Maps & Textures
2006-07-29, 08:20
182 posts

Mar 2006
http://qexpo.quakedev.com/uploaded/108/16quakeadaptor.png

Download: The Standard Worldcraft 3.3 Installer - 1.9 MB
Download: The QuakeAdapter for Worldcraft 3.3 - 14.4 MB
Download: TexMex Texture Manager - 1.1 MB

That's it. You will be fully and completely setup to the MAX immediately upon installation. The END. Start making a map.

A great tutorial:

View: Worldcraft 1.6a Map Making Tutorial

Mapping Questions:

1. Func_Msgboard (http://www.celephais.net)
2. aguirRe's tool tips page (http://user.tninet.se/~xir870k/tooltips.txt)

The above 3 downloads, when installed, will have you immediately setup of with the most state-of-the-art and easiest map making tools for Quake. You can start it and beginning mapping immediately, there is NO setup required and you will equipped almost as completely as Kinn, who made the gigantic Marcher Fortress map in 2005.

----------------------------------------------------------
The only things you need to know:

1. You will be using c:\program files\worldcraft as the installation folder. Sorry, non-negotiable = hardcoded.

2. Save any textures WADs (the file format Quake textures are stored in) to c:\program files\worldcraft\textures where they will be auto-converted to the format used by Worldcraft 3.3.

Limits of the texture conversion utility, Qconverge

The Qconverge utility has a couple of limitations. It can't convert WADs with > 1024 textures or textures larger than 512 x 512. Those aren't common, you may never have the problem. But it can happen. If it does, that WAD won't be converted and you'll get a warning that it wasn't converted with enough detail to figure out what happened. Very infrequent, you might never get it.

----------------------------------------------------------

Credits: Most of what the above package installs wasn't made by me, it was merely assembled by me. I did make 4 utilities and a rather sophisticated install for the QuakeAdapter, but those are trivial compared to the contents:

Credits wrote:
About the above: the above includes the outstanding map compile tools made by aguirRe, Qconverge and an entity definition file made by CZG (the author of Insomnia and many other maps). It has a couple of .map files included that had liberal readme.txt (one from Trinca, one from Zwiffle) and some other miscellaneous things.

About Mapping

One of the most enjoyable things you can do in Quake is a make a map. It is a great deal of fun, and while you are learning to make a map -- which isn't hard -- you get a great deal of insight into how the game works and how things work in other games.

Worldcraft 1.6a has historically been the most popular for making maps. It is very easy and has a great tutorial. But it also has a great deal of annoying limits. A week ago I explored using Worldcraft 3.3, a Half-Life editor, for making Quake maps. After making several adjustments, it is outstanding.

I spent a great deal of time making a totally configured setup completely reproduceable. Even though it has only been available for a short time, I've already had a few people -- including someone completely unexpected --- tell me this package was outstanding.

A map in Quake is pretty simple thing really:

1. You make the walls and structures. The "world". The unchanging physical part of the map.

2. You make buttons, doors, platforms (lifts). Entities.

3. You add health boxes, guns and if single player, monsters. These are basically point entities.

4. Lights. More point entities.

Of course, it's easier to play around and make a map than make a good map.
--------
Is that a roll of toothpicks in your pocket or are you just happy to see Sassa?
2006-07-29, 09:01
1026 posts

Feb 2006
wow.. absolutely impressive.
Baker5 much respect! <3
god damn hippies >_<
2006-10-12, 21:44
137 posts

Sep 2006
Looks like something i want to use.. But whats gone wrong for me? Everything seems to work except for seeing the map :/
this is a screen after running the included test1(or something) map

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/hoder/ezquake006.jpg

Been sketching on a map and now want to make it for real.

and it would be nice to use this instead of quark

plz help thx
2006-10-13, 06:01
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
Nice guide, I remember using WorldCraft back in the day, now i use Gtkradiant tho. But it's always nice to have alternatives.

And hoder, it looks like you are spawning outside the map
2006-10-13, 11:06
137 posts

Sep 2006
Yea i know.. But i i made 1 room with just spawn and light.. Thats how it looked, the same for the included testmap where im pretty sure the spawn is inside :/

thx though.. mayby i install quark again
2006-10-13, 12:34
182 posts

Mar 2006
Quakeworld engines default to deathmatch and there isn't an info_player_deathmatch in the sample test map.

There is only an info_player_start in the sample map, which is the spawn position for single player, so either change the info_player_start entity to an info_player_deathmatch one or set "deathmatch 0" in the console and load the map.

I'll update the test map that comes with it to include a info_player_deathmatch entity as well in the next few days so in the future someone using a Quakeworld engine with the test map doesn't run into a surprise.
--------
2006-10-13, 14:43
137 posts

Sep 2006
Sounded good.. But same problems still.. Tried both adding death-start and then added all starts :> Tried also changing to deathmatch 0

any suggestions? thx for help, appriciated
2006-10-13, 17:49
182 posts

Mar 2006
Upload the .rmf source and the .bsp

I'll take a look at it. I have a theory on this, but without those I can't confirm it.
--------
2006-10-13, 22:59
137 posts

Sep 2006
Now its seems to work except everything is black.
I can move and shoot but dont see more then shots hitting the walls.
Then i saw this :/

------ LoadMapFile ------
42 faces
7 brushes
6 entities
3 miptex
7 texinfo
WARNING: No valid wadfiles in worldmodel

guess that could be a reason? Or should i still see light and shadows?
And why cant i use the wads? Do i have to do something first, not just use the wads included?
2006-10-15, 00:59
182 posts

Mar 2006
Ok, yeah both Worldcraft and your Quake folder have to be on the same drive, unfortunately. If they aren't, Worldcraft's compile process doesn't work properly.

I noted this on the Quake Adapter page at http://www.quakeone.com/qadapter page, but it doesn't really stand out (although I made it red here).

Quote:
The only things you need to know:

1. You will be using c:\program files\worldcraft as the installation folder. Sorry, non-negotiable = hardcoded.

2. Save any textures WADs (the file format Quake textures are stored in) to c:\program files\worldcraft\textures where they will be auto-converted to the format used by Worldcraft 3.3.

3. Apparently Worldcraft doesn't like it if your Quake engine is on another drive than Worldcraft come compile time, so keep your Quake engine on the c:\ somewhere (thread reference).

Worldcraft has a quirky process it uses to compile the maps and for some reason your Quake map file output path MUST be on the same drive as Worldcraft, which is always going to be C: with the Quake Adapter.

I imagine this is what is happening in your case (your Quake folder is on drive D:, E:, F: or something, right?) and unfortunately there isn't anything I do about it. Worldcraft's compile process requires everything to be on the same drive, and the Quake Adapter would be prohibitively difficult to adapt to dynamic paths.
--------
2006-10-15, 12:14
137 posts

Sep 2006
Yea you are right.

And im unfortunatly back to quark since i dont keep games on c: (or have room)

too bad looked great

thx for the replys and effort
  11 posts on 1 page  1