User panel stuff on forum
  1 post on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2016-01-29, 04:18
4 posts

Jan 2016
I have ways to play quake, that make it more fun, because i still love it, both 1 and 2, but i get bored with just playing it to finish after all these years, sometimes i do speed runs, sometimes i try to time myself on how fast i can find each secret within the level, or sometimes i play challenges i make up. One of them is a challenge i like to call the Tactical Quake Challenge. The goal is to complete the game with the most points if your are playing with multiple people, or just complete the game without quitting if you are playing alone. Each player has the choice of easy mode, medium mode, or hard mode. Easy mode you start with 200 points and you have less point loss penalties. You lose points for dying, and using life lines. You have 2 life lines, one is a checkpoint, you may choose after you clear a room to make that a new checkpoint by quick saving. In easy it loses you 5 points, in medium 10, and hard 15. The second life line is the choice to keep playing if you take damage by sources other than enemy attack. That means lava, slime, nails, spikes, lava embers, falling damage, or drowning damage, if you choose to take a point mulligan, you will lose the points but continue playing to the end. You may choose to start over as well for no points lost. In easy it's a 1 point loss, in medium a 5 point loss, and hard a 10 point loss. Taking enemy damage is an instant loss of the level and you have to restart either at the beginning or your new starting point. You must never let your points drop to zero at anytime, if you do, it's an instant loss and game over, and you have to start over back to the first episode. Sounds hard as hell, but i love a challenge. To win the challenge, you have to have no less than 100 net points at the end of the game. Meaning your overall score per episode. You can earn points as well by killing every monster and finding every secret, and finding trick jumps. For all monsters killed, you get a 15 point bonus, for every secret found you get a 25 point bonus. For finding a trick jump you get a 2 point bonus at the time of the trick jump rather than counting it at the end of the level. You start out with one free check point without loss of points per level, use it wisely. That's all, i find it a fun way to add a sense of score and challenge to an oldy but goody game. This Challenge can be done on your own as well if you wish. You can also play without points, and just keep restarting when you take damage until you rage quit lol.

The second game type i like to play is hide and seek. I play this with my brother all the time. We make it a point system game as well. We start with the hub map and go through every episode. We turn on god mode in order to hide in better places. The seeker goes to the start of the map and counts to 20, the hider does just that lol, hides. But to make it interesting we have some special rules, the hider gets to use god mode to hide in water areas and the seeker gets to use god mode only when seeking in water. We score points based on how fast we found the person. loss of 5 points per minute on the timer at the end of the round. Each round per level one person will hide, another person will seek, then we switch, then we score our points and go on to the next map. Really fun

The third game type i like to do is treasure hunt, or Easter egg hunt. This only works in quake 2, we use give all cheat, and we hide items in the map by dropping them via drop item key. We track how many items are hidden per section, and the person then gets to seek. You may give hints if you want. We only do this in person one one computer, as it's easier to have one person leave the room while the other hides the items. This one is also pretty fun, you can find some interesting hiding spots that are very easy to access as long as you know how to trick jump or rocket jump.

The third game is a race. We will race in cooperative to get to the end. This one is really fun and gets interesting because you can kill each other to gain an advantage hahaha. We also do a friendly cooperative, but with a twist, we have lives, once we are out of lives, we stay out until the next map.

Another Challenge is the shotgun only challenge, you can do this in 2 ways. Berserker mode where you start with 300 lp and 200 shells, or standard mode which is more difficult. In this challenge you must complete the game with only a shotgun. There is easy and hard mode. For easy mode you may use a rocket launcher/grenade launcher to frag only zombies. In hard mode, you may only knock them down, but must kill every other monster. This one is the hardest challenge in my opinion.

Does anyone else have challenges or unique ways to play quake or quake 2? Please share them i think that would be a fun topic and i am very interested to hear about them. Hope to hear from you all.
This door is opened elsewhere
  1 post on 1 page  1