User panel stuff on forum
  15 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2019-05-31, 18:12
105 posts

Apr 2017
I'm currently making a bot that plays DM4 like a human and does all the fancy tricks that humans do like bunny hopping, sticky wall sliding, fake dropping etc. It also has all the limitations of a human like not being able to see through walls and so has to use sound to keep track of an opponent's position.

You can download here.

To install it you can create a new folder in your quake folder and drop the above qwprogs.dat file into it. Then when you start QW you enter Gamedir <foldername> into the console and then 'Map DM4'. The bot should then enter automatically.
2019-05-31, 21:27
343 posts

Feb 2006
lemonjuiced wrote:
I'm currently making a bot that plays DM4 like a human and does all the fancy tricks that humans do like bunny hopping, sticky wall sliding, fake dropping etc. It also has all the limitations of a human like not being able to see through walls and so has to use sound to keep track of an opponent's position.

You can download here.

To install it you can create a new folder in your quake folder and drop the above qwprogs.dat file into it. Then when you start QW you enter Gamedir <foldername> into the console and then 'Map DM4'. The bot should then enter automatically.

Doesn't work for me on ezquake 3.5 no bot is joining
ProjectQ1Q3, Frogbot Waypoint and Map Conversion Tutorial @ http://mickkn.mooo.com
2019-06-01, 14:56
105 posts

Apr 2017
Mick wrote:

When the map loads try the command 'Addbot' . If that fails then you could try temporarily replacing the qwprogs.dat file in your qw folder with my version.
2019-06-02, 11:01
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
Mick wrote:

lemonjuiced wrote:
When the map loads try the command 'Addbot' . If that fails then you could try temporarily replacing the qwprogs.dat file in your qw folder with my version.

He is most likely using nQuake, which has a qwprogs.dat in the frogbot.pk3 file, and it takes precedence.
2019-06-02, 13:37
286 posts

Sep 2012
I'm not using nquake andI'm not sure if it works either, even after removing progs.pk3 and the fbca folder I had.
I mean after a /gamedir test , /map dm4, /addbot I have a bot but it seems like a regular level 10 bot, with a regular random name...
2019-10-04, 19:42
105 posts

Apr 2017
Here's a much improved version over the original: Humanoid

Thankfully it no longer plays like me and so I've renamed it Humanoid. You can now spectate the bots and see how they behave. Make sure you use 'sv_bigcoords 1' before starting a game. This will make the spectator cam nice and smooth.
2019-10-05, 03:43
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
I gave it a quick run, might just be me... But it didn't seem that Human with it's 76% lg, unless it's Interceptor incarnated

Do please explain something about it tho
2019-10-05, 09:03
105 posts

Apr 2017
Haha. Yeah I should probably turn its LG down a little.

But it's challenging and that was the point of making the bot. I wanted a challenging bot that didn't resort to cheating by looking through walls etc. I'm a sneaky player and so I enjoy misdirecting, ambushing or sneaking up on my opponent. This wasn't possible with the all the other bots I tried. Also the other bots weren't challenging at all. After playing frogbots for a few years the only challenge was seeing if I could beat them 100% or not. Heck it even got to the point where I was seeing if I could beat them without taking any damage at all. It all became a little silly.

Now with Humanoid I'm back to wondering if I'll actually win the game.
2019-10-07, 21:34
49 posts

Jul 2017
Simply great work!!!
Long ago i was starting to implement something like this on dm6 and it remained unfinished and barely started. After 4 month of coding..
if you want to cut his LG percentage imo better to do it optionally - it's very interesting the way it is now
(Finally bitten that beast 14-11 - he's still a bot, but very good - he takes many free damage down at RA, not chasing me in corridors to low GA,
but still very impressive)
https://pasteboard.co/IAVxJ44.png

Waiting for VVD or some capitalist's demos wiining Humanoid 27:1 ...
Maybe someone with strong lg,gl, and decent rocket would be able to destroy him with scores more than could be achived on human,
taking RA at times and denying LG it seems totally possible
2019-10-12, 03:03
805 posts

Mar 2006
https://extraimage.net/images/2019/10/12/f9578c3d797c619df01f183d9a4877f3.jpg

I think your bot liked me (a lot)!
https://tinyurl.com/qwbrasil - QuakeFiles
2019-10-12, 16:20
105 posts

Apr 2017
I think because I deliberately avoided making it play defensively (AKA boringly) it will always be possible to have games where you can totally dominate the bot. But this is the nature of DM4/Quake. It's possible for two top Div 1 human players to dominate each other to. But having said that, the bot definitely still needs work as I don't think it could dominate a Div 1 player yet.

I'm not gonna be able to work on it for a while now. But I may return next year and hopefully take it up a level.

(Edited 2019-10-12, 18:10)
2019-10-12, 17:11
805 posts

Mar 2006
* Do your bot uses the same waypoints used by frogbots?
* How difficult would be to add support to more maps?
* Can you add a setting to adjust the bot skill?
* And maybe add a separate setting to adjust the bot skill with the lightning gun?

thx
https://tinyurl.com/qwbrasil - QuakeFiles
2019-10-12, 18:07
105 posts

Apr 2017
vegetous wrote:
* Do your bot uses the same waypoints used by frogbots?
* How difficult would be to add support to more maps?
* Can you add a setting to adjust the bot skill?
* And maybe add a separate setting to adjust the bot skill with the lightning gun?
thx

The AI works very different to frogbot. There aren't any data defined waypoints in Humanoid. Instead for every area of DM4 there's a small snippet of code that tells the bot how to behave. The waypoints method doesn't really work and you can see in the original Frogbot code that they started adding map specific code in an attempt to overcome the limitations of the waypoint system. For example, frogbot was hard-coded to camp the YA entrance on DM4.

But the downside of not using waypoints is that it can take six months to add support for a specific map. That's assuming you want the bot to be challenging.

I'd like to add Aerowalk and DM2 support one day. DM2 is a very difficult map for waypoint based bots. Humanoid's approach would work great for DM2.

I doubt that I'll add a skill level. I think if somebody wants a lower skill bot then they should just play frogbots. But when I get time I'll definitely turn down Humanoid's LG. It's too inhuman!
2019-10-15, 08:38
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
lemonjuiced wrote:
I doubt that I'll add a skill level. I think if somebody wants a lower skill bot then they should just play frogbots. But when I get time I'll definitely turn down Humanoid's LG. It's too inhuman!

Can't you just make the LG part a variable that can be set?
2019-10-15, 23:45
105 posts

Apr 2017
Zalon wrote:

Can't you just make the LG part a variable that can be set?

lemonjuiced wrote:

15 posts on 1 page  1