User panel stuff on forum
Index  ‹  Server Talk  ‹  Quake TV
  9 posts on 1 page  1
Server Talk
2006-08-04, 15:28
News Writer
254 posts

Mar 2006
What do people think of this and is it being used yet?

http://cqe.rytir.com/quake-tv/
and
http://www.fteqw.com/index.php?d=download#fteqtv
I ain't got no time for this jibber jabber fool
2006-08-07, 11:06
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
im eager to see this working!
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2006-08-07, 14:30
1026 posts

Feb 2006
is there a test QuakeTV boradcast?

i want to see how it works
god damn hippies >_<
2006-08-07, 16:07
1101 posts

Jan 2006
I was about to setup one today just for fun. Then I realised that it totally isn't the "easy way to spectate QW games" but rather for super popular games. I did not proceed with the setup.
2006-09-05, 08:51
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
So...what's the status on QTV? Would be nice to put it in action in a soonish future as the various tournaments comes to life after the summer. Why aren't we using it yet?
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2006-09-05, 10:26
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Because server admins don't run it. As far as I know there are only 3 running Quake-TV in world (usa, czech rep., swe?) Perhaps server admins like lagging servers, crashing overcrowded qizmos and other things? Don't know...
2006-09-05, 10:58
637 posts

Jan 2006
Johnny_cz, the answer is simple, it's still not easy to spectate. Haven't seen a crashing qizmo either
http://slip.4.pl/ - unblocking myspace facebook firewall
2006-09-05, 11:11
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
http://cqe.rytir.com/quake-tv/#observe
Quote:
If your client is ezQuake build 1432 or newer, start your client and type

qtv 1.2.3.4:5678

We presume 1.2.3.4:5678 is the IP address and port number of the internet QuakeTV proxy broadcasting QW action you'd like to observe.

For other clients you have to do following steps:
[...]

Looks easy enough to me if you got the latest version of ezQuake that is.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2006-09-05, 12:54
271 posts

Feb 2006
goqsane wrote:
Johnny_cz, the answer is simple, it's still not easy to spectate. Haven't seen a crashing qizmo either

If the proxy that you're connecting to is set up correctly, just connect to it like any other qw server, as qtv is able to translate protocols as required. It can even appear on master servers/ase just like qizmo can. I'm thinking about making it default to doing this by default.
Otherwise, if the proxy isn't set up to accept qw clients, easiest way is to download fteqw and type 'playqtv 1.2.3.4:1234', you don't even need the qtv proxy installed locally.

Claiming that it's hard to spectate a game isn't a well founded argument.

On the other hand, claiming that the qtv proxy is horrendously buggy, a pain to configure properly, lacks documentation, lacks nearly everything you want it to do, and burns cpu cycles, then you might have an argument. :p

Recent changes:
1: Spectators are able to use a '.qtv' command (via say) once connected to instruct the qtv proxy to connect to an additional source. '.demo' too.
2: Hopefully works on debian. :p

In development:
1: Password protected proxys (preventing home users from connecting 20 proxys to the game server). Only bit left is the proxy's server componants (in-dev fteqwsv supports it). Warning: current proxys will be incompatable with future servers (but current servers will work with future proxies unless a password is actually required).
2: Proxys using a single tcp port for multiple games (making the .qtv command more useful). I'm not sure if this'll make things easier or harder though. It will allow a 'currently playing' listing though. Coupled with 1, this will allow all sorts of funky extra features in the future.
3: Protocol version negotiation.
4: a .qw command allowing a spectator to to connect to an unmodified qw server from the pov of the player with the most frags. This is working, but has a few packetloss issues still, also doesn't currently chain or delay to other spectators.
5: .join, allowing a player to play through the proxy and broadcast their game.

Future plans:
1: Protocol changes to allow commentry.
2: World domination.
3: Getting ezquake team to support proper interpolation, and running at 20 packets-per-second.
4: Encouraging server admins to allow proxy admins to connect, without exposing to less usable home user proxys that noone can connect to.
5: Extending the on-proxy menus.
6: Getting an agreement on common, standard extensions to the underlying mvd protocol.
7: On-Proxy demo player/chooser.
8: Getting enough time and motivation to actually work on it again.

Wow, that was a long post.
moo
  9 posts on 1 page  1