User panel stuff on forum
  8 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2009-08-02, 18:05
28 posts

Feb 2008
Hey.

Had a little bit of a party at my place the other night and someone thought it was a good idea to drop a Staropramen on my good old Icemat. I learned two things; it actually is not a good idea and a Staropramen bottle is stronger than a glass mousepad.

I have a friend who works for Microsoft and he said he could get me any Steelseries pad I wanted, so my question is: which pad (or "surface" which it apparently is called nowadays..) should I go for?
I think I wanna try o cloth one and I generally want my mouse to be as slippery as possible.. suggestions?

http://www.steelseries.com/int/products/surfaces
http://www.myspace.com/cervello
2009-08-02, 20:16
347 posts

Feb 2006
Well, cloth is actually one of the least 'slippery' or, shall we say, friction-free materials you can get. Plastic, glass and metal have far less friction than cloth. A good compromise would be the SteelSeries 5L, which is a cloth pad (technically it has 5 layers, not all cloth, but the top layer is cloth), but is very hard for a cloth pad, so it has very low friction. I've seen it wears out quickly though, so dunno. I'm quite happy with my S&S plastic pad except the rubber stuff on the back is wearing off, so it doesn't stick so well to the table any more. I do take it with me far more than most people would do so your mileage will vary. The most important thing, I think, is to get good 'feet' for your mouse, or 'gliders' as they are also called.
2009-08-02, 23:17
1329 posts

Apr 2006
ljuglampa wrote:
I think I wanna try o cloth one and I generally want my mouse to be as slippery as possible.. suggestions?

Read this

I have to say Razer eXactmat is even more slippery than any of those reviewed and probably the best of them all. However my review for that one will come later.

raz0 wrote:
A good compromise would be the SteelSeries 5L, which is a cloth pad (technically it has 5 layers, not all cloth, but the top layer is cloth), but is very hard for a cloth pad, so it has very low friction.

No, it is not a good compromise. Also, it has ANYTHING but low friction, being one of the worst purchases I ever made (like I said in the review too). Avoid at all costs.
Servers: Troopers
2009-08-03, 00:28
347 posts

Feb 2006
Low friction for a cloth pad, no? Guess I should just have said 'compromise' not 'good compromise', since I don't really know that much about the pad.
2009-08-03, 00:41
28 posts

Feb 2008
Thanks for your suggestions!
But actually now I'm thinking I'll get the new SteelSeries Xai mouse with the Roccat Taito mousepad.. seems to be a killer combination..
http://www.myspace.com/cervello
2009-08-03, 01:51
1329 posts

Apr 2006
raz0 wrote:
Low friction for a cloth pad, no?

Actually no. Even QcK+ has less friction out of the mousepads I have, and it's a really cloth and not some hybrid. 5L is just total garbage (for me at least).
Servers: Troopers
2011-11-19, 23:02
48 posts

Mar 2011
Well, is there a general rule about pad surfaces and quakeworld? What are the good and bad things about cloth and hard surfaces regarding aiming, playability, etc...?
Amd Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz : Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz : MSI GeForce N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II 1GB : benQ XL2410T LED 23.6" 1920x1080 120hz 2ms : Microsoft Explorer 3
2011-11-19, 23:05
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
luchten wrote:
Well, is there a general rule about pad surfaces and quakeworld? What are the good and bad things about cloth and hard surfaces regarding aiming, playability, etc...?

The general rule is: Get what you feel comfortable with and practice the game.
  8 posts on 1 page  1