User panel stuff on forum
  12 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2012-06-13, 06:55
375 posts

Sep 2009
I want to make a suggestion, mostly a simple suggestion, couse I don't know the webmasters, and from here (brasil) I don't have much access to them...

What about a world-wide BIG DONATION to all important websites, like:

challenge-tv.com
qw-dev.net
quakeservers.net (if needed)

and obviously, this one, quakeworld.nu!

I see that some sites eventually get broken, like last year, challenge-tv was compleatly broken, and still is a little bit (registration/logins)

I see many championships with Money Pool involved... and I even thought about donating a small amount of money (just to encourage the players)

But if someone make a project, donating for worldwide supporters of QW, I would be very happy to donate a large quantity!

(I love QW, and I would be very, VERY SAD, if one day I see databases like challenge-tv gone forever!!!)
(QW Nickname: AL.Kernell)
2012-06-14, 11:01
1435 posts

Jan 2006
One thing is money, the other thing is time (or motivation, which is the same thing). The older the player and admin base grows, money becomes less important - we have jobs that earn us money and running a website for just a few hundreds of users is quite cheap nowadays.

But the time, on the other hand, becomes more and more an issue. Personally it'd be much easier for me to quickly donate some money where it is needed right now than to dedicate a few hours/days to do some tedious tasks that are required to keep some site/project alive.

This is the main reason why in recent years I was emphasizing quite a lot that the scene needs new players, because new players also means new people with free time that they can dedicate to the community. Sadly the general turn that happened in last two years was in the direction of supporting the old players, giving them what they want, and basically conserving the game in it's current state. It's a valid way to go too, but I think one of the consequences will be that some sites/project will eventually die.

Anyway, this all is just my opinion, but it comes from a long time experience in QW open source projects like ezQuake where I've been able to see how changes in developers' personal lives change how much they can contribute to the scene.
2012-06-14, 13:06
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
I think JohnNy_cz said it... I don't think money is the problem in this case but motivation.

If you want to donate - feel free to donate to tournaments that actually need them! Donate here!

Yours,
Andeh
2012-06-14, 13:44
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Johnny is spot on indeed...
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2012-06-14, 19:32
253 posts

Nov 2007
qw is dead
cheat 2 win!
2012-06-14, 21:45
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
I want moar of our sites updated :|
Join us on discord.quake.world
2012-06-15, 05:47
253 posts

Nov 2007
but all in all... the old qw.nu was far better then this.
cheat 2 win!
2012-06-15, 08:40
375 posts

Sep 2009
First of all: Jon Snow, what are u doing here then? are you a zombie? back from the dead? =]

Thanks for the truthful awnser, JohnNy_cz, and thanks Andeh for the tip (I tried to donate to HYMN but I have a paypal acount without a credit card (I don't have one) and I couldn't find another way to pay, like a online transfer..)
if someone knows a way to donate to HYMN of Hope, without a creditcard number, please tell me!

I started this thread couse I think (correct me if i'm wrong) some sites like challange-tv aren't owned by qw players, and maybe a money contribution would help keeping them alive..

But I agree that the best thing to do is to bring new players! everytime I see a newcomer needing help I give full assistance, and also I try my best to encourage new people to start playing.. (very hard, isn't it?)

(I don't know shittt about websites, just some hot autohotkey scripts, and a little c++ programming...) (I made a autohotkey script that reads qconsole.log (the last bytes) from ezquake, in realtime, and convert them, and shows it in a baloon tip over the Tray, in Windows) instantly, with a Hotkey, to see what players are talking when I'm at windows)

i'll post it here later!

bye!

(Edited 2012-06-15, 08:41)
2012-06-17, 08:59
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
wow, wenerml - I'm really interested in that script if you wanna share! sounds cool
Join us on discord.quake.world
2012-06-18, 08:48
375 posts

Sep 2009
Hey bps! glad to see someone interested!

I was postponing the distribution of my script, couse (besides from lazyness) I think most people (even with programming skills) doesn't know AutoHotkey well...

but the language is like THE MOST SIMPLE comparing to ANY programming language... so, tomorrow I'll make a well-explained (commented) version, and will post it here...

(it's not very simple, couse I made it monitoring Windows taskbar flashing apps... so, when ezQuake flashes on the taskbar (somebody talked), the script reads qconsole.log, instantly convert colored characters, and Shows at the Tray (with a Baloon Tip)... and if ezQuake is not "minimized" (if you are playing) it does nothing...

but people don't need to understand how it works, I can just rewrite a version that you just open, Configure (only once) the Path to your qconsole.log, and then you control (stop/close) it by it's tray-icon...
(and also, the "qconsole.log" needs to exist, by adding the -condebug command to the ezquake command line)

(DON'T BE SCARED if someone doesn't understand programming, i'll post a very simple version tomorrow!)
2012-06-20, 08:43
375 posts

Sep 2009
hey bps, here is the first (alpha) simple version (fully working):

http://www.quakeworld.nu/forum/topic/5791/ezquake-notifier-by-al-kernell-
2012-10-15, 17:46
685 posts

Jul 2007
[nevermind]

(Edited 2012-10-16, 00:05)