User panel stuff on forum
  10 posts on 1 page  1
Help
2012-12-31, 18:51
3 posts

Dec 2012
So looking around the forums I see a lot of info, but some seems outdated. I recently picked up Quake on Steam on sale since I grew up playing this game and loving it.I found EzQuake and while reading about it I found Nquake. I installed Nquake since it looked like it had more stuff in it, but after installing I was sort of confused. I was under the impression I would need to add a bunch of files to my Quake folder in Steam, but it seems to be a separate game on its own. I also noticed it has a timer running at the top. I can't seem to find any info on changing my original Quake game with Nquake files. From what I see it doesn't work that way.

Basically what I was looking to do is update the graphics and possibly play online multiplayer with some friends. Any help would be appreciated.
Mike
2013-01-01, 01:06
Administrator
334 posts

Jan 2006
What you buy from steam is 16 years old distributed package from id1. nquake is community driven with all the up2date stuff for quakeworld that we use for competitive gaming today. so basically you are paying for the rights to use a legit version of quake1 (pakfiles). So stick with nquake install

There are other client alternatives as well like fodquake, etc. but 99% uses ezquake i reckon, which is the client included in the nquake install.
ready!
2013-01-01, 01:22
28 posts

Oct 2011
Install nQuake in Steam quake folder, rename ezQuake exe file in Winquake and replace original winquake.exe
2013-01-01, 09:19
50 posts

Oct 2009
Or you could just install nQuake in a completely separate folder. Assuming you only want to play multiplayer, nQuake has everything you need, including maps.
2013-01-01, 09:24
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
You could move pak1.pak from your Quake directory to your nQuake\id1\ directory. That would give you all original maps and singleplayer. It's a richer experience.
2013-01-01, 12:23
364 posts

Oct 2006
I bought Quake on Steam yesterday, too Followed the link on nquake.com, saw Quake on sale for $2 and couldn't resist.

Ended up buying $20 worth of other heavily discounted stuff though I see now how Steam's business model works even when you can easily torrent most of the games on offer.
2013-01-01, 12:42
364 posts

Oct 2006
And yes, pak1.pak is the single most important thing you get when you buy Quake today. It's one of the two data files, pak0.pak and pak1.pak, containing all the content of the game -- maps, models, sounds... but pak0.pak you can get for free as part of shareware Quake.

The rest of the files you see in your Steam Quake folder, they're pretty much rubbish. The dll's are from Windows 95 days, not needed anymore. And for the binaries (WinQuake, GLQuake...), there are much better modern alternatives -- like nQuake.
2013-01-01, 15:53
3 posts

Dec 2012
Happy New Year and thanks for the info guys!!

empezar wrote:
You could move pak1.pak from your Quake directory to your nQuake\id1\ directory. That would give you all original maps and singleplayer. It's a richer experience.

I think I will try this and see how it goes.
2013-01-01, 17:41
1100 posts

Jan 2006
For singleplayer you would be much better off with http://directq.codeplex.com/

Out of curiousity, how did you find nQuake?
2013-01-01, 22:49
3 posts

Dec 2012
Spirit wrote:
For singleplayer you would be much better off with http://directq.codeplex.com/

Out of curiousity, how did you find nQuake?

I remember a while ago reading that their was a community that had a graphics update for the game. After buying Quake on Steam I started searching for it online. Found EZquake then on their site they mention Nquake.
  10 posts on 1 page  1