User panel stuff on forum
  14 posts on 1 page  1
Help
2008-11-03, 11:05
100 posts

Apr 2008
i have posted this before but got no real responses.. the responsiveness of my mouse slows down and slows down, and slows down.. i have no fcking idea whats causing this but it cant be my mouse as ive changed mouse, os, settings, clean install new configs.. everything.

in_restart or vid_restart resolves the problem temporarily. the longer i play the worse it gets.. only time it is good is for the first 30 seconds or so when i first boot the machine up. why would that be? could a ezquake developer assist please on some feedback on that? could it be a gcard problem?? i had problems with it earlier and the fan had to be makeshift replaced.. soundcard is onboard.. i have no idea

i have tried fcking everything and its basically preventing me from playing cause of how slow it gets and how fluctuating etc. in_mouse 1 seems to have a lesser effect then 2 and 3 but i still have to in_restart constantly. ive tried multiple ezquake versions, multiple os's, multiple mice and the same problem no matter what. i have a sony crt so have run 100, 120 140 150 hz.. 308 fps. it looks jerky as if frames are dropping unless i run on high hz and high fps?? every possible setting change, clean installs, EVERYTHING. i cant have a consistant game and i have absolutely nowhere to turn on what to do.. why would in_restart slightly fix the problem? please please help i have nothing else to do
2008-11-04, 06:10
252 posts

Dec 2006
/cl_placeabo 0
'on 120 ping i have beaten mortuary dirtbox and reload' (tm) mz adrenalin
'i watched sting once very boring and not good at all' (tm) mz adrenalin
[i]'i shoulda won all
2008-11-04, 06:35
100 posts

Apr 2008
ive literally tested this for hundreds of hours.. im either lieing or its true. the end
u spelt placebo wrong
2008-11-04, 08:24
125 posts

Jan 2008
You spelt "you" wrong.
Try a PS/2 mouse
2008-11-04, 08:57
705 posts

Feb 2006
or a usb/ps2 adaptor
2008-11-04, 12:37
793 posts

Feb 2006
ruskie spelt adapter wrong.
2008-11-04, 14:05
156 posts

Mar 2006
riosatiy wrote:
You spelt "you" wrong.

Hey! That's MY line!
2008-11-05, 09:22
100 posts

Apr 2008
it seems to be the keyboard aswell slowing down and not responding as well as when i first load quake.. assuming this is a motherboard issue then? any other ideas.. its driving my crazy

thinking about getting a new system just to get it working. fcking hell
2008-11-05, 22:32
100 posts

Apr 2008
definatley keyboard responsiveness aswell. it somewhat increases its responsiveness when vid_restart and in_restart but nowhere near the way it is when i first load up quake..
2008-11-08, 07:03
100 posts

Apr 2008
can i please get some feedback on what this problem could be.. its so much smoother and faster when i first go into quake then a few minutes in. now what could that be? seriously i have tested this for 100s of hours. what could the problem be if everytime i quit then reload quake its faster then it was. please can i get some feedback on this as im thinking about going to buy a new pc to try and resolve the problem.
2008-11-08, 09:17
705 posts

Feb 2006
so did you try it? please write down what you have tested and how it worked. btw you should give Linux a try.
2008-11-08, 10:27
344 posts

Nov 2006
We don't even know your specs? Perhaps if its a laptop it reduces machine throttles down its speed because of heat issues or whatever. If it makes a difference how long you wait after a machine boot I think your problem is located elsewhere but the game application itself.
2008-11-08, 11:22
100 posts

Apr 2008
dual core 6600 @ 2.4ghz
nvidia geforce 7950 gt
gigabyte ga-965sp-ds3 motherboard
sony 21 crt

what i have tried:
different mice- g5, mx518, ms habu mice
clean installed ezquake 1.8.3, 1.9, 1.9.1, 1.9.2
have created new configs
have tested and restested pretty much every config setting, ie in_mouse 1 2 3, sys_priority, yieldcpu maxfps, different viddisplayfreq, all other setting variants like r_dynamic etc etc

thats about it. it is smooth and fast when i first load quake, then slows down. in_restart quickens it slightly but never as good as when i first load quake
exiting quake and reloading will be better

btw. my fan on my gcard was make shift replaced recently. but still works, never any frame drop or crashes or anything.. so that shouldnt matter.

maybe i should try linux.. no idea how to install it or anything else to do with linux but im willing to give it a try before i buy a new system..
2008-11-08, 13:55
271 posts

Feb 2006
On my machine (a vista laptop), I too get these input slowdowns/stalls, which are most noticable with the mouse, but it feels like the keyboard suffers too. I don't seem to get them so much with directinput or rawinput (but with fte, keyboard is always the same, so stalls).

Tbh this seems to be a hardware/operating system issue rather than a quake one.

Reasoning:
Start up a dedicated quakeworld server on your machine.
Start up a quakeworld client, connect to said server.
In the client, disable prediction (cl_nopred 1).

With prediction disabled, movement is based only on what the server states, while mouse movement/orientation is instantaneous (or as close as possible).
Periodically, I get bursts of lag, on localhost. That is, the lack of prediction shows that the screen stalls for up to half a second at a time for about 5 seconds.
But the key thing, is that the input slowdowns/stalls happen at the same time (typically during the latter half of these 5 seconds).

Okay, so I'm just running too much stuff in the background perhaps? Running quake like this maxes out cpu at 60% (its a dual-core cpu, so no single-threaded application (eg: quake) can take more than 50%).
It could quite possibly be the operating system's memory cache stuff. In which case disabling high res textures may help, simply because its less data in the computer's ram.
moo
  14 posts on 1 page  1