User panel stuff on forum
  18 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2017-10-23, 12:12
38 posts

Jan 2006
Hi fellows!

I have a problem, I returned to play quake after long years, just for fun, I had still ezquake 2. something versions and game was freezing on the end of the match, just show on console the last (1) second and then freezes everything without connecting again, like it was timeout and I'm not able to do anything, unless type /reconnect, what makes me lose the place on server sometimes or reconnect as spectator.

On my old days I would even start a config from scratch but today I don't remember any command and cannot see which is the problem.

I updated ezQuake to version 3 and the problem remains. Can anyone help with this? It's simply annoying since I can't even see the statistics or score.
Sometimes when playing 1on1 everything goes normal, but 2on2, 4on4 almost everytme I have to reconnect.

I use a .bat from old times, dunno if is related and haven't much time to figure it out.

Here's the description of .bat file:
start ezquake.exe -bpp 32 -width 640 -height 480 -norjscripts -ruleset smackdown -m_smooth -dinput +set cl_independentphysics 1 +set vid_displayfrequency 120 +set cl_confirmquit 0 +cfg_load ins

What commands are needed, which are not? Can anyone give me a smooth set? (btw, displayfreequency and -width, - height seem not to have effect anymore).

I'm playing in laptop that already is not the best, so I would like to have the best configuration (.bat and set of command, grafic (cause mine blur, I put like this not to pay attention to details, but today can't put grafics (maps) to it's best) plus actual simple teamplay messages, mines seem like dinosaur.

If you can help me to solve first problem I would appreciate very much, with time I'll fix everything else. If you are so kind to wrote me down some .bat and/or commands I promisse not to kill you on next 2on2, 4on4 and be eterna grateful.

It's klling me not to be able to start jump more than 460 when I used to do all jump tricks.

Thank you very much! GG's and have fun!
Not a Gamer!
2017-10-23, 12:21
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Welcome back!

Commandline options:
i believe all of those should not be necessary anymore - everything is saved in the config. So maybe try just launching ezquake.exe and see if you notice anything different.

Graphics for laptop:
Personally i just use the latest nQuake and set resolution to 1024x768 (or even 800x600). When you change graphics via the menu then you need to uncheck "Use desktop resolutoin" before changing the resolutoin. The cvars have been change to vid_width and vid_height i believe.

TP messages:
if you try typing tp_msg*tab* in console then you'll see a list of ezQuake's in-built message commands that are enough for 99% of cases.
Examples: tp_msgreport, tp_msgtook, tp_msgsafe, tp_msgpoint etc
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2017-10-23, 12:46
38 posts

Jan 2006
Thanks! It's good to be back.

Hope that will fix the "freeze thing" at the end of the match.

I'll check all that on weekend when I'll have time. Thanks for the quick reply!
Not a Gamer!
2017-10-23, 13:25
105 posts

Apr 2017
Try disabling the auto screenshot feature with: match_auto_sshot 0

The CPU grabbing the video cards' framebuffer is slow.

There's a bunch of variables beginning with match_auto... Try disabling those if you still get freezes.
2017-10-23, 19:49
5 posts

Feb 2015
I had a problem like this in the past. Often when at the end of the game the stats of all players would be printed to the console my game would lag out and show 100% packet loss. The only way to get past this was to /reconnect when this happened. I think I sometimes could trigger it with /lastscores (or a similar command) as well.

For me both ezQuake and Fodquake showed the same problem. It also happened on different servers. So it was probably neither a client nor a server problem, but most likely some networking issue. I wasn't able to isolate to problem to a certain component (OS, NIC, router/modem, ISP, ...).

After trying QW again after some time and some bigger changes (new computer, having moved within the city, new ISP) the problem was gone and I am unable to pinpoint which of those fixed the problem.

So the only actual helpful thing I can say is to try Fodquake and see if that works or if you have the same problem there.
2017-11-18, 13:55
38 posts

Jan 2006
qirex wrote:
I had a problem like this in the past. Often when at the end of the game the stats of all players would be printed to the console my game would lag out and show 100% packet loss. The only way to get past this was to /reconnect when this happened. I think I sometimes could trigger it with /lastscores (or a similar command) as well.

For me both ezQuake and Fodquake showed the same problem. It also happened on different servers. So it was probably neither a client nor a server problem, but most likely some networking issue. I wasn't able to isolate to problem to a certain component (OS, NIC, router/modem, ISP, ...).

After trying QW again after some time and some bigger changes (new computer, having moved within the city, new ISP) the problem was gone and I am unable to pinpoint which of those fixed the problem.

So the only actual helpful thing I can say is to try Fodquake and see if that works or if you have the same problem there.

Yes, I checked yesterday that /lastscores sometimes triggers this and I have to reconnect. Can't figure it out, before I move to laptop everything was fine, and as graphic card as processor/ram are better in laptop, just the monitor 60hz sucks!

I would very much appreciate a solution to this problem, since having to reconnect all the time and lose place on servers sucks.

By now I tried everything I could, less reinstall Quake or nQuake, as I use my old Quake, pak1, etc... but tried all the commands possible. Nothing worked.

Disabled all match_* and everything mentioned before, tried diferent types of resolution, etc...

Fixed all my settings problems, still on testing some, but this can't go around.... HELP!

PS: Could you tell me when the problem happened to you if you were on WiFi? Because, I do and tens to get PL...
Not a Gamer!
2017-11-18, 18:59
60 posts

Sep 2016
I’ve seen er do something similar at the end of each game - could be same issue?
2017-11-18, 22:03
Administrator
284 posts

Sep 2015
lordlame wrote:
I’ve seen er do something similar at the end of each game - could be same issue?

I think it is, a while ago I looked at demos recorded that had the problem - lots of choked messages. Looked at source-code in mvdsv and was looking for a consistent way to reproduce, but didn't get very far with it. Think this is server issue with the reliable buffers never being cleared or sent when filled with large amounts of data.

Didn't realise it happened on /lastscores as well, that should be much easier to try and reproduce.
2017-11-19, 14:03
49 posts

Jul 2017
my ezquake freezes when in case i unplug internet cable and use crosscable to other machine
i start ezquake and wait for ages... version 3.1 august 2017
2017-11-19, 16:55
57 posts

Oct 2015
You should just try a clean install of quake with just pak0.pak / pak1.pak and ezquake in a new quake folder.

Quote:
Clean Quake Install

As we've said already, you need data from original Quake game to run this client. Those data are stored in files pak0.pak (included in shareware version of Quake) and pak1.pak (included in the full version of Quake game). To make a clean Quake installation do following:

Create a new directory on your disc, we will call this directory your "Quake directory" or "Quake root" from now on.
Create directory called "id1" in your Quake directory.
copy both pak0.pak and pak1.pak files into the id1 directory
Now you can install this client or any other Quake engine into the Quake directory. Have fun. :-)

Required final structure

Quake [dir]
id1 [dir]
pak0.pak [file from full or shareware Quake]
pak1.pak [file from full Quake version, optional]
ezquake [dir]
base.pk3 [included in ezQuake package]
help.pk3
ezquake.exe
ezquake-gl.exe

So this way you're not running batch files to change settings on startup etc. Just a nice clean config with nothing to interfere. If the problem is still happening maybe it will require a bug report since you're not doing anything fancy? Either way try this out and see if the crash at the end of the game still happens.
2017-11-19, 18:14
38 posts

Jan 2006
foogs wrote:
You should just try a clean install of quake with just pak0.pak / pak1.pak and ezquake in a new quake folder.

Quote:
Clean Quake Install

As we've said already, you need data from original Quake game to run this client. Those data are stored in files pak0.pak (included in shareware version of Quake) and pak1.pak (included in the full version of Quake game). To make a clean Quake installation do following:

Create a new directory on your disc, we will call this directory your "Quake directory" or "Quake root" from now on.
Create directory called "id1" in your Quake directory.
copy both pak0.pak and pak1.pak files into the id1 directory
Now you can install this client or any other Quake engine into the Quake directory. Have fun. :-)

Required final structure

Quake [dir]
id1 [dir]
pak0.pak [file from full or shareware Quake]
pak1.pak [file from full Quake version, optional]
ezquake [dir]
base.pk3 [included in ezQuake package]
help.pk3
ezquake.exe
ezquake-gl.exe

So this way you're not running batch files to change settings on startup etc. Just a nice clean config with nothing to interfere. If the problem is still happening maybe it will require a bug report since you're not doing anything fancy? Either way try this out and see if the crash at the end of the game still happens.

I was thinking exactly that. As soon as I can I will try out, before, will simply start quake from .exe instead of .bat anyway and check.

Also maybe help with smoothness in game, I got it rough... I'll clean config and check for smoothness too.

Fresh start sounds good! (although some nostalgy, have the same Quake files for 15+ years...)

Thanks a lot! Regards!
Not a Gamer!
2017-11-19, 18:38
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
Quote:

start ezquake.exe -bpp 32 -width 640 -height 480 -norjscripts -ruleset smackdown -m_smooth -dinput +set cl_independentphysics 1 +set vid_displayfrequency 120 +set cl_confirmquit 0 +cfg_load ins

What commands are needed, which are not? Can anyone give me a smooth set? (btw, displayfreequency and -width, - height seem not to have effect anymore).

Yeah there's been some changes since you last tried ezQuake

One of the things changed is that it by default uses your desktop resolution. You can avoid that by setting vid_usedesktopres 0 and set vid_width and vid_height respectively.

You shouldn't use any cmdline options really. Set the options you want, vid_restart etc until you have everything you want. Do a cfg_save config and it will save it to the default config file that gets loaded upon startup.

There's no more in_mouse, its obsolete and replaced by in_raw 0/1. You should really use 1 here.
2017-11-19, 19:07
48 posts

Jan 2010
lordlame wrote:

Hi,
Yea it’s same issue since January. Around 85% of times I have to reconnect as it’s not responding. Sometimes it gives last scores/stats without any issues. Next game it’s same story.
So far I have tried - multiple Qw packages - rikolls, avengers, nquake, ottonquake, bpsqw, quakewordl impacted, original quake install cd, my own Qw which i was using without any issues since 2011 same issue.

Tried on two PCs, one laptop, different hdds.

Lastscores triggers the bug as well - 100% packet loss while it’s printing lastscores or cmd dlist.
It was working perfectly fine in December 2016 I went for a holiday for a month when came back bug was there suddenly.
One thing that got changed - router as I got rid of tv and swapped horizon box for “regular” virgin media router at that time. I guess it’s related to ISP/router itself.

For now I’m reconnecting which isn’t bad, but lack of stats drives me mad as I don’t know if I have to OWN more or not lol

Edit: I’ve noticed that if I’m playing 1on1 and there are no specs on server chances of getting stats and scores are around 50-60%
With specs there, 2on2 or 4on4 in 80-90% of games I won’t see stats or scores at the end of the game :/
2017-11-20, 10:38
280 posts

Jan 2015
I remember experiencing this in one of my setups. So annoying when you can't find explanation for things.
dev
2017-11-22, 09:29
News Writer
280 posts

May 2006
It's MTU issues of your connection - ISP or your router.
2017-11-22, 13:15
48 posts

Jan 2010
Thanks VVD, will play with MTU and see if that helps
2020-03-24, 11:46
135 posts

Jan 2006
er wrote:
Thanks VVD, will play with MTU and see if that helps

Did it help ER?
MAGNUM 44
2023-12-16, 12:07
8 posts

Jan 2006
Same thing after changing ISP (router)
Just check ur maximum mtu allowed by the router then set that value as MTU in .cfg.
In my case:
Quote:
C:\Users\tiall>ping google.com -f -l 1433

Pinging google.com [142.250.75.14] with 1433 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.0.1: Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set.
Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set.

Ping statistics for 142.250.75.14:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 1, Lost = 3 (75% loss),

C:\Users\tiall>ping google.com -f -l 1432

Pinging google.com [142.250.75.14] with 1432 bytes of data:
Reply from 142.250.75.14: bytes=68 (sent 1432) time=22ms TTL=58
Reply from 142.250.75.14: bytes=68 (sent 1432) time=19ms TTL=58
Reply from 142.250.75.14: bytes=68 (sent 1432) time=19ms TTL=58
Reply from 142.250.75.14: bytes=68 (sent 1432) time=22ms TTL=58

Ping statistics for 142.250.75.14:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 19ms, Maximum = 22ms, Average = 20ms