User panel stuff on forum
  31 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page
Help
2010-08-28, 00:26
17 posts

Aug 2010
im a q2 player and i wanted to start some qw,but i have some problems:
1-i have a very old pc (8 mb graohic card and 64 mb ram),it does not support open gl,i use software
2-i use windows 98
2-what client should i use(ez quake and nquake does not work cause old pc)
3-is their anticheat or sth(if yes, does it work in windows 98) ?

thx for the help
2010-08-28, 07:13
61 posts

Jan 2006
Maybe you should go to recycling center and get 100x better computer for free!
2010-08-28, 10:08
59 posts

Mar 2010
Heh, Diki speaks the truth! Even my first 3d card was better than that (voodoo2 12mb!) And that's long long ago...

Qw might work with that setup but not with best fps, depends what processor you have though (minimum 400mhz imo, and still that 8mb might be too little for 3d).
I'm talking about 77fps here.

Ezquake should work (or well not with the default candysettings...)? - If not then get mqwcl 0.96. http://hem.passagen.se/mjyyk/mqwcl/files/mqwcl-096-win32.zip

Noneed any specific anticheat.

But seriously get some gigahertz processor pc from somewhere for free.
2010-08-28, 11:01
398 posts

Feb 2006
I just threw away my 10 year old 650 mhz with Geforce 3, 512 mb ram. I'm sure people threw away far better computers than that
2010-08-28, 12:32
364 posts

Oct 2006
Hagge, next time you wanna throw away something like that, please mail me the RAM at least. And the gfx card. And the processor. Damn, tell me your address, I'll fly from Russia to pick it all up.

Something's so wrong with throwing away hardware that was any geek's wet dream in a not-so-distant past
2010-08-28, 21:02
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
I have a Athlon 64 3000+ s754 with moderboard just lying around, dunno what to do with it... Feels like its slow as hell these days. A 650MHz, jesus, hardly even does the work as a router, what would you use that for?
2010-08-29, 08:52
398 posts

Feb 2006
Haha Tonik, I will keep that in mind!
To play qw on fog! It actually worked pretty good for that
2010-08-29, 12:35
17 posts

Aug 2010
thx for the help,mqwcl works in software but the server browser included on it does not seems to work,if you can, can you tell me how to make it work(i readed the manuel but it is not helping at all)
about processor,mine is an amd k6-3DNOW (500mhz)
2010-08-29, 19:51
626 posts

Jan 2006
tonik, i have an amd 6000+ x2 and 2gb GDDR3 1066mhz ram laying in a box here at home, i could send you those for free, but you still need to buy an motherboard etc
2010-08-30, 04:47
685 posts

Jul 2007
sofiene wrote:
thx for the help,mqwcl works in software but the server browser included on it does not seems to work,if you can, can you tell me how to make it work(i readed the manuel but it is not helping at all)
about processor,mine is an amd k6-3DNOW (500mhz)

Why not get a new budget PC? Even a modern budget PC can be great for QW. Especially when you build it yourself, or when you pick a PC store that builds PC according to the customer's wishes. If you choose an system containing an AMD Athlon II 250 (3 GHZ dual core CPU), and a Nvidia GT 240 vidcard, you can be playing QW at great settings.

I'm on an AMD X2 3800 myself with a GF7600GS, which you can probably get second handed for (pretty much) free these days. I'm still using it 'cause it's such a nice rig, even though you can't play new games on it (don't intend too so I don't care).
2010-08-30, 12:07
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
Who was the 2 people voting 'no' on this?
2010-08-30, 14:58
398 posts

Feb 2006
Must've been niw and kingpin!
2010-08-30, 16:07
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
Tonik wrote:
Hagge, next time you wanna throw away something like that, please mail me the RAM at least. And the gfx card. And the processor. Damn, tell me your address, I'll fly from Russia to pick it all up.

Something's so wrong with throwing away hardware that was any geek's wet dream in a not-so-distant past

+1
2010-08-30, 17:20
17 posts

Aug 2010
i cant get a new pc,it is exepencive here,i have to play with this old one at leaste for the next 5 years

so how can i join a server?,is their a serverbrowser ?
and i tryed to connect to xs4all server but after downloading the map,i didnt join the game,i just still in console(didnt even entered to the server)
what should i do ?
2010-08-30, 19:55
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
Here you can browse various qw servers: http://www.quakeservers.net/quakeworld/servers/

For example, FFA servers: http://www.quakeservers.net/quakeworld/servers/t=ffa/

Are you able to play locally? In other words, if you just load quake, and then type "map dm2" in the console, does it load the map and are you able to run around?
2010-08-30, 20:16
303 posts

Jun 2007
Man, tell us where you live, if in Europe we could send you some parts for free i have two GF 2MX 64MB, one Radeon (don't remember the model), Celeron 2,4 GHz (Prescott) and some RAM lying in the box. As long as price of shipment isn't horribly expensive i'm willing to send you these part for free.
2010-08-30, 22:53
17 posts

Aug 2010
well i live in tunisia (north afrika,if you realy want to send the part so thank you very much )
im a q2 player like i said (software mode with 25 fps)i use a server browser to connect,if there is a serverbrowser for qw so tell me where i find it
i cant connect when i type in console(connect quake.xs4all.nl:27500,i can only connect without the port(no 27500) but i cant play it just download the map and still no in the game)

again thx for the help
2010-08-30, 23:20
685 posts

Jul 2007
sofiene wrote:
well i live in tunisia (north afrika,if you realy want to send the part so thank you very much )
im a q2 player like i said (software mode with 25 fps)i use a server browser to connect,if there is a serverbrowser for qw so tell me where i find it
i cant connect when i type in console(connect quake.xs4all.nl:27500,i can only connect without the port(no 27500) but i cant play it just download the map and still no in the game)

again thx for the help

I really don't think you'd have fun on xs4all ffa because there are too many good ffa players there with low ping (much lower then yours) and they have better hardware and therefore play with higher settings + use weapon scripts. I don't think it's wise to go there because it will just be a negative experience (you'd only spawn and die).

Are you REALLY sure you are using a QuakeWorld client? If you use normal Quake, you cannot connect to a QuakeWorld server.

A nice, simple server scanner for QW: http://www.bdamage.se/

Perhaps, in your case, it's better not to play quakeworld, but netquake (normal quake). You can try both and see what gives you the best experience. The netquake community (always willing to help) is here: www.quakeone.com
They probably would recommend ProQuake as client, which looks much like the old fashion quake with less bugs and cheat free. It should work on win98 as well.

http://quakeone.com/proquake/

You should have two separate Quake folders, one for QW and one for Netquake. Otherwise you'll mess up your settings constantly.
2010-09-01, 00:42
685 posts

Jul 2007
Hagge wrote:
I just threw away my 10 year old 650 mhz with Geforce 3, 512 mb ram. I'm sure people threw away far better computers than that

Pimp

But indeed, I got an athlon XP 2000 laying around with a GF4400 ... and a GF6600 (plus older stuff, like voodoo 1 and voodoo 3).
2010-09-01, 13:51
17 posts

Aug 2010
m sure that i use a qw client(i downloaded quake 1 and an old quakewold client)
but i still cant connect to the xs4all server
p.s: is their a way to make the game look more bright cause it is very dark in software ?
2010-09-02, 02:28
685 posts

Jul 2007
sofiene wrote:
m sure that i use a qw client(i downloaded quake 1 and an old quakewold client)
but i still cant connect to the xs4all server
p.s: is their a way to make the game look more bright cause it is very dark in software ?

Yes, type 'gamma' in the console and experiment with different values, like 0.8, or 0.7 etc. Default is 1.
2010-09-09, 08:02
126 posts

Oct 2006
send him a computer ><
2011-03-14, 23:17
17 posts

Aug 2010
ok,as you may have noticed,im new in Quakeworld,so i have some questions to ask :
1-where can i find the clients needed for QW ?
2-where can i find the pak or zip file that containe all QW maps needed for Duel and EURO leagues ?
3-is bright skins legal ? if yes,where can i find bright skins for software mode ?
4-is there a tutorial about how to make good cfgs (with settings,weapon drop,team binds..) ?
5-is there an anticheat that had to be installed with the client ?
2011-03-14, 23:24
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
God I wish that I was in Tunisia with one of my old computers and could help this fella out
2011-03-15, 03:38
252 posts

Dec 2006
sofiene wrote:
ok,as you may have noticed,im new in Quakeworld,so i have some questions to ask :
1-where can i find the clients needed for QW ?
2-where can i find the pak or zip file that containe all QW maps needed for Duel and EURO leagues ?
3-is bright skins legal ? if yes,where can i find bright skins for software mode ?
4-is there a tutorial about how to make good cfgs (with settings,weapon drop,team binds..) ?
5-is there an anticheat that had to be installed with the client ?

Are you sure you couldn't get the software-rendering version of the ezquake client? (there are seperate .EXEs for GL and software) Maybe you could try an older version of ezquake.exe.
If you downloaded the nquake package that will have everything you need (and more, due to your hardware limitations) and you can add your preferred client (e.g. software fuhquake or mqwcl) to the nquake folder (nquake used to include fuhquake and mqw clients. It doesn't anymore?).

You will need 77 fps to play well, to increase fps you should use /d_mipcap 3 , /d_mipscale 3 commands which will make everything look ugly like lego toy blocks (if they were dirty green brown grey) and turn off explosions r_explosiontype 0 (?), and dynamic lighting r_dynamic 0, and many other tweaks that i can't remember.

If you use IRC someone in #quakeworld on quakenet will probably be willing to help you out with configs and basic questions.

Good luck with rebellion and popular struggle in your country!
'on 120 ping i have beaten mortuary dirtbox and reload' (tm) mz adrenalin
'i watched sting once very boring and not good at all' (tm) mz adrenalin
[i]'i shoulda won all
2011-03-16, 14:08
17 posts

Aug 2010
thank you for the replay,but where can i find bright skins for software mode ? (like players are all colored with green or blue or smth)
2011-03-16, 14:45
459 posts

Mar 2008
sofiene wrote:
thank you for the replay,but where can i find bright skins for software mode ? (like players are all colored with green or blue or smth)

Maybe these will work: http://gfx.quakeworld.nu/details/210/fuhquake/
2011-03-16, 20:41
Administrator
384 posts

Dec 2006
megalodon wrote:
I really don't think you'd have fun on xs4all ffa because there are too many good ffa players there with low ping (much lower then yours) and they have better hardware and therefore play with higher settings + use weapon scripts. I don't think it's wise to go there because it will just be a negative experience (you'd only spawn and die).

I'd disagree because XS4all ffa is probably the most active QW server in the world and has a very wide range of skill players on there, in part because it is such an old server hostname (well over 10 years old) that it is still listed on the outdated master servers I think that complete newbies might stumble upon. FFA is IMHO the best way for a beginner to learn QW, it has weapon stay and you can learn the basic skills like movement, aiming, weapons, map/item layout etc etc quite well. Yes obviously new players will die a lot but also they can make some frags and it isn't like jumping into a 1on1/4on4 game where you go 3 minutes without making a frag.

Also there is a rookie port (27502) that you can try although normally it is empty.
2011-03-16, 22:23
17 posts

Aug 2010
Rikoll wrote:

they doesnt work,i replaced the original ones with these ones in that link but i still have the same skins

i use mqwcl btw
2011-03-17, 00:18
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
sofiene wrote:
i use mqwcl btw

Hehe, you might wanna mention that in every post you ask questions in

I think skins handling in mqwcl was something like: /tp_skin teamskin enemyskin - Then there should be something like /tp_color teamtop teambottom enemytop enemybottom - and /tp_skinboth, /tp_skinquad etc

Anyways, that should work with those fuhquake pcx base skins
  31 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page