User panel stuff on forum
  7 posts on 1 page  1
Rookies' Corner
2023-05-15, 21:39
1 post

May 2023
Hello Quake Community,

I hope this message finds you all well. I have fond memories of delving into the adrenaline-filled universe of QuakeWorld back in the late '90s and early 2000s, and recently, I've felt a strong call to rekindle that passion. The action, the strategy, the sheer thrill of it – there's no doubt in my mind that QuakeWorld remains the absolute pinnacle of my gaming experiences.

As I prepare to dive back in, I would greatly appreciate some guidance from the seasoned players and tech-savvy folks in this community. My goal is to get up and running with QuakeWorld again, and I'm particularly curious about running it on a Linux system. Is this feasible, and if so, what specific steps would I need to follow? Are there any particular distributions or packages that work better for QuakeWorld?

Alternatively, would a Windows setup be more advisable? I'm open to both possibilities and am primarily looking for the best performance and gameplay experience.

Additionally, I would be grateful if you could suggest the best settings for QuakeWorld. I remember there was a multitude of configuration options, so some advice on optimizing these would be very welcome.

Lastly, if you could point me towards some well-regarded servers where I could start my journey anew, that would be fantastic. I'm eager to immerse myself in the vibrant world of Quake once more, and finding a solid community to game with is a big part of that.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration. I eagerly await your thoughts and suggestions.
2023-05-29, 09:06
4 posts

Dec 2013
Hi and welcome Royal!

Your Linux question I cannot help with I’m afraid but if you choose windows it’s quite easy to get going with nQuake(www.nquake.com)

Settings are usually up to the player but there are configs to pick and choose from on this site under Game Content. Grab what you like from the configs

For servers there is hub.quakeworld.nu and also an in-game server browser you can use. A useful server-finder is also tools.quake.world/servers/

Since you’re Swedish the easisest ones are probably quake.se:28501-9, dk.quake.world:27501-5 and troopers.fi:28001

I would also recommend joining the discord @ discord.quake.world
2023-05-29, 19:30
215 posts

Feb 2011
Yes join the discord, plenty of people there to help, and Linux is very easy to get working.
2023-06-29, 21:34
Administrator
334 posts

Jan 2006
linux is easy to get going? HAH!
ready!
2023-07-04, 06:32
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
Royal wrote:
Hello Quake Community,

I hope this message finds you all well. I have fond memories of delving into the adrenaline-filled universe of QuakeWorld back in the late '90s and early 2000s, and recently, I've felt a strong call to rekindle that passion. The action, the strategy, the sheer thrill of it – there's no doubt in my mind that QuakeWorld remains the absolute pinnacle of my gaming experiences.

As I prepare to dive back in, I would greatly appreciate some guidance from the seasoned players and tech-savvy folks in this community. My goal is to get up and running with QuakeWorld again, and I'm particularly curious about running it on a Linux system. Is this feasible, and if so, what specific steps would I need to follow? Are there any particular distributions or packages that work better for QuakeWorld?

Alternatively, would a Windows setup be more advisable? I'm open to both possibilities and am primarily looking for the best performance and gameplay experience.

Additionally, I would be grateful if you could suggest the best settings for QuakeWorld. I remember there was a multitude of configuration options, so some advice on optimizing these would be very welcome.

Lastly, if you could point me towards some well-regarded servers where I could start my journey anew, that would be fantastic. I'm eager to immerse myself in the vibrant world of Quake once more, and finding a solid community to game with is a big part of that.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration. I eagerly await your thoughts and suggestions.

Welcome back!

About the Linux stuff, lots of people choose to build themselves (https://github.com/QW-Group/ezquake-source), but there are lots of prebuilt stuff at builds.quakeworld.nu.

The easiest thing you can do though is to install Discord (sort of like the modern IRC) and join the official QW server by typing "discord.quake.world" into a browser, which should lead you to a direct invite to the server. The majority of the community have moved to a Discord-only approach which is why these forums aren't as active as in the past, so Discord is certainly recommended!

Happy to help you further if you need anything =)
2023-07-26, 23:04
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
ParadokS wrote:
linux is easy to get going? HAH!

Easier than around 2010 something when we played the finals and I had to choose between mm3 and ingame sound, remember that?

That was actually the trigger point for me to make the linux client be on par with Windows, which it is today (if not better).
2023-07-28, 23:36
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
For everyone interested in trying linux to play QuakeWorld, here is an updated step-by-step guide
https://github.com/ciscon/quake-bootable
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
  7 posts on 1 page  1