User panel stuff on forum
  7 posts on 1 page  1
Server Talk
2006-06-01, 04:12
182 posts

Mar 2006
What are the most commonly used server engines for dedicated public QW (MVDSV, etc.)? And aside from MVDSV and FTE, what are the other ones commonly used for various operating systems.

I have been told in the past that MVDSV is by far the most popular. Is FTE commonly used as a server and are there any examples of heavily used servers that use that as the engine?

Also, I've seen a number of servers that do not seem to be running MVDSV because I can't get a good map download rate. What are they using and why?

Just general questions. I'm trying to learn more on this subject and probably do some documentation, if there isn't already some solid documentation out there.
--------
Is that a roll of toothpicks in your pocket or are you just happy to see Sassa?
2006-06-01, 05:34
405 posts

Jan 2006
qw dm/tdm uses ktpro, ktpro require mvdsv, so most servers is mvdsv, no doubt.

fte also possible run ktpro i hear, but i dunno how stable this.
<3
2006-06-01, 07:55
1011 posts

Feb 2006
zquake's zqds used to be used for ffa/ca/ctf etc. (i.e. where .mvd recording and ktpro features weren't needed) as its cpu utilisation used to be lower than mvdsv (dunno if this is still the case)
2006-06-01, 13:26
271 posts

Feb 2006
older cutf servers tend to run kkqwsv (focusing on cheat prevention and 'bigprogs'), newer cutf servers run cpqwsv (derivative of kkqwsv).
quakeforge servers still have a noticable presence (*qsg_version means QuakeForge).

QuakeForge *should* be the most portable, assuming you're prepared to figure out why the heck it's autoconf stuff doesn't work.

You can usually figure out what the server is by typing serverinfo.
*version 2.4 = a custom server
*version 2.33 = latest official qw release
*qsg_version = quakeforge (qsg = quake 'standards' group)
*qwe_version = mvdsv (qwe = quakeworld extended, it's former project name)
*version FTE = fte
*zext = server with zquake extensions, not always zquake, so look out for other keys first)
Other servers will give other star keys. I can't think of any others at the mo.
Either google the key name, or post it here and someone would be able to give a response.

qqshka: yes, fte can run ktpro, but ktpro has too many bugs and quirks for it to be widespread. I think there's about 8 known issues.
moo
2006-06-01, 15:17
News Writer
280 posts

May 2006
http://mvdsv.cvs.sourceforge.net/mvdsv/mvdsv/changes.txt?revision=1.78&view=markup&sortby=date
Search key: ktpro.

For example:
- bugfix ktpro: very important security fixes
(Thanks to anm-zip)
More than 1 ktpro bug (~3-4-5).

Server statistics on 25-02-2004:
?id=360" class="bb-url">http://quakeworld.ru/new.?id=360
2006-06-02, 02:55
182 posts

Mar 2006
Thanks for all the info on this. (I found that quakeworld.ru link particularly useful.)
--------
Is that a roll of toothpicks in your pocket or are you just happy to see Sassa?
2006-06-02, 14:52
News Writer
280 posts

May 2006
http://www.quakeservers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29
  7 posts on 1 page  1