User panel stuff on forum
  46 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page
LAN tournaments
2019-02-01, 14:51
Administrator
384 posts

Dec 2006
My guess is sweden is still optimal due to the large number of players from .se/.fi, although maybe less so than in the past due (it kinda feels like there may be a higher proportion of non-Scandinavian players now, at least going by the servers people are tending to play on, but I might be wrong.

Worth noting that QW players are generally older and hence probably have more disposable income now than say 10-15 years ago so more likely to be able to afford the travel; on the flipside they probably have less free time (due to families and other commitments) so timing is probably more of a factor than cost nowadays.
2019-02-02, 20:45
22 posts

Jan 2016
Any interest in having qhlan 2019?
- Yes!

What would be the ideal location for all?
- Sweden pref, but anything goes.

Would you go?
- As long as its not July.

What month would suit?
- All except July.

Could you donate a small fee towards the organization of the lan?
- Yes.
2019-02-03, 12:37
60 posts

Sep 2016
Still no word back from inferno .. I will call them shortly
2019-02-06, 16:18
280 posts

Jan 2015
dev@Y720:~$ wget -q -O - http://qhlan.org/attendees | grep -o 'flags/.*\.gif' | sed -e 's/flags\//\[flag=/g' -e 's/\.gif/\]/g' | sort | uniq -c | sort -bgr

I guess we can safely state that it should happen in Sweden, Finland or Denmark?
dev
2019-02-06, 18:58
News Writer
105 posts

Sep 2014
andrestone wrote:
I guess we can safely state that it should happen in Sweden, Finland or Denmark?

If QHLan had happened in Brazil, most of the attendees would have been from Brazil, and then the argument that we can safely state that it should happen in Brazil would have equal weight. Essentially, it's an appeal to tradition; I like traditions, and would happily go to Sweden on such a basis, but that's all it is.
2019-02-06, 20:18
280 posts

Jan 2015
praxismo wrote:
andrestone wrote:

If QHLan had happened in Brazil, most of the attendees would have been from Brazil, and then the argument that we can safely state that it should happen in Brazil would have equal weight. Essentially, it's an appeal to tradition; I like traditions, and would happily go to Sweden on such a basis, but that's all it is.

The only thing that you're missing maybe is that if QHLan happened in Brazil you would get some 10 attendees and there isn't a "Finland", a "Denmark" and an "Europe" within 2000km distance, which is home to 80% of the active and semi-active player base.

The point is simple, there is not another country with more potential attendees than Sweden, but as Denmark and Finland are nearby and these countries are home to a proven amount of potential attendees, it would be nice to go there as well, just for a change.
dev
2019-02-06, 20:44
60 posts

Sep 2016
I’m easy but Sweden seems to be the choice

Anyway, inferno are pissing me off now with their lacklustre effort on getting this going.

Might post something on reddit; see if there’s any one over that would know of suitable venues.
2019-02-07, 09:56
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Copenhagen (Denmark) might be worth checking out as they seem to have a few cafes.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2019-02-07, 19:41
60 posts

Sep 2016
Reply from inferno:

Quote:

Hello!

Sorry for delayed response, had to check some details before I could reply.

We can also offer the E-sport arena section of our big center at Odenplan.
This area hosts around 60 PCs.
The cost for renting this area is at 4000 crowns per hour. Additional costs can apply for things such as cleaning, extra staff etc (depending on details of course).

Come back to me if you have additional thoughts on this. The response will be a lot swifter this time!

Kind regards,

Inferno Online

Works out about €7 per hour per person based on 60 attendees.

Thoughts?
2019-02-08, 06:28
News Writer
105 posts

Sep 2014
andrestone wrote:
The only thing that you're missing maybe is that if QHLan happened in Brazil you would get some 10 attendees and there isn't a "Finland", a "Denmark" and an "Europe" within 2000km distance, which is home to 80% of the active and semi-active player base.

I'm not missing that, it's exactly the crux of my point. If QHLan had happened in Brazil, and we chose the same data for analysis, then the data would support having the next QHLan in Brazil, despite the fact that there is a larger playerbase concentrated in another part of the world. This is why Brazil is a good example to highlight why discriminating for past attendance when selecting data in deriving an argument of where to host a LAN, is circular reasoning.

It would be better to use data from online tournaments, to get a more reliable picture, (which if I hazard a guess will probably still suggest Scandinavia, and more: Sweden), and then consider the potential effect on attendance of improving accessibility and suitability for those whose attendance may be perturbed by having the LAN in Northern Europe.
2019-02-25, 12:29
280 posts

Jan 2015
up
dev
2019-02-26, 08:06
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
Ake Vader wrote:
Copenhagen (Denmark) might be worth checking out as they seem to have a few cafes.

Amsterdam or Copenhagen would be great.... or even Stockholm if it wasn't so far from the city or the airport
2019-02-27, 17:24
60 posts

Sep 2016
Gone quiet - I’ve found inferno to be ignorant bastards to be quite honest.

I will check with Rasta re Amsterdam. Any one else got any ideas for venue?
2019-03-03, 23:55
News Writer
221 posts

Jan 2013
Yes.
A venue where beer is allowed and/or close to a bar.
If Trygve goes, I'll go (if I can).
Mid or late august.
Yes.
2019-04-02, 22:35
2019-05-12, 11:09
60 posts

Sep 2016
In case any one missed it - signups open now @ https://www.qhlan.org
  46 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page