22 posts on 1 page  1
Off Topic
2008-02-21, 06:43
50 posts

Mar 2006
http://www.quakelive.com/

Quote:
IGA Worldwide Partners with id Software on Forthcoming QUAKE LIVE title

IGA Selected Exclusive Provider of Advertiser Sponsorships; In-Game Brand Integration Opportunities within Revolutionary QUAKE LIVE Portal

San Francisco, CA- February 19, 2008 -IGA Worldwide Inc., the leading independent in-game advertising network announced today from the 2008 Game Developer Conference that it has partnered with id Software to manage all advertising, sponsorship and creative branding opportunities within the forthcoming QUAKE LIVE web site and free-to-play version of the popular QUAKE Arena multiplayer action games.

Created by id Software as an all-new way to deliver the excitement and energy of first-person multiplayer action to a broader audience than ever before, QUAKE LIVE offers game players of all skill levels a totally free and easily accessible multiplayer game and community through a single website at quakelive.com. Every element of the experience, including friends lists and communication, sponsored events and tournaments, matchmaking, stats tracking, and even the game itself is accessed and delivered free of charge through the web browser. Integrated with IGA's proprietary SDK, QUAKE LIVE will offer companies and agencies fresh opportunities to dynamically-target brands to audiences within a broadly accessible version of one of the world's premiere game franchises, while also offering gamers a totally free premium game, fun events and a vibrant, active community of other players.

"IGA understands game developers and game players which makes them the perfect partner for QUAKE LIVE. Whether it's been the ease of implementing their SDK or just their excitement about QUAKE LIVE, they have been fantastic to work with," said Todd Hollenshead, CEO of id Software. "As we work to bring QUAKE-style deathmatch excitement to the masses, IGA has fully supported our vision."

"id Software is among the proverbial godfathers of modern gaming and we are thrilled to be working with them on their first title in our 'freemium' category," said Justin Townsend, CEO of IGA Worldwide. "This partnership is only the latest testament to the increasing acceptance of in-game as an effective, measurable advertising medium and a strategic revenue opportunity for publishers and developers."

IGA predicts more progressive game publishers like id will create what the company has coined "freemium," or free-to-play premium games based on their most popular titles in order to attract new audiences and open new revenue advertising revenue streams. A recent eMarketer forecast estimated the current video game advertising market to exceed $502MM and is expected to grow 23 percent year-over-year over the next five years.

About IGA Worldwide
IGA Worldwide, Inc. is the market-leading in-game advertising network offering brands and agencies a single point of access to an exclusive range of opportunities within the world's premium videogame franchises. IGA's proprietary Radial NetworkSM enables advertisers to dynamically-target over 15 million uniquely engaged consumers and has successfully delivered campaigns for brands such as Intel, Coca-Cola, McDonalds, Nokia, Gillette and Unilever. IGA also provides brands with customized branding solutions including integrated product placement and co promotion. IGA Worldwide is headquartered in New York with offices in London, Los Angeles, Connecticut and Berlin.
For more information please visit www.igaworldwide.com.

About id Software
id – defined by Freud as the primal section of the human psyche; id Software, located in Mesquite, Texas, was founded in 1991. From inception to present day, id Software has relentlessly provided technical, design and artistic leadership as an independent game developer and technology provider. Transcending the games industry, id’s iconic brands such as Wolfenstein, DOOM, QUAKE and Enemy Territory have become staples of popular culture for generations of gamers. More information on id Software can be found at www.idsoftware.com.
"...it's really easy! when you get a boner, you slap her titties a couple of times, then you stick it inside her and pee..."
2008-02-21, 08:52
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Moved to offtopic as it's not Quakeworld related.

I signed up my e-mail address to their beta thingie. I did it mostly out of curiosity though; it will be interesting to see how their online portal/services will work. Hopefully we can use some of their ideas. Adopt, adapt aaand apply. xD
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2008-02-21, 14:25
626 posts

Jan 2006
can't wait for this one!
2008-02-21, 14:56
793 posts

Feb 2006
Ake Vader wrote:
Adopt, adapt aaand apply. xD

advertise on dm2!!one! message me for my rates on the muh_bad image. maximum exposure guaranteed!!
2008-02-21, 15:20
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
phrenic wrote:
can't wait for this one!

It's basically a copy of Quake 3, so it will be nothing revolutionary when it comes to the game itself i think, other than that it's free and that it will have more support from developers when it comes to community features i'd assume.
2008-02-21, 15:21
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
dEus wrote:
Ake Vader wrote:
Adopt, adapt aaand apply. xD

advertise on dm2!!one! message me for my rates on the muh_bad image. maximum exposure guaranteed!!

Hmm why not - when the game is streamed or watched at LAN.
2008-02-21, 15:27
793 posts

Feb 2006
it's a bit ambiguous i think. it's cool to have a free game but imagine quake with in game advertising.. what kind of company would want their product associated with blasphemy and horror? what impact would it have on art direction if you're worrying about your in-game sponsor?
2008-02-21, 15:43
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Whether ads suits a Quake game or not depends on how you play the game. If you're after the single player experience like in Quake 1/2/4 (Quake 3 only had bots) which takes you through a plot in a medieval time (or something) etc, then ads are of course totally out of place.

If you play Quake the way most of us do though - in deathmatch as a competitive activity - then why not have the sponsors show up on the walls instead of the original textures if people are willing to pay money for it?
2008-02-21, 16:46
2 posts

Feb 2008
To my understanding the advertising wont be in the game, but on the website where you login and launch the game.
2008-02-21, 20:23
8 posts

Sep 2007
sort of like mplayer i guess?
2008-02-24, 20:51
37 posts

Jul 2007
This will be interesting to see how this goes. I have been a Quake fan since I got online.
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i315/planetetf/RBnew.png

[url=http://profile.xfire.com/johnnymullet][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/2/johnn
2008-03-29, 18:40
793 posts

Feb 2006
some more pics in this thread @quake.de -> http://quake.de/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10494&sid=dfa0d6df0f4910c5e477a1811349c11c
i dunno i still think it's pretty weird. what do you all think of this, can you still concentrate on RA and timing Quad with this stuff??

Edit: Image removed, publishing media from Quake Live Beta is breaking the license
- JohnNy_cz
2008-03-31, 08:32
1026 posts

Feb 2006
dEus wrote:
what do you all think of this, can you still concentrate on RA and timing Quad with this stuff??

how are some ads textures different from the weirdest textures people use in QW?
it's not like when i pass by one of those ads i have to stare at it and read it one word at a time.

i wonder if the ads will be protected to video tweaks like r_picmip etc.
god damn hippies >_<
2008-03-31, 11:05
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
I think it looks a bit weird with adverts on a map with medieval theme but i don't think i would mind it when i'm in action. However, it might be confusing if the adverts rotates in any way. By rotates i mean that an advertising spot isn't showing the very same advert all the time, even between games. One time the advert is green, which is ok for me, but the next time i launch the game it's suddenly a red coca cola advert instead - which doesn't go too well with my bright red enemy skins. I think that could cause some confusion.
2008-03-31, 11:56
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Typically a game is played by less than 10 players and observed by more than 100 spectators. There's no big need to force players to display the ads in their game so I'd not be surprised if there was possibility to turn them off in big tourneys (for players only ofc).
2008-03-31, 20:04
626 posts

Jan 2006
isn't it fake? i've heard they will cap the maxfps to 60?
2008-03-31, 21:14
793 posts

Feb 2006
there are some pretty detailed descriptions of slight changes in the q3 maps that are being modified for quake live. seems like a really good effort if they are fake.
JohnNy_cz wrote:
Typically a game is played by less than 10 players and observed by more than 100 spectators. There's no big need to force players to display the ads in their game so I'd not be surprised if there was possibility to turn them off in big tourneys (for players only ofc).

i'm not sure the target audience really is the spectators. i mean there must be much more people just playing the game than speccing big games?
if this is supposed to be a strictly competitive game that is actually designed for pro-gaming, yeah ok, but i doubt that. the market seems to be too small to actually make money with that.
2008-07-13, 20:40
303 posts

Jun 2007
id soft provided some more informations about Quake Live:

Article:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/888/888620p1.html

New Screens (but none of them from first person point of view, sucks, i want to see new HUD!):

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/954/954727/imgs_1.html

For people who don't like to read much :

- Quake live is going public beta soon
- They balanced weapons
- It's basically Q3 content + TA content (!!!) + ads. Because of TA content, game will use TA version (more up to date) of Q3 engine probably.
- All maps were tweaked to provide better gameplay and looks - now they are more detailed, have better textures, and judging from actual screen textures may be in higher resolution than old ones.
- You can't diasble ads
- Ads will take forms of not only billboards, but also new skins and models. That means, company that like to advertise can make totally new player or weapon model with their logo, and players are free to use it, but don't have to if they don't like it. But i think PEPSI RL shooting cans instead of rockets would be cool xD
- There will be matchmaking system that prevents noobs get raped by pros.
- There will be bots, and their AI/skill would change dynamically with player progress.
- Game would be more accessible for newcomers, and have real tutorials (forget Q3 one) to show how to play.
- Game will be updated/tweaked often, devs would listen to players and try give them what they want.

I've never been vQ3 fan, i preffered CPMA because of it's movement, but i will keep my eye on this, and download public beta for sure. I have high hopes for it, because now classic DM games are almost dead UT3, only new game that provide classic DM/TDM/Duel gameplay failed to gain enough playerbase, and popular online FPS = CS and CoD right now :/ I hope release of QL will change something...
2008-07-14, 07:48
1026 posts

Feb 2006
phrenic wrote:
isn't it fake? i've heard they will cap the maxfps to 60?

no.
god damn hippies >_<
2008-07-24, 11:01
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Here's a short trailer. It really is Quake 3 though, basically. Will be interesting to see what they can come up with in terms of side functions like statistics, match making and what not on their website. Hopefully something will be worth and possible to adopt. :}

I can't believe they won't include any kind of QTV in the start though, considering they will host a Quake Live competition at Quakecon.
2008-07-24, 13:24
85 posts

May 2007
In this case I think ads will fit pretty nicely into the game. I mean, I get the feeling of a futuristic Deathmatch game that people are watching, just like nowdays people are watching ice hockey and football. I mean Deathmatch game as a sport. You can see huge ads at Superbowl, you know. Sport = big money. Therefore i see advertising not a problem considering how it fits the theme.

On the other hand, bright and flashy ads sure distract players, especially in this kind of fast gameplay. If the ads are placed well and with even a little bit effort to make them fit the map/theme, i don't see too big problem here. We'll see, We'll see.

ps. waiting for beta testing.
Str8 Outta Ritoniemi!
2008-07-24, 17:05
173 posts

Jun 2008
junkass wrote:
bright and flashy ads sure distract players

Sooner or later the marketing people will remember this and do it on purpose :-(
  22 posts on 1 page  1