User panel stuff on forum
  16 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2010-06-03, 18:25
685 posts

Jul 2007
Does anyone have experience with modern laptops and qw? I'm seriously thinking about buying a laptop that could replace my desktop for most things, but I don't usually see anything about Response Timing in the specs. I'm thinking about a Sony Vaio F11 (or similar) or Asus N71JQ...

I'm not that serious in quake, but it would be nice if you pay that kind of money for a laptop that it's possible to play qw as well ofcourse. I'm currently using an Acer monitor, AL1916W, that has 8 MS Responce Timing. So if the laptops could match that, then that's good enough for me.
2010-06-03, 19:54
271 posts

Feb 2006
check where the vent is. if you're going to run demanding stuff, you do not want the laptop spewing out hot air all over your hand constantly. just a thought.
just get a laptop with a recognisable gpu manufacturer. anything can run quake nowadays, well, anything but intel gpus. but hey, that's not due to actual hardware specs.
moo
2010-06-03, 20:26
61 posts

Jan 2006
Get a 3D vision laptop that has 120hz screen...

http://3dvision-blog.com/tag/120hz-laptop/
2010-06-04, 10:19
198 posts

Oct 2006
Most laptop have a dual GFX card so you can easily connect a decent monitor to it. Good for LANs, if you cba with carrying a whole PC with you
2010-06-04, 11:07
693 posts

Jan 2006
I play on a laptop these days, with a monitor, KB and mouse connected. I get a steady 150fps, and it's only a Macbook, so not exactly a graphical powerhouse.
2010-06-04, 11:35
685 posts

Jul 2007
Spike/Ventilator: Eh... isn't the vent always blowing out of the back or side of a laptop? I mean, I don't think it blows through the keyboard, right? So how can it blow over my hands?

Diki: Well, that other Asus I mentioned has two separate hdd's with total of 1 GB. It also has the Intel Core i7 720QM and, as far as I can see a decent gpu as well. So I'm not sure if I want to pay more money for a smaller laptop (15" instead of 17" only because it's a gaming laptop with 120hz. To be honest this whole hz-hype is not that interesting to me as casual ffa quaker. But, nevertheless, it does look as a nice laptop.

Faustov: Yeah, but I never go to a LAN As a matter of fact, I'm seriously thinking about getting a laptop, but I'm still in doubt because for that money I can built a monster pc. However, with a laptop I can use it to play a backing track for giving guitar lessons, or I can plug it in my flatscreen tv for watching movies via HDMI, or I can bring it with me to my folks, etc. Basicly you pay for that mobility.

gaz: Well, yeah that's always possible but isn't my idea of a laptop (except for using external mouse). I suppose your not using a 2010 macbook pro right? Cause that would probably give more fps then 150...

What I dislike ... alot... is that a laptop charging time can be even longer then the actual using time. Since I don't know shit about laptops: can you keep it plugged in a wall socket or do you always need the battery?
2010-06-04, 12:55
693 posts

Jan 2006
No mine is a 2009 Macbook... it has the aluminium unibody. It's the equivalent of the current entry-level Macbook Pro.
2010-06-04, 20:58
271 posts

Feb 2006
megalodon wrote:
What I dislike ... alot... is that a laptop charging time can be even longer then the actual using time. Since I don't know shit about laptops: can you keep it plugged in a wall socket or do you always need the battery?

You can use it while its charging, yeah. It'll just charge a little slower. It might not switch on if you discharge it fully, but operating systems will generally auto-shutdown before that happens anyway.

Depends how you use laptops. Some of them have vents on the back, some on the left, some on the right. This means your left hand (I'm assuming you're right handed) will be on the keyboard, and your right hand on a mouse that you've plugged in. Chances are you'll want both hands about the same distance from your torso (as its more comfortable to have them them bent), so you'll have your right hand on the right of the laptop keyboard. Which may be where the vent is attempting to incinerate all life.
They're called notebooks instead of laptops for a reason - put one on your lap and you'll make yourself infertile from the heat!
Actually, mine isn't that bad, but I've seen ones that are not pleasent to use in summer, to put it mildly.
moo
2010-06-04, 21:46
News Writer
1267 posts

Jun 2007
lol

just plug in: mouse, keyboard, 22" screen and headphones.... put the laptop on the side and you wont notice its even there... dont play on the laptop screen and its keyboard.
Chosen
2010-06-05, 01:18
685 posts

Jul 2007
Spike wrote:
so you'll have your right hand on the right of the laptop keyboard. Which may be where the vent is attempting to incinerate all life.

Well, in winter time that might actually come in handy
2010-06-05, 01:18
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
My M1730 with dual 8800M does the job for quake and other games (Although now I have a desktop again as well...)

Anyway, it is probably a bit out of most people's price range :X

One note: On power laptops I don't even use the battery. If it lasts an hour, you are lucky (and my M1730 batteries no longer work at all) and usually when you are on battery power it will be trying to save power (read: lower fps) so you should always be plugged in on a laptop. Which defeats most of the purpose of a laptop, except that it is a lot easier to transport to lans than a desktop
2010-06-05, 02:11
685 posts

Jul 2007
Yeah, and I suppose it uses less power then a desktop... lower energy bill...
2010-06-05, 16:03
1100 posts

Jan 2006
Don't forget to choose one with nvidia graphics.
2010-06-05, 22:55
303 posts

Jun 2007
Seriously, if someone is going to buy laptop to play QW and some other games (MMOs, QL etc.) , choose something from mid-price range. These have hardware good enough to give lots of FPS (more than screen Hz), and don't suck energy like monsters. My friend bought AlienWare gaming laptop year ago - battery is dead now, and when it was new, it lasted about 2 hours , with basic stuff like web-browsing (my dads cheap ASUS is four years old, and still runs about 2,5 hours on the same battery). This removes biggest laptop advantage - mobility. There is no reason to get one if it will be constantly plugged in, with external keyboard, mouse, and monitor. Better build yourself decent gaming rig for the same or less money.
2010-06-06, 02:59
685 posts

Jul 2007
Herb wrote:
Seriously, if someone is going to buy laptop to play QW and some other games (MMOs, QL etc.) , choose something from mid-price range. These have hardware good enough to give lots of FPS (more than screen Hz), and don't suck energy like monsters. My friend bought AlienWare gaming laptop year ago - battery is dead now, and when it was new, it lasted about 2 hours , with basic stuff like web-browsing (my dads cheap ASUS is four years old, and still runs about 2,5 hours on the same battery). This removes biggest laptop advantage - mobility. There is no reason to get one if it will be constantly plugged in, with external keyboard, mouse, and monitor. Better build yourself decent gaming rig for the same or less money.

It's not specifically for qw. I want to be able to do everything on it. But indeed, for the same money I can build a monster pc.
2010-06-06, 09:07
News Writer
1267 posts

Jun 2007
it is easier to transport but thats about it
Chosen
  16 posts on 1 page  1