User panel stuff on forum
  23 posts on 1 page  1
Help
2016-08-17, 10:14
137 posts

Sep 2006
Hello guys,

its time for me to get a new pc and need a little help with parts as i dont know shit what would be good anymore.

I´m gonna play qw and some mame(processordemandng), and not much more.. :-) Streaming and other non demanding stuff.

Gonne try switching to linux, scary stuff.
Also think im gonna get a new screen, so tips here would also be very appriciated.

Again, i dont need a pc for newer games! ;-P

Planning on buying it on webhallen.se

Please help me!

//
would this be sufficient?
http://www.webhallen.com/se-sv/datorer_och_tillbehor/243532-lenovo_300-20ish_i5-6400-8gb-1tb8gb_ssd-gtx750ti

And this a good one?
Asus 24" LED Rog Swift PG248Q 144/180hz / 1ms / HDMI,DP / G-Sync

(have no fkn clue what screen to go for...) But it want a "good one" without disturbing flashy lights or the possibility to disconnect them..
2016-08-17, 11:47
82 posts

Jul 2009
I would not consider a computer without an SSD. Are you planning to add one?

Linux is fine, I have been using it pretty much exclusively from ~2001, both at home and at work.
Some features are missing from QW on Linux, like dumping replays into a video file. Not sure about streaming, never tried.
2016-08-18, 11:50
137 posts

Sep 2006
drowsy wrote:
I would not consider a computer without an SSD. Are you planning to add one?

Linux is fine, I have been using it pretty much exclusively from ~2001, both at home and at work.
Some features are missing from QW on Linux, like dumping replays into a video file. Not sure about streaming, never tried.

Thank you!

Yea I was actually planning on a ssd, i just threw in something to go from there. Planning on a good and quiet fan, think i can get tips at the store for that and the chassi etc.

The big questions is gfx-card and cpu i guess, ye and motherboard..
Would those i put there be ok for qw you think, or is there better options?

Anyone know what screen to go for? Could the suggested one be good or is there something better for the same price or cheaper?
2016-08-18, 13:12
82 posts

Jul 2009
hoder wrote:

Planning on a good and quiet fan, think i can get tips at the store for that and the chassi etc.

The big questions is gfx-card and cpu i guess, ye and motherboard..
Would those i put there be ok for qw you think, or is there better options?

Anyone know what screen to go for? Could the suggested one be good or is there something better for the same price or cheaper?

I got a liquid cooler when it was on sale. I never hear it

CPU looks fine. GPU is absolutely fine for QW, but it is outdated (released in Feb 2014). RAM is too low.

I have Asus VG248QE, great for QW at 144hz. Can't comment on the price since I have no idea even what language that page is in, yet alone currency
2016-08-18, 17:53
137 posts

Sep 2006
Very valuable answers, thank you very much!

I'll put together a package and post here as soon as i got time and see if looks ok for qw!
:-)

Also,
anything important to know about mouses or should most newer ones designed for gaming work in qw?

My mx518 was abit small when i bought it and seems to have shrunken since then, and the warrenty is probably out..
:-p
2016-08-18, 23:11
82 posts

Jul 2009
I have G402 Logitech mouse, the shape is similar to mx518, but morons from Logitech added some LED lights that you can only turn
off using their software in Windows, there is no Linux support.

I think my next mouse will be Zowie. No LEDs (at least on Zowie FK1), and no software needed.
2016-08-19, 00:28
245 posts

Jan 2006
That 180hz monitor probably needs displayport. Using HDMI with a GTX750 is not a good idea unless you want 60hz
2016-08-25, 16:34
137 posts

Sep 2006
raket wrote:
That 180hz monitor probably needs displayport. Using HDMI with a GTX750 is not a good idea unless you want 60hz

Would the gtx750 be good enough to get 144hz with that asus vg248qe?

And ram, is 16 what to go for?

The hd in the package in the first post is a "hybrid" with 8gb ssd, are those ok?
Dont know how much space linux needs, but 8gb must be enough?

Fuck i hate these things nowdays.. :,-(

I got budget for a little bit more expensive pc, but dont really need more then a really smooth qw.
And would be nice with a cpu thats good for the mame emulator, if anyone knows anything about that please comment, but i think any newer intel would be ok.

(and for swedes, is there any country in eu thats much cheaper to order the parts from instead of using webhallen?)
2016-08-25, 18:21
92 posts

Aug 2007
Just make sure GFX has a DP.

If the mainboard has 4 RAM slots then you can go with 2x4GB and add more later when needed.

Dunno how hybrid drive work but with 8GB only it can be pretty limiting. I run a Debian on a 32GB SSD and it takes around 16GB (I keep some basic data and QW there of course).

I wouldn't buy a prebuild system like this, elements can be non-standard and hard to upgrade/change.
2016-08-25, 19:12
137 posts

Sep 2006
Korni wrote:
Just make sure GFX has a DP.

If the mainboard has 4 RAM slots then you can go with 2x4GB and add more later when needed.

Dunno how hybrid drive work but with 8GB only it can be pretty limiting. I run a Debian on a 32GB SSD and it takes around 16GB (I keep some basic data and QW there of course).

I wouldn't buy a prebuild system like this, elements can be non-standard and hard to upgrade/change.

Ok, thank you!

Then ill go for a standard ssd! :-)

Other then geforce with dp, would the more expensive cards benefit qw in any way?

And i will probably put it together myself, want really silent and good fans and no bling. Dont want to pay to get windows included either, if not any ready built that meets the specs is cheaper which i doubt..

Most likely ill go to the store and tell them what parts you guys says important and let them help me pick the rest.
2016-08-25, 20:06
92 posts

Aug 2007
Not much I guess. You can consider a 750Ti, GTX950 or RX460, they aren't much more expensive but offer visibly more performance. Though difference in QW in FPS will be probably 0 as CPU will be a limiting factor (with over 1000 FPS).

Don't forget about a decent PSU. ~500W with 80 Plus cert should be ok.
2016-08-26, 13:00
245 posts

Jan 2006
Korni wrote:
Not much I guess. You can consider a 750Ti, GTX950 or RX460, they aren't much more expensive but offer visibly more performance. Though difference in QW in FPS will be probably 0 as CPU will be a limiting factor (with over 1000 FPS).

Stay Away from AMD/ATI in Linux - they're utter crap in qw.
2016-08-26, 15:26
92 posts

Aug 2007
I have a 5670 and 7770 in one machine, both do fine. Dunno maybe newer ones are bad? In QW 5670 is marginally faster even. About the same FPS both on Linux and Windows.
I also have a machine with GTX950. QW under Linux is visibly slower than in Windows, which just dissapointed me as many people say that Nvidia drivers for linux are so much better than AMD ones. Besides longer HW support I somehow don't notice it.
2016-08-26, 15:56
137 posts

Sep 2006
Yea, good warning!

Sadly i already have experience with both amd and ati. Wont go there ever again, atleast not ati, and i would like those hours spend tweaking without success back again. Sigh..
Gueass ive gotten the info i need regarding hardware for now, thanks for all the help! :-)

I might go for a gtx 970 or something like that if i would want to get an oculus later. Will atleast make sure theres a dp and its nvidia!
The 24" 144hz screen mentioned.
Probably 16gb ram.
A high quality psu, had a couple failing before destroying alot.. Will look for one with that cert 80.
Intel something, my last amd was pretty shitty for mame aswell... Ill fo for some mid-range.

Ill try have the store to help me pick the rest!

Looking forward to idling some hours on a server waiting to get raped from someone who will feel its boring and jawn-quits on me! :-)
Or waiting for a mix for 2h when asked to and then get switched coz some star-nerd to many shows up when there is 7/8.
Ehehe ;-)

Hmm, guess i might get a good answer here so ill give it a go instead of searching first; any recomendations which linux to try?

Is there some more standard one thats easier to find instructions for when needed?

Ye, one more.. :-> Is i watercooling much more efficient/silent? That mame emulator can get the cpu going pretty good.

Sry for the spelling and bad grammer.
2016-08-26, 16:16
137 posts

Sep 2006
Korni wrote:
I have a 5670 and 7770 in one machine, both do fine. Dunno maybe newer ones are bad? In QW 5670 is marginally faster even. About the same FPS both on Linux and Windows.
I also have a machine with GTX950. QW under Linux is visibly slower than in Windows, which just dissapointed me as many people say that Nvidia drivers for linux are so much better than AMD ones. Besides longer HW support I somehow don't notice it.

I missed this reply before i posted previous.

Does "visibly slower" litterally meen not as smooth?
2016-08-26, 19:43
92 posts

Aug 2007
hoder wrote:

It's smooth, just slower when you look at FPS.

Windows - 2100 FPS
Linux - 1600 FPS

4on4 demo from 2002.

With i3-4160 and GTX950.

I used to run MAME years ago on much slower HW that I currently use and it was nice. When it wasn't and it was a neogeo game i just used gngeo which was much faster. I know that current MAME is more demanding, but well, imho it should run fast as fuck .

Things can be pretty quiet with air cooling. Even at high load. Thing I hear the most is the HDD (30dBA according to specs), so I turn it off it at linux startup, it turns on automaticly when I access it.

"Which linux to try?"

Ughhh... I wish you luck.

Try Debian and install bunsenlabs packages.

I tried various and it was a long and not really nice road until I found openbox and spend time to configure it along with many other things. I could probably use any Linux as long as I could copy my settings there.
2016-08-26, 20:00
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
raket wrote:
Korni wrote:

Stay Away from AMD/ATI in Linux - they're utter crap in qw.

Working on changing this. Already got over 100% perf boost, still a long way to go though.
2016-08-27, 02:43
82 posts

Jul 2009
Heh, Korni, I am on Debian+Openbox too.
2016-08-30, 22:19
137 posts

Sep 2006
Korni wrote:
hoder wrote:

It's smooth, just slower when you look at FPS.

Windows - 2100 FPS
Linux - 1600 FPS

4on4 demo from 2002.

With i3-4160 and GTX950.

I used to run MAME years ago on much slower HW that I currently use and it was nice. When it wasn't and it was a neogeo game i just used gngeo which was much faster. I know that current MAME is more demanding, but well, imho it should run fast as fuck .

Things can be pretty quiet with air cooling. Even at high load. Thing I hear the most is the HDD (30dBA according to specs), so I turn it off it at linux startup, it turns on automaticly when I access it.

"Which linux to try?"

Ughhh... I wish you luck.

Try Debian and install bunsenlabs packages.

I tried various and it was a long and not really nice road until I found openbox and spend time to configure it along with many other things. I could probably use any Linux as long as I could copy my settings there.

Nice info! Appreciated! Thank you! :-)

Wrote a long answer when the phone died on me but it wasnt so important as annoying..

Im slowly picking parts to order, any brand there someone thinks i should avoid?
Those "vga coolers", do i need one? Havent got one on the list yet. And that "cooling kit" for the ssd, is that somerhing i should have?

Atm this is on my list, i think it should be enough if ill get an oculus later on, and hopefully last a while..

ASUS GeForce GTX 970 4GB TURBO OC (TURBO-GTX970...

ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming - ATX / Z170

Arctic Silver 5 Cooling paste (3,5 gram)

Corsair PowerSupply (PSU) RM550 550W 80 Plus Gold

Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB (2x8GB) / 3000...

Intel Core i5-6600K - 4 trådar / 3,5GHz (3,9 Gh...

Lian Li BZ-502A Cooling Kit - Silver

Noctua NF-A14 PWM 140mm Chassifläkt

Phanteks Enthoo Pro - (no PSU)

Samsung SSD 850 EVO SSD 250GB (MZ-75E250B/EU)

Be quite Pure rock cpu cooler

(Something like 1160 euro so far i think)
2016-08-31, 10:58
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
the main thing, for qw, is to make sure you get an intel cpu... amd sucks for single core performance and creates a bottle next for high FPS in QW
2016-08-31, 17:39
73 posts

Oct 2010
Some people (at ixbt.com) tell that high frequency i3 could have better single thread perfomance than i5/i7.
Old ati 5770 is TWICE faster in qw than ati 260.
But choosing this makes fucking good universal comp into QW-Dedicated monster.. choose your side!)
2016-08-31, 18:33
92 posts

Aug 2007
hoder wrote:
Those "vga coolers", do i need one? Havent got one on the list yet. And that "cooling kit" for the ssd, is that somerhing i should have?

Probably not.
2016-09-01, 01:16
137 posts

Sep 2006
Thank you all for helping me out! :-)

Hope see you ingame in a while!
  23 posts on 1 page  1