User panel stuff on forum
  26 posts on 1 page  1
Client Talk
2006-05-29, 18:44
75 posts

May 2006
Hi,

I guess most of you have seen the pics going around .spam, so I might as well paste some more pics and explination here...

Mapoverview
This is a new HUD element I've made for ezquake, it shows a small image of the map and plots where they players are in realtime. This ONLY WORKS WITH MVD's.

Frags
As you can see on the screenshots there is some additional information next to the frags also, so that you can easily see the status of the different players RL's/armor/health/powerups when watching a demo. A total count for the number of RL's per team can also be enabled for the teamfrags hud element.

How does it work?
The map picture is not automatically generated or anything, it's just an image file that has to be created for each map you want to be able to show the mapoverview on. What also is needed is a conversion formula so that the quake coordinates can be translated into pixel coordinates for that particular picture. I have created a program that makes this easier (see pictures below).

Steps to create a map image:

1. Log onto a qizmo and join a server and change the map to the one you want to create the map picture for.

2. Create a new .loc-file using Qizmo and go around the level marking spots that are easy to pinpoint (corners are preffered, because they're hard to miss). Name the locations in such a way that you will remember where they are located later on.

3. Convert the .bsp-file to a .map file (or just use the original .map file) and load it into your favourite quake-mapping tool and take a screenshot of the entire level seen from above.

4. Open the screenshot in your favourite image editor and create a satisfactory map picture using this "blueprint". Save the picture as a .png

5. Open my program (not yet released), load the .png + .loc-file into the program.

6. Drag the locations that you marked in the .loc-file with qizmo onto the picture. The more spots you have, the smaller the error will be for the conversion formula.

7. Save the conversion formula to the .png-file... (ezquake will then read the conversion formula from this when it plots the players).

8. Name the .png to the same name as the map name and put it in qw/mapoverviews/

That's it

I will put up a complete instruction/tutorial when I'm done with everything.

Some pics of the new hud-element.
http://uttergrottan.localghost.net/quake/mapoverview/ezquake040.png

http://uttergrottan.localghost.net/quake/mapoverview/ezquake039.png

http://uttergrottan.localghost.net/quake/mapoverview/ezquake038.png

http://uttergrottan.localghost.net/quake/mapoverview/ezquake037.png

Some pics of the program that creates the conversion formula.
http://uttergrottan.localghost.net/quake/mapoverview/qwlm-01.png

http://uttergrottan.localghost.net/quake/mapoverview/qwlm-02.png

// Cokeman
2006-05-29, 18:48
1754 posts

Jan 2006
that's insane! really cool
where did you get the idea? and could this be used when spectating too?
2006-05-29, 18:54
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
As this is only for MVD's i guess it won't be possible to use when spectating. However, a discussion went on a couple of hours ago in #Quakeworld where they said it would be possible to use with QTV as QTV is in fact streaming MVD's. (Or something along those lines :p)

Nice work.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2006-05-29, 18:55
75 posts

May 2006
Well I made this initially to plot stuff when parsing demos for stats (which I'm still planning to do, the demo parser part is the hard part) ... Then I realized it wouldn't be hard to add the same thing "live" to quake, so I did.

// Cokeman
2006-05-29, 18:56
1754 posts

Jan 2006
Well is it hard to make it work with spectating?
If not then do it
2006-05-29, 18:57
75 posts

May 2006
Yea only works with MVD's, since you don't have all the info of where all the players are when just spectating ;/

I don't know much about QTV, but when it gets moved into ezQuake "for real" instead of running as an external app, it would be possible to watch live matches using this.

// Cokeman
2006-05-29, 19:00
386 posts

Apr 2006
That's a great idea. It's amazing that no one thought of it before, because it's such a useful tool for following big 4on4 matches.

If there was some way for the commentators to implement it into their routine, it would make their jobs a lot easier and the commentating more accurate.

Well done.
2006-05-29, 19:45
68 posts

May 2006
nice work... this idea came from counter-strike i guess... =]
and how we add this hud element in ezquake?? new build ? plugin? etc..
2006-05-29, 20:30
75 posts

May 2006
Counterstrike?!?! wtf.... No

It will be in the next build of ezquake.

// Cokeman
2006-05-29, 20:47
4 posts

Jan 2006
It's been done before...kinda. There's a seven year old standalone program, that lets you view/analyse .qwds in 3D
http://imagesocket.com/images/06333fc41c1b1.JPG

http://imagesocket.com/images/74f414890fa22.JPG

http://imagesocket.com/images/12df2d2518723.JPG
2006-05-29, 20:48
1754 posts

Jan 2006
try it in FTE first?
2006-05-29, 20:52
75 posts

May 2006
OOh, cool stuff Ponk... You should release the source for that

// Cokeman
2006-05-29, 23:24
68 posts

May 2006
this map overview stuff is something that cs has it built-in in spectator mode.. thought u got ur idea from that =]
2006-05-30, 04:14
67 posts

Apr 2006
yup, done in CS... but cut the shit....

will this work in linux?
2006-05-30, 07:15
1100 posts

Jan 2006
ponk wrote:
It's been done before...kinda. There's a seven year old standalone program, that lets you view/analyse .qwds in 3D

So, where can we get it?
2006-05-30, 08:55
1026 posts

Feb 2006
A.w.e.s.o.m.e.-o.
god damn hippies >_<
2006-05-30, 11:24
59 posts

Mar 2006
A very good idea but not quite new indeed.
The program posted by Ponk was made by OCR-Iwan in '98 already and Jjonez suggested the following as fa rback as march 2001:

Jjonez wrote:
in game map of the level with position of teammates indicated, maybe including color shading (green/red) of areas reported to be safe/unsafe

Colour shading would be cool indeed.
2006-05-31, 17:08
569 posts

Feb 2006
didnt read all posts.. anyways..
wouldnt the radar show players close to yourself when playing 4v4?
2006-05-31, 18:11
7 posts

May 2006
willgurht: na, does not work while playing. it's demoviewing/spectating related

cokeman: very nice, commentators will "love" you for that one colouring safe/lost areas or quad player blend should be possible, he?
2006-05-31, 20:54
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
add names to the dots too
2006-05-31, 21:25
75 posts

May 2006
psilo wrote:
colouring safe/lost areas or quad player blend should be possible, he?

I've been thinking up a scheme of doing something like that, but it's only in my head so far... But it's a possibility, yes

Empezar wrote:
add names to the dots too

Been thinking about doing that also, but the normal font is way too big for that, they would be in the way. So to do that I'd have to make a small charset.
2006-06-01, 07:16
693 posts

Jan 2006
You could just assign a number, or even a different shade of that team's colour to each player, and then represent them using that number and/or colour on the map.
2006-06-01, 15:32
569 posts

Feb 2006
psilo wrote:

cokeman: very nice, commentators will "love" you for that one colouring safe/lost areas or quad player blend should be possible, he?

when u record a qwd and convert it to mvd, you are able to watch povs of players being close to the one recording the qwd. So if you enabled this hud item when playing, it would kinda work..

obvious cheat, but still... some people use aimbots or ghost.
2006-06-01, 18:16
80 posts

Jan 2006
Willgurht wrote:
psilo wrote:

when u record a qwd and convert it to mvd, you are able to watch povs of players being close to the one recording the qwd. So if you enabled this hud item when playing, it would kinda work..

It's not gonna work while playing. You still need to enable the command (which for obvious reasons wont work while playing) to gain anything out of this.

it's like saying cl_autoid 1 can be used as a cheat in Fuhquake, but that command only works while watching demos.
2006-06-01, 20:00
68 posts

May 2006
valla wrote:
Willgurht wrote:
psilo wrote:

It's not gonna work while playing. You still need to enable the command (which for obvious reasons wont work while playing) to gain anything out of this.

it's like saying cl_autoid 1 can be used as a cheat in Fuhquake, but that command only works while watching demos.

the cvar scr_autoid 1, which displays player names on top of the player models, work as spectator and demo viewing modes.... both in ezquake and fuh above 0.30
2006-06-01, 20:57
805 posts

Mar 2006
OrGg wrote:
valla wrote:
Willgurht wrote:

the cvar scr_autoid 1, which displays player names on top of the player models, work as spectator and demo viewing modes.... both in ezquake and fuh above 0.30

spectator != player
https://tinyurl.com/qwbrasil - QuakeFiles
  26 posts on 1 page  1