08, 19:12
26 posts

Apr 2012
@ whte_rbt.obj

You find the map big ?
I mixed a bit wider areas with tighter areas.
If you load it into the map editor along side maps like dm6, aerowalk, and maps like that, its about the same size.
The mid area, 'atrium', is not bigger then the mid area of dm6 for instance.
So I don't know how you get that 'feel big' idea.

Meanwhile i'm at version beta 3, some parts are made a little bit compacter, but I also added parts. Overall size is about the same, but there are more possibilities, connectivity wise... which might give a even more 'bigger feel', especially If you play it for the first time for a short period. After playing it more, you will fly trough the whole map in a few seconds (when no opponents are there, hehe).
I think the updated layout will make 2on2 more interesting... we'll see
I'll upload it soonish.
2015-10-12, 16:53
26 posts

Apr 2012
BetaThree

A lot around the 'atrium' changed.

MAP DOWNLOAD (.bsp in a .zip file)
... ###
... ### Click the Blue Download button to download it.
... ### (NOT any other link also with download in their names) (they are totally other downloadable stuff pushed by google-ad stuff)
... ###
... ### qwbetathree.zip

I also have a demo (you need the map ofcourse)

Demo: 'Local Circles'

Purpose: It may be handy to help learn the map very quickly
It explains (shows) the concept of what I call 'Local Circles'
The whole map containes 'local circles' connected to each other... basically

Another thing that might help is:

The "outer walls" have the dark-grey texture...
The inner-side is 'the atrium' : connecting the 'red' and 'yellow' sides:
the 'two sides': red-side where RA is and yellowish-side where YA+mega are.
that's it ;P

This is that demo: qwb3_demo.zip

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

After watching the demo [6 minutes] It takes about 5 minutes to learn the map basics while playing it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The layout will most likely stay like this.
Maybe tweak items here and there, maybe not.

When I encounter Nisse i''ll ask him to put the map on his ffa server,
not in the map cycle, but votable... so i can arrange some ffa action on it
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  8 posts on 1 page  1