User panel stuff on forum
  13 posts on 1 page  1
Rookies' Corner
2007-11-08, 08:42
5 posts

Nov 2007
Thanks to everyone that takes the time to read this first off, that said please read what my problem is before you post.

I have tried to get help for this issue at a number of places and people keep answering questions I didn't ask, and trying to fix problems I am not having.

So basically after talking about the Good Old Days of FPS gaming I did a bit of research and found nQuake. Perfect package for me and my friends, I love the maps, and on the fly switch between Clan Arena, Arena, and FFA.

When we play we will pick random maps, and different rules depending on our mood, nQuake is nearly perfect IMO.

When I am using a Listen server everything is fine. I wanted to host a dedicated server so that my friends could just connect when I am at work/playing other games and have fun without me if they want. I thought it would be stupid if I just ran a listen server for nQuake 24/7.

Unfortunately, nQuake doesn't come with any server information at all. If I were the author this is the first thing I would fix.

I tried creating a shortcut and just specifying "-dedicated 16" +bot_carena +map aerowalk

This results with the game loading in regular death mode, and it says Unknown command "bot_carena" and Unknown command "togglemenu"

I cannot go to the server window and addbot, it says unknown command, clients however can addbot if they like.

If a client says "bot_carena" they drop from the game and start on their own computer, it doesnt change the servers status however.

ALL I WANT Is to be able to run a dedicated server and have it behave exactly like a listen server for nQuake, no more, no less.

Thanks a lot if you have suggestions
2007-11-08, 09:11
569 posts

Feb 2006
hi.

As you have noticed correctly, nQuake is only the client.

Unlike quake2/3 where u would start a dedicated server using the same executable and param -dedicated, in quakeworld you instead use a server application + server mod.
The server + server mod to use is MVDSV + KTX.

I think there exists a small package somewhere, that includes MVDSV+KTX+ server config files.
2007-11-08, 09:17
950 posts

Apr 2006
Go see the thread about KTX 1.34 release in the server forum
http://www.quakeworld.nu/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2457
2007-11-08, 09:19
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
the reason bot_arena doesn't work is because it's an alias that creates a local bot game.

you probably need to have several mvdsv ports running the different mods to get the effect you are looking for.
2007-11-08, 09:26
1100 posts

Jan 2006
Willgurht wrote:
As you have noticed correctly, nQuake is only the client.

It's a package, ezQuake is the client.
2007-11-08, 09:33
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
it's a client package
2007-11-08, 09:36
569 posts

Feb 2006
empezar wrote:
it's a client package

thanks
2007-11-09, 10:42
5 posts

Nov 2007
empezar wrote:
it's a client package

thanks for the reply, as the nQuake dev dont you think you should make a nice little dedicated server in a .exe file so people like me that havent played quake in like 7 years dont have to spend a bunch of time learning what mods make up nQuake and such?

Thanks
2007-11-09, 11:24
5 posts

Nov 2007
Well it looks like I kinda got it working.

Only thing is, once I launch the sevrer, a client has to join and type ARENA, and then RESTART to go to arena mode. This seems pretty odd to me, I dont understand why I as the owner of the server cannot specifiy these commands myself???

I love the Quake gameplay but administration has surely gotten easier with subsequent titles.
2007-11-09, 13:30
950 posts

Apr 2006
Matter of config
2007-11-09, 15:14
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
Svperstar wrote:
empezar wrote:
it's a client package

thanks for the reply, as the nQuake dev dont you think you should make a nice little dedicated server in a .exe file so people like me that havent played quake in like 7 years dont have to spend a bunch of time learning what mods make up nQuake and such?

Thanks

stay tuned

next summer project will be a server package
2015-02-04, 22:04
46 posts

Jan 2013
empezar wrote:
Svperstar wrote:
empezar wrote:
it's a client package

Thanks

stay tuned

next summer project will be a server package
2015-02-05, 10:40
344 posts

Nov 2006
If you necro-ed this thread to empathize this then I suggest you take a look at the nQuake homepage. It does include a server package for Windows and Linux for quite some time now.
  13 posts on 1 page  1