User panel stuff on forum
  12 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2008-04-07, 19:21
12 posts

Mar 2008
One of the guys I used to play with - "Vandy" told me a story I thought I would share with all of you.

The year was around 1996 - 1997. I know it was before 1998 because Quake 2 came out in December of 1997. After Q2 came out, Vandy switched to q2 and almost stopped playing Q1 entirely. Vandy was looking through the map list when he saw a server with only one person on it. Well, back in the day this was kinda rare. So Vandy joined the game to do a little 1 on 1. Come to find out the other guy was practicing.

The other player was in DM3, outside, where the pentagram of protection is at. He went up the elevator to where the entrance of the building was at - and from that point he would rocket jump back to the window above the water.

Instead of fighting, Vandy just watched this guy. The story as told to me, the other player was doing this rocket jump over and over again. He would miss a few times, a few times he would get it right. The perfect rocket jump would put the guy from the top of the elevator through the window.

After hearing that story, I went and tried it, but I never could even come close to hitting the window. Maybe the guy was using a grenade along with a rocket to get him across?
2008-04-07, 19:39
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
That's a very basic jump by today's standards. There is a demo that shows it on tricks.quakeworld.nu. There are also a bunch of other, perhaps more spectacular, DM3 trick demos available.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2008-04-07, 19:52
284 posts

Oct 2006
Heh, first I read it like he was doing a rocket jump through window to top of elevators, now that's a really tricky jump Don't think I've ever made it (not that I remember trying it anytime in recent history

ps. all you tricking ninjas, I specifically mean rjing through the window, not rj + jump from window :p
2008-04-07, 20:11
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
niomic wrote:
ps. all you tricking ninjas, I specifically mean rjing through the window, not rj + jump from window :p

Not like this then?

Edit
...but like this? (pos_save ftw ;()
2008-04-07, 20:48
12 posts

Mar 2008
I am at work right now. so when I get home this evening I will get the files downloaded and look at them.
2008-04-08, 08:53
226 posts

Mar 2007
Even I can do 2x rocket jump from the ground to the window :-)
2008-04-08, 10:41
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
Hehe, thought this was a joke and awaited the punchline, but no
good luck kev!
Join us on discord.quake.world
2008-04-08, 13:40
284 posts

Oct 2006
Ake Vader wrote:
niomic wrote:

Not like this then?

Edit
...but like this? (pos_save ftw ;()

Technically the latter one was what I meant. Don't have a good qwsetup right now so I didn't even try it and actually thought it would be more speedy or maybe it was just software + shitresolution that made it seem a bit weaker than I imagined.
2008-04-08, 13:42
51 posts

Nov 2006
bps wrote:
Hehe, thought this was a joke and awaited the punchline, but no
good luck kev!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I had lost exactly two weeks.
2008-04-09, 03:34
12 posts

Mar 2008
Ake Vader wrote:
That's a very basic jump by today's standards. There is a demo that shows it on tricks.quakeworld.nu.

Nice demo - but the physics do not seem right. The person seems to stay in the air too long. The distance, and force of the rocket jump VS gravity does not seem right.

But that is a pretty nice jump. I always tried it straight from the lift to the window. You start to go towards the wall then curve towards the window. Does the curve add distance to the jump?
2008-04-09, 08:48
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
~kev~ wrote:
Ake Vader wrote:
That's a very basic jump by today's standards. There is a demo that shows it on tricks.quakeworld.nu.

Nice demo - but the physics do not seem right. The person seems to stay in the air too long. The distance, and force of the rocket jump VS gravity does not seem right.

But that is a pretty nice jump. I always tried it straight from the lift to the window. You start to go towards the wall then curve towards the window. Does the curve add distance to the jump?

Maybe i can do another, even more basic, version of it when i get home and we'll see. If he tried to do that jump in Netquake or perhaps even a very early version of Quakeworld, then the physics might not be the same. I'm not 100% sure though. In Quakeworld you can even rocketjump from the megahealth up to window by the pent area.
2008-04-09, 14:29
12 posts

Mar 2008
Ake Vader wrote:
Maybe i can do another, even more basic, version of it when i get home and we'll see. If he tried to do that jump in Netquake or perhaps even a very early version of Quakeworld, then the physics might not be the same. I'm not 100% sure though. In Quakeworld you can even rocketjump from the megahealth up to window by the pent area.

I have done that before, but from next to the water. RJ once, then hit the wall with another rocket to get through the window. Or if you have quad, see the pentagram of protection, jump down, get the PP, the RJ with quad back up to the window.

From the super health to the window - that is a long jump.

Maybe I just remember gravity being heavier back in the day?
  12 posts on 1 page  1