User panel stuff on forum
  123 posts on 5 pages  First page12345Last page
General Discussion
2011-11-17, 18:47
Administrator
334 posts

Jan 2006
Yeah sounds like a great idea to me
make 2 big divisions for EQL, have pro draft for mix, and pro tournament for top clans.

Noobs can play with lots of clans in EQL, and prac on the side.
Pro's get lot more playtime due to the draft, and more fun tournament for top clans with better coverage, instead of a lol season in EQL where 100% of teams go to playoffs and bottom teams always give up cause they don't have a chance.
ready!
2011-11-17, 19:18
110 posts

Mar 2010
I think it's important that there are captains picking their teams, so it won't be a case of the top1-2 in the clan feeling that they were randomly paired with some idiots.

That might happen anyway but i think everyone in the team will be more willing to fight for their team if they feel hand-picked and not just someone telling them to play with those dudes.

Atleast that's what i feel. I don't wanna be forced to play on Para's team if he doesn't want me, but if he picked me from a few other medium skill players that's probably a better situation since he chose to play with me (in his opinion the best option available) and not that he was paired with some donkey he had no say in.

Also for me it would feel better if someone picked me, that would lessen the feeling of just being in the way or whatever.
2011-11-18, 05:43
123 posts

Mar 2006
ParadokS wrote:
Also another interesting aspect. How will the draft project affect the idea of being in, or forming new clans?

I can't say, but I can tell you what happened with us. After IDL new clans were much rarer and people focused more on IDL. Clans still exist but most of them are from the old days pre-IDL and all of them are considered quite good. The IDL mostly killed clans for us. I used to be in probably one of the best if not best clan but I quit over some BS and haven't bothered to join another clan in 2 years. I'd rather just play IDL as it's more fun, has more players, is more competitive and teams are more willing to play each other. Forfeits are very rare in the IDL because the season is relatively short (9 weeks) and we have 12 teams so it's often hard to say who is best until it's done, then the season starts over again fresh. Clans usually know who's better before they play, which is rather boring and makes playing almost pointless at times.

Let's be honest however, all of EU QW is dying, not just Div1. Teams are way down from past seasons and it's an ongoing trend. Division system shares some ideas with a draft league but it's not perfect. At the top (div1) and bottom (div3) especially there can be large gaps if all the best or all the worst players are on the same teams. A draft system goes farther it divides up talent individually so it's more fair. If you have two teams made up of a roster like this div0,div1,div2,div3 and they play each other it'll be basically fair. It'd be hard to predict what team would win before hand. That's why I think a draft league is much more interesting for everyone involved. Bad players don't need to be great they just need to do enough so they contribute more than the bad players on other teams.

I've always wanted to get everyone involved who is serious into the IDL, meaning they practice and show for matches, but I also understand trying to maintain a high skill level overall too. If people aren't serious and active, fuck them, they shouldn't be in any league, not even in Div3. I think even an elite only focused draft league would be great for EU QW. When the NA QW scene died it went from like 8-10 clans to almost none over night then a 4v4 tourney never happened again and 4v4 play went down dramatically. 4v4 is the life blood of QW. The NA scene was dominated by AG(then Boss, all ex-AG) forever, it was boring and hopeless. AG were good at QW but they were even better at the meta game of politics ensuring they always had the top talent. When Def got pushed out of AG/Boss he ended up losing to his old team. They were called American Gangsters for a reason.

If the scene is big enough you don't need a draft league but once a scene gets smaller and smaller a draft league makes much more impact. I just think it'd be a shame to exclude active and serious low skill players. You can make fair teams in a draft league with people of all skills. The IDL works with the best playing alongside bad players, but these bad players don't play in official matches much, they usually ride the bench. The main point however is they are still involved in the league and they usually want to get better so they can play more. They still play a lot of mix games to improve and they practice with their teams. Captains draft who they want so they have a lot of leeway to decide who they think is the best pick for their team out of the remaining players. Some players never get picked in the IDL draft but some bad players do get picked. Sometimes people who are supposedly bad end up being better than anyone thought.

I look forward to seeing what ideas you guys end up using in the end and all the great demos that will come from it. :-)
  123 posts on 5 pages  First page12345Last page