User panel stuff on forum
  45 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page
Movies
2007-04-04, 14:34
156 posts

Mar 2006
When Sassa found out I was working on another QW movie he asked me if I could start a thread on here to tell people about what I am doing and what the status of the project was.

Well some of you might have seen "Misusing Explosives 1" which was released in 2004. It was a trickjumping-only movie and my first ever approach to QW movies. The movie was quite well perceived despite the utterly shitty graphics, mediocre sound quality and overall darkness (by that i mean the gamma settings really). Shortly after I released Misusing Explosives I started a remake of Misusing Explosives (with textures that were new back then, good sound, better gamma settings and some other minor upgrades). That remake was never released and I plan to release it along with Misusing Explosives 2, which I shall hopefully finish by about May-June. The remake of Misusing Explosives 1 will not be released earlier for one simply reason: As I already said I started the remake in 2004, so basically by now it's completely outdated in terms of graphics AGAIN. And If i released it now, people would probably think "err.. so what? old movie, graphics not up to date. wtf is this?". So I'm hoping the remake will not drown in criticism if it's released together with a newer movie. Having said that, let's move to the status of Misusing Explosives 2:

Status 4th of April 2007:

- Misusing Explosives will be a trickjumping-only movie.
- Newest available textures will be used along with camquake and all sorts of eye-candy.
- I/We have recorded about ~30 tricks so far, of which almost all are suitable for usage. there's 3-4 I'm not sure about.
- Some of the tricks we recorded took several hours to record. one of them in particular took about 6 hours.
- 2-3 new bugs found/exploited
- Movie production itself has not yet started. Still gathering software/tools. ~10 more tricks to be recorded.

Stay tuned!
2007-04-04, 14:44
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
Download Misusing explosives 1 from here

How long will the movie be?

can ppl send in demos to u if they find something extraordinary?

btw.. get a logo
2007-04-04, 14:45
1026 posts

Feb 2006
awesome news!!
there was a shortage of trick movies in the past 6 months (since vb & joulukuu sort of disappeared ).

do you have team tricks as well?
god damn hippies >_<
2007-04-04, 14:57
1754 posts

Jan 2006
Cool!! this is awesome, misusing explosives 1 rocked
yea, bout that.. have you looked at the demos posted @ besmella by me, aquashark and those he mentioned? :>
I have some team-tricks by me and edvin
2007-04-05, 10:13
156 posts

Mar 2006
Sassa:
I'm aiming towards a length of about 7-8 minutes, pretty much like the first Misusing Explosives. Shorter than that would probably be 'too short' and longer than that might get boring since it's a trickjumping-only movie.
And no, people should not send me demos. First of all I don't wanna disappoint people that send in demos that I might reject. Secondly, I like 'working' with the people that I've been hopping/fooling around with on servers for years now. I have a crew of really nice fellow trickjumpers and I believe what we got is enough to make the movie.

Aquashark:
Out of the top of my head I'd say that about 3/4 of all tricks are going to be tricks that involve more than one player. A handful actually involve as many as 4. The majority involves 2.

Peppe:
No, I didn't check out any of the posted demos. And while I greatly appreciate your 'offer', I'd rather stick to what I said to Sassa above. I'm also not too keen on using demos that have already been posted somewhere. Sorry . I do however encourage you to use whatever you got in a different movie!

NeFuRii:
Thanks for the positive feedback first of all. The nail tricks in Misusing Explosives 1 are no 'bug' really. We played around with the server settings and modified the projectile speed.
DM3 nailbridge Lifts --> Pent-MH: Projectile speed set to 0, the nails thus forming the 'bridge'.
DM3 nailbridge Lifts --> Window: Projectile speed set to 0 to form a straight line of nails. projectile speed then set to 100 (all nails go up simultaneously). Projectile speed set to 0 again so the straight line of nails stops in between lifts and window.
DM3 nailbridge Pent-MH --> Window: Quad-NG nails & projectile speed set to something like 5%.
DM3 nailshot Water --> RL-Room/High-Bridge: Projectile speed set to 0, multiple nails shot, projectile speed set to 100, multiple nails thus hitting the player model at the same time and shooting it to RL-Room/High-Bridge.
E3M6 nailbridge --> Same as the nailbridge from Lifts --> Window on DM3. Projectile speeds 0, 100, 0.

By the way: Misusing Explosives 2 will come with a small subtitle file that people can enable if they use something like VLC or BS Player to play their AVI file. The subtitle file will be something like a directors commentary with some comments on the tricks and/or explanations.
2007-04-05, 13:40
1026 posts

Feb 2006
oh nice! including subtitles is a great, great idea!!
can hardly wait.. please keep us updated with progress
god damn hippies >_<
2007-04-05, 13:52
198 posts

Oct 2006
very nice ur doing the second part. the first ME was one of my favourite movies, mainly because of ideal music fit. looking forward to see the next part :>
2007-04-07, 12:40
1754 posts

Jan 2006
Ah soma no worries :>
Appreciate your moviemaking anyway
2007-04-08, 01:41
447 posts

Jan 2006
How can there be a shortage of trick movies? I pray that it should happen, but alas, the gods have not heeded my call... Of course, there is a vast difference between the stupid long-rj-movies that some people insist on making (Q3 movie clones that is), and PROPER trick movies where bugs and special features on various maps are exploited. I know Soma is one of the people who know a lot of such locations on a lot of maps. Therefore I will not condemn this project from the start, but rather give a piece of friendly advice;

Stay away from the fucking longjumps.
Teamplay is nothing. Aim is everything. OBEY YOUR AIM

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/9017/end2ub.jpg
2007-04-08, 07:33
1026 posts

Feb 2006
the freestyle maps are not restricting and if tricks like in Q3 movies are possible.. i don't see any problem with that. if it can be done, we should do it

i have to agree that Q3 style movies have been overdone and i suspect that's why there weren't any in the past 6 months (at least not from my part).
however i wouldn't be so drastic as to advise people not to make long jump with multiple rockets etc.

i would simply suggest they use more varied material as long as it's entertaining
god damn hippies >_<
2007-04-17, 04:36
11 posts

Apr 2007
awesome, misusing explosives is one of my favourite movies. Especially enjoyed the soundtrack! Same type of music for this one to?
2007-04-17, 18:13
805 posts

Mar 2006
the major problem with freestyle trick movies for qw, is that they look all the same (same graphics, same songs and same tricks)!
https://tinyurl.com/qwbrasil - QuakeFiles
2007-04-20, 17:26
156 posts

Mar 2006
Thanks for your positive feedback, hammy. The music will be very different from other QW movies, but it won't be that similar to Misusing Explosives 1. Don't worry though, it will be artsy-fartsy enough.
2007-04-20, 20:07
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
any updates on how far u are soma?
2007-04-20, 21:56
1100 posts

Jan 2006
Oh yes, ME1 was a wonderful movie. Nice to watch, entertaining, fantastic soundtrack with even some syncing and sooo "imaginative" about you having fun whilst playing/recording. The textures are poo though, why not just simply keep the great looking original ones?

Can't wait for the second part!
2007-05-24, 14:28
100 posts

Feb 2006
status?
2007-05-24, 21:18
156 posts

Mar 2006
Status: I think we pretty much got all material. There's still 2 1/2 tricks to be recorded.
It's time to start the production I guess. Now I need the following of you guys:
Suggestions for resolution, framerate, texture packs, and other desired eyecandy. I'm a complete noob with settings and eyecandy, so I really need your support here. Shoot!
2007-05-24, 22:04
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
do it like DDE3 and edit it so you think its good!

give it a more personal look

dunno if that helps
2007-05-24, 22:15
715 posts

May 2006
I don't think textures etc are as important as great camera motions
---Where can you see lions? Only in kenya! Come to kenya we've got lions.
2007-05-24, 22:21
23 posts

Mar 2006
make sure you take off the bobbing v_model and the damage flinch thing, they were really annoying in the 1st one
cl_bob 0 for the model i think
v_damagecshift 0 might be the damage one i dunno
[@p_jnco]: if you were a nerd bar, youd be king sized
2007-05-25, 06:00
1100 posts

Jan 2006
soma wrote:
Suggestions for resolution, framerate, texture packs, and other desired eyecandy. I'm a complete noob with settings and eyecandy, so I really need your support here. Shoot!

Resolution something 500xsomething-ish, framerate something <30fps, texture pack = no, the eye-candy you actually play with.
Seriously, "eye-candy" stuff can kill the video for some people while probably no-one will dislike the good (ez)Quake looks (not that hideous movie.cfg with the weird explosions).
2007-05-25, 06:19
1026 posts

Feb 2006
Spirit: someone should welcome you to 2007, time traveller dude

resolution: between 640*480 & 848x480
framerate: solid 30fps
texture-pack: QRP (at least if you're not a texture maniac)
eye-candy:
- PrimeviL's weapon skins/player skins
- QRP bmodels textures
- hud is not important, but you can leave hud_speed_show "1"

please no weird models/textures that don't seem to belong in QW
i recommend to stick with those mentioned above, because they're pretty faithful and clean looking
god damn hippies >_<
2007-05-25, 07:59
1754 posts

Jan 2006
agreed with aquashark, dun have to change the look of ME much, just clean it up a bit with qrp and primevils stuff
2007-05-25, 08:48
25 posts

May 2007
Thumbs up on what Aquashark suggests.
I suggest the trail setting for Grenades and Alternative Trail for Rocket.

Nice use of music in the first one.
I just watched it and noticed a lack of consistency with the water settings and the Crosshair. (You have that shot of the shadow of the Q sign, but it had a crosshair which really ruined it!). Then throughout the cross appears and dissapears. Personally for a TJ i'd leave it off.
(Really liked the Nail Guns btw).

As for the text at beginning I really hated that writing effect I'd rather it had faded in, but that's just me =).
Looking forward to the next movie! GL!
2007-05-25, 14:59
156 posts

Mar 2006
Thanks for the valuable feedback!
Spirit: hehe.. that doesn't sound like the best idea. I play without textures and don't even have a proper hud myself because I'm too lame to set it up.
Aquashark: I don't think there will be a hud at all. It's a trick-jumping movie not featuring a single frag. I thus don't really see any importance for the viewer to see what health/armor/ammo/powerup the player has. All the other stuff you recommended: sounds good!
aar0j: You're right about everything you said! There were a TON of issues with Misusing Explosives 1. It was way too dark overall, the textures were horrible, the water skin was first set to solid, then to semi-transparent, the crossair appears/disappears, the sound was fairly low-quality since Adobe Premiere didn't support mp3 as sound-track and I didn't find a workaround back then so I used Microsoft APCDM (or whatever that crap is called), and so on and so on. All of that has been fixed in the remake of ME1 (which will be released together with ME2). Although I don't want to get anyones hopes up. Unlike ME2, the ME1 remake was already started in 2004, has been done for a while now, but never been released. So by the time it's going to be released in 2007, it's gonna be completely outdated again, but hey, at least the issues above are going to be fixed .
2007-05-25, 17:28
1026 posts

Feb 2006
soma wrote:
Aquashark: I don't think there will be a hud at all. It's a trick-jumping movie not featuring a single frag. I thus don't really see any importance for the viewer to see what health/armor/ammo/powerup the player has. All the other stuff you recommended: sounds good!

i didn't say anything about using a hud.. just the speed-o-meter, because speed in some tricks might be of importance to the viewer
god damn hippies >_<
2007-05-26, 12:42
97 posts

Jan 2006
need a crosshair there!
2007-07-30, 02:05
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
I want some updates soma
2007-08-23, 18:26
News Writer