User panel stuff on forum
  19 posts on 1 page  1
Help
2007-10-23, 23:32
27 posts

Dec 2006
He has a core2uo with 8800GTS 640mb graphics card, running on XP with a decent LCD screen..

UT3 looks perfect..
WoW looks perfect..

But when we load up quake (ezquake) it looks dreadful, like the colours are all faded..
The game jutters
The mouse accel suddenly comes on

Yet these are the exact same settings I use on my PC... (which runs fine)

The main things are..
The colours are really screwed up (could be the graphics card not liking a 10 yr old game)
That stupid mouse accel comes on (how to get rid of that?)
Feels like its on 40 fps with 60hz refresh even though its 77 fps with 85 hz rate..

Anyone have any ideas?
Anyone with the same video card?
2007-10-24, 06:32
1011 posts

Feb 2006
blaf wrote:
But when we load up quake (ezquake) it looks dreadful, like the colours are all faded..

played with gl_gamma (default 1.0) and gl_contrast (default 1.3)?
2007-10-24, 07:49
226 posts

Mar 2007
77fps with 85hz might cause jittering. I'd try other fps/hzs.
I'm using 75hz (TFT) with 150fps.
j0n is using 75hz with 750 fps :-)
2007-10-24, 08:50
229 posts

Aug 2007
I use maxfps 232 and 100hz currently.
TEAM QUAD [need nothing]
shaga loses another friend
shaga discovers blast radius

QUAD
2007-10-24, 10:00
231 posts

Jan 2006
PEKTOPAHKY wrote:
77fps with 85hz might cause jittering. I'd try other fps/hzs.
I'm using 75hz (TFT) with 150fps.
j0n is using 75hz with 750 fps :-)

Actually im playing with 100hz with cl_maxfps 0. This gives me fps around 1500-500 at 1280x960 res, almost no "tearing" and really smooth.

Be sure that your friend dosnt use vid sync in graphics options in windows and vid_vsync 0 in qw. The relation between hz and fps is often the main problem of qw "lag". 77 fps @ 75 hz is better than 77 fps @ 85 for example or even 100hz. But 100hz (or even 154 hz) is much better with cl_independentphysics 1 and cl_maxfps 0 (of you have a good computer) than 75 hz.

Try for your self, every computer is different.

Download my latest cfg and try it out at "configs" here on quakeworld.nu main page
2007-10-26, 07:24
159 posts

Jun 2007
Colours being faded like that occur on lcds when you have the refresh rate set to something not supported by the moniter. 85Hz does look a but suss for a LCD. Id suggest 75 and if not then 60.
FortressOne - A QuakeWorld Team Fortress package for Windows and Linux | https://www.fortressone.org
2007-10-26, 07:56
303 posts

Jun 2007
I think the problem is different.

Guys, download fQuake or nQuake, and run game with default config.

It looks like s***.

Sadly, Quake won't look good without heavy config tweaking and playing with 24bit textures and models.

Default settings in both packages are awfully bad, and editing config, messing with commands, adjusting hud, adding hundreds of textures and resize them if they cause slowdowns, is too much for a newbie.

Quake is one of the most non-friendly games out there in terms of configuration. Fortunately, it is the most customizeable too.
2007-10-26, 11:07
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
Herb wrote:

It looks like s***.

Sadly, Quake won't look good without heavy config tweaking and playing with 24bit textures and models.

Default settings in both packages are awfully bad, and editing config, messing with commands, adjusting hud, adding hundreds of textures and resize them if they cause slowdowns, is too much for a newbie.

Quake is one of the most non-friendly games out there in terms of configuration. Fortunately, it is the most customizeable too.

instead of posting your thoughts on nquake config in this thread, why not post them in nquake thread?

suggest improvements.

you know... constructive criticism.
2007-10-26, 11:17
126 posts

Oct 2006
Herb wrote:

It looks like s***.

Nice, writing. NOT.... Tell them what to improve instead of shit talking plz...!
2007-10-26, 11:28
28 posts

May 2007
Delete the opengl32.dll in the quake dir (if its there) that helped my quake when it was all screwed up..
2007-10-26, 11:29
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
this is what nquake looks like with default config. what's wrong with it Herb?

http://emp.f.nu/ezquake000.png
2007-10-26, 11:33
569 posts

Feb 2006
I believe that herb just got the dots and commas wrong (because i cant believe anyone would dislike nQuake for those reasons)

What he means is that quake out of the box is very hard to setup and configure, therefore download nQuake or fQuake instead.

But that is just a guess.
2007-10-26, 13:35
303 posts

Jun 2007
What i'm saying is Quake, as a game, is a bit unfriendly to configure. In most cases it didn't run smoothly from the first run - there is weird mouse behavior, screen tearing, refresh rate problems, fps drops, etc. It didn't matter if it is fQuake, nQuake or any other package/client. User have to put some work in if he wants Quake to run smooth. The biggest problem is the game engine itself - on older pc's it runs much worse than Q3, and remember Q1 is pretty low poly. But it is nobody's fault, its really old game, first try to create full 3D fps, and was never relly polished by id. Good thing that gameplay is one of the best.

Empezar, i must apologise, i didn't check the new version of nQuake. It looks ten times better than version i've downloaded some time ago. The only things i don't like are g_models - i know they are the only good alternative to original ones, but i see hi-poly model on the floor, and low poly model when i pickup it. They didn't match, i'd rater use all Plague's or all Orion's with Primevil skins. Console font didn't match game look at all - too warsowish. But these are minor flaws (btw. why there isn't ezstart.exe anymore?)

Sadly, i still have nasty fps drops - 250 to 30 on dm4, and have screen tearing. On q3dm6qw game runs in 25-30 fps and rockets are flying like with ping 300. QW seems to don't like ATI at all. Good thing i get nvidia card next month.
2007-10-26, 14:35
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
i agree with the g_models. i'm waiting for primevil to make textures for orion's models. though i must say it would be a good idea to use plague's v_models since both g_models and hud weapons are plague's. i will think more about this.

console font is easy to read, but i'd be glad to see some alternatives that are more faithful to quake.

i am always looking to improve nquake, so posting suggestions in nquake thread will in most cases give results.
2007-10-30, 17:11
685 posts

Jul 2007
Is there any truth in problems with ATI cards /w nQuake?

To me, as a nvidia user, nQuake is one of the best things ever in the Quake community. I agree that otherwise it's unfriendly to newcomers.

I do think that today's gamers are going a bit overboard with fps and refreshrates...
2007-10-30, 21:22
126 posts

Oct 2006
Herb wrote:
What i'm saying is Quake, as a game, is a bit unfriendly to configure. In most cases it didn't run smoothly from the first run - there is weird mouse behavior, screen tearing, refresh rate problems, fps drops, etc. It didn't matter if it is fQuake, nQuake or any other package/client. User have to put some work in if he wants Quake to run smooth. The biggest problem is the game engine itself - on older pc's it runs much worse than Q3, and remember Q1 is pretty low poly. But it is nobody's fault, its really old game, first try to create full 3D fps, and was never relly polished by id. Good thing that gameplay is one of the best.

Empezar, i must apologise, i didn't check the new version of nQuake. It looks ten times better than version i've downloaded some time ago. The only things i don't like are g_models - i know they are the only good alternative to original ones, but i see hi-poly model on the floor, and low poly model when i pickup it. They didn't match, i'd rater use all Plague's or all Orion's with Primevil skins. Console font didn't match game look at all - too warsowish. But these are minor flaws (btw. why there isn't ezstart.exe anymore?)

Sadly, i still have nasty fps drops - 250 to 30 on dm4, and have screen tearing. On q3dm6qw game runs in 25-30 fps and rockets are flying like with ping 300. QW seems to don't like ATI at all. Good thing i get nvidia card next month.

Say any game that doesnt fps drop, or have other config problems?? I have been playing alot of fps games, and imo QW is not more worse than any other game, it is better than the most others...
2007-10-31, 11:43
685 posts

Jul 2007
Damn right it is. Freaking rock-solid in comparison.
2007-10-31, 18:35
2 posts

Oct 2007
"UT3 looks perfect..
WoW looks perfect.."

They don't look perfect.
2007-10-31, 22:57
303 posts

Jun 2007
GODIS! , if i can play warsow with nice looking graphics with 72 fps all the time, if i can play q3 with max detail with 90 fps all the time, but i can't play QW with low poly models, 1x1 pixel textures, max picmip, lowest sound quality, without ANY eyecandy with constant 77 fps, because i have fps drops to 15 fps sometimes, mouse lag, and game didn't run smooth at all, then something is wrong here. I was able to play QW with gfx card two times worse than my current, because it was NVIDIA, not ATI. I have pretty old computer, but i bet that electro bolt model from warsow have more polys or nearly the same number as entire dm6 level in QW.

This is software fault, but not ezQ, fuhq, mqwcl, darkplaces or any other client - it's the outdated game code itself. Quake was the first id game with full 3D engine, and it's bugged as hell - simply, they weren't masters of coding, modelling etc when they were doing it. Look at the original weapon models - bugged, assymetric, badly textured. And after so many years from release date, we have correct version of these, debugged by one man who were doing it in his spare time... But i doubt there will be any person who will debug and improve the entire game code.
  19 posts on 1 page  1