User panel stuff on forum
  26 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2013-07-30, 18:35
188 posts

May 2007
Topic says it all.

I will make a start with my former and only clan Mob of Oddballs, since there is no one from the original line up left and maybe some of the current members dont even know how their own clan name came into being.

I wanted to have the clan prefix [odd] as I thought it would be cool to have [odd] nix on screen. I think in the beginning I didnt even had an idea for a full clan name. So I thought about words that begin with odd and remembered a character from the game Thrill Kill whose name was Oddball. Senft, another original member, wanted something with "of" in the name, like group of oddballs, gang of oddballs or something of that sort. Somebody (I think it was Senft or Rille) came then up with Mob of Oddballs, mostly for the abbreviation Mofo. Everybody except me thought this was a hilarious idea and so Mob of Oddballs got its name and prefix. Much to my dislike.

On a side note: When you go to the wiki page of Mofo you can see a banner with owl eyes. This banner was taken from our clan page we had back then. The story behind this is: Senft didnt know the exact German meaning of Oddball. So I told him that it roughly means "komischer Kauz". "Komischer" means "strange" and Kauz is a kind of owl (or a genus of them).
2013-07-31, 00:49
357 posts

Mar 2006
We threw some silverware on the floor, and the sound it made, made the name

clan [BWANGO]

ok that was 1996 it didnt last long...
2013-07-31, 06:29
370 posts

May 2006
We wanted to sound cool and tough guys, filled with rage and hate against the people and their properties and showing of our English elite skills, thus Murderers and Demolishers (MaD) was picked out of several options, yes back in 1998
Custom maps for the show, episodes for the pro.
2013-07-31, 20:25
142 posts

Jul 2013
[AG]sane - the legendary american player who destroys many.... anyway didn't mean to brag.

I personally did not come up with AG's name but I am not a proud member and in love with AG|John....

American Gangster, we are American and we are Gangsters. Meaning, we will murder anyone who wants to get in our way.
sane
2013-07-31, 21:31
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
Quakeklan, IIRC it was meant to be temporary until we came up with something better... We didn't (Klan is swedish spelling..)
2013-08-01, 11:05
459 posts

Mar 2008
I won't ever take credit for this brilliant name, but it is a good history worth a read.

RI was one of the first clans I joined when I started up. RI-Knurr (Grey Gurnard in english) was my clan nick while I played with them, a fish that I imagined would be less delicate than most other fishies in your rear end because of its tentacles. I seem to recall RI-Makrell (one of the requirements for playing in RI was a fish name) as the main founder and probably inventor of this clan and clanname, but I can't be certain. I also met most of these guys while I played with them during The Gathering 1999(?), where Cataclysm won the 1on1 QW final over Freeman after hiding on DM2 big roof for a good 5 minutes in the last map (at least that is how I remember it). Soon after this TG, I quit QW entirely since my focus was on the 2d motorbike game Action Supercross and later on Elasto Mania. Still, Rectum Intruders will always have a special place in my heart for many reasons.

Rectum Intruders

Somehow, info on Losers Squadron seems to have been blended in this article as well. The first 4 paragraphs are the relevant ones here.
2013-08-01, 13:41
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
nix wrote:
I will make a start with my former and only clan Mob of Oddballs, since there is no one from the original line up left and maybe some of the current members dont even know how their own clan name came into being.

Cool. I am a current member and didn't know.

We actually use the tag mofo now but odd is definitely cooler. I will make sure everyone reverts
2013-08-01, 13:58
188 posts

May 2007
dirtbox wrote:
nix wrote:

Cool. I am a current member and didn't know.

We actually use the tag mofo now but odd is definitely cooler. I will make sure everyone reverts

Then I will maybe make a comeback to QW =)
2013-08-01, 13:58
188 posts

May 2007
double post
2013-08-01, 18:46
News Writer
1267 posts

Jun 2007
SQF - Saerskolans Quakeförening, meaning Special Education Class Quake Club, because we felt like retards when we tried out qw back in 1998
SPLATT - I guess it is just the sound in Swedish when someone is gibbed. around 1999

Ive played in more clans obviously but then I didnt come up with the names so I dont know where they got them from.
Campbusters
Gamblers
UNIK (Unique)
Suddendeath
OLW (most likely from a brand of candy)
Thangorodrim (from lord of the rings?)
Havana Afair (Music album?)
Chosen
Chosen
2013-08-02, 16:49
News Writer
283 posts

Jan 2007
One of the first clans I joined, in 1998, was called The Loughborough Confederation... the name stood out to me as I had been reading (and getting letters printed in) games mag Amiga Power pretty avidly for a few years, and there was a very prolific letter writer from Loughborough who would have letters printed each month, giving Loughborough (a town/city in the UK) notoriety within the mag, being mentioned many times in each issue.

Sure enough, when I looked into the clan I discovered its founder was the very same letter writer, and he remembered me from my own letters which had got printed - so I joined up and eventually took over leadership when he left to go to university or something. Still quite a crazy coincidence.
2013-08-02, 18:53
117 posts

Jan 2006
offtopic but do you remember his name Darff? Wasn't Andy Belton was it?
2013-08-03, 00:57
News Writer
221 posts

Jan 2013
It was founder BM who came up with the name The Vicious Vikings, the obvious link being bloody, norwegian history etc. Here is our old home page. I don't think it was given much more thought than that, and VV being a cool prefix. We were one of the first clans in Norway, founded in the late summer of 1996. I was 15 at the time.

We were not the worst norwegian clan, but nowhere near the best, like Carnage Clan (CaC), Spawn Clan (SC) and later Gameover (GO). To our defense, I will add that we were mostly modem players, some on ISDN, while CaC and SC played on university T1 lines. I was on an old, noisy US Robotics modem with around 250 in ping. Later I got it down to around 60 on ISDN, I think. Man, those phone bills were high.

Stalin was the best norwegian player in the beginning, then came Sectopod. As there was no TB3 back then, I remember a lot of matches on weird maps, and it was home map and away map scores put together to determin a winner, so it was usually all about winning big enough on home ground. Ours was E4M3, lots of quads, lots of spawn frags, and other clans were often clueless there. I remember beating Nasty Beasts Inc (NBI) over two maps as a big moment in VVs history - a clan with players like Crazymac, Heksen and Griffin (though I don't remember who played against us). I wish I had those screenshots!

I quit Quake when I went off to university, late 1999, as did most of the original members around the same time, and I think VV was pretty dead around 2001.

We (with BM as main organizer) also held around 10 LAN-parties in Asker (30 mins from Oslo) called AskerLAN. I know there were some foreign people/clans on some of these LANs too, but now I can only remember Brutal Deluxe. For those in a nostalgic mood, here is a thorough report from the 1st AskerLAN, 14th-16th Feb 1997 (I was Dustman, btw).

It seems web.archive.org has even saved some old pictures, like here and here. Some examples:

Sectopod - he brought a fan for performance boosting cooling effect, of course. No wonder he won everything.
http://web.archive.org/web/20031128182830im_/http://alan.vv.no/Pictures/AlanIV/secto.jpg

Trygve aka Leon in aug. 97.
http://web.archive.org/web/20031128182830im_/http://alan.vv.no/Pictures/AlanIV/vv.jpg
2013-08-03, 13:18
459 posts

Mar 2008
Thats quite some knowledge on Norwegian QW history you seem to possess, Erlend. Have you considered contributing to the wiki pages? The Norwegian section is a bit poor
2013-08-03, 15:20
News Writer
221 posts

Jan 2013
I've tried, but can't edit the wiki. Btw - Rectum Intruders played VV a couple of times in 98. Unable to tell who played, tho.
2013-08-03, 15:57
News Writer
283 posts

Jan 2007
gore - nope, was Brett Davids. Think he also wrote to Digitiser, the teletext gaming mag thing.
2013-08-03, 22:39
117 posts

Jan 2006
ah ok, just wondering as I found a 1997 PC Gamer with some Loughborough letters in

edit: actually Brett Davids wrote one of them I'll try and scan a pic tomorrow.
2013-08-04, 10:01
Administrator
384 posts

Dec 2006
The only clan name I had any input on was "Hyphen".
This came about because when we formed the clan one of the guys (DarkWarrior I think) was keen to have a simple "-" as our team name and he asked me what this symbol was called in English. People seemed to like it so it stuck.

It was quite amusing to hear Sassa trying to pronounce this word in commentary... "hyppien" or so was how it sounded to an Englishman
2013-08-13, 19:59
2 posts

Aug 2013
AskerLAN was great! Brutal Deluxe went there two times. Speaking of Norwegian clans... I was looking at a demo where we squared off with a team called GW with players like ninjaflip and doink. Can anyone tell me what GW stood for?
2013-08-14, 07:31
459 posts

Mar 2008
BD-Calvin wrote:
AskerLAN was great! Brutal Deluxe went there two times. Speaking of Norwegian clans... I was looking at a demo where we squared off with a team called GW with players like ninjaflip and doink. Can anyone tell me what GW stood for?

It could be Grendel Warriors? At least the first thing that popped into my mind.

edit: most likely is: -
2013-08-14, 12:15
26 posts

Oct 2012
Our team Paras is finnish and means "The best." Of course that was a joke because we knew we were going to lose all our games back then. Afterwards we really became the best! <-- that was a joke too, maybe we are never going to be equivalent to our name.
2013-08-15, 00:06
News Writer
221 posts

Jan 2013
BD-Calvin wrote:

Grendel Warriors it was, as Rikoll said. Btw, here you are Calvin at AskerLAN in 97:
http://web.archive.org/web/20031128182830im_/http://alan.vv.no/Pictures/AlanIV/sweds.jpg

So are you still playing, Calvin?

(Sorry about the off topic twist)
2013-08-15, 05:05
2 posts

Aug 2013
Man, 16 years ago... The question mark-guy is BD-Golden :-)

I'm not playing any multiplayer games these days. The last time BD played was in 2005 (or something like that) when we drove down to Copenhagen and met up with the guys from NBI and played a bunch of games in an internet cafe.

The reason I asked about GW was because I'm currently converting a bunch of old QW demos and putting them on youtube. I found that I had a bunch of demos from AskerLAN and one of them was against Grendel Warriors: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dze02cYCHQA

To put the topic back on track: we chose Brutal Deluxe because Speedball 2 was a kick ass game :-)
2013-12-08, 22:58
1 post

Dec 2013
BD-Calvin wrote:

This was strange Running in to this nostalgic page. Nice seeing you again Calvin ! Long time
As erlend said correctly. It was Grendel warriors.

Erlend: Is it really good old dustman ?
2013-12-10, 11:14
462 posts

Jan 2006
Our clan name was originally Winged Viper Clan [WVC] and I think it was changed to the Viper Squad when Q2 came out. After a while we realized though that Q2 sucks and stuck with QW. I guess no one who knows the exact origins of the name has been around in a long long time.
2013-12-11, 20:39
News Writer
221 posts

Jan 2013
doink wrote:
Erlend: Is it really good old dustman ?

Oh yes it is!
  26 posts on 1 page  1