User panel stuff on forum
  22 posts on 1 page  1
Client Talk
2015-11-09, 00:02
News Writer
23 posts

Oct 2015
Recently, I've been working on a fun-project called "classicQ".

It pursues the following goals:

1. Reproducing the "classic" QuakeWorld appearance as much as possible
2. Commemorate to upcoming 20th anniversary of Quake by creating something new-ish
3. Making Fodquake a bit more accessible to new users

I know that not everyone will appreciate this initiative as ezQuake is pretty much the standard client. However, I see often people ask me to setup Quake for them so I made this package with a complete installation guide

http://classicq.github.io/

Please let me know what you think!
zin
2015-11-09, 08:28
Administrator
114 posts

Sep 2013
Cool initiative. Just make it easier to install. Single-click thingy, like nQuake does, would be nice to have I guess.
play.quake1.pl
2015-11-09, 10:23
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
This is a cool idea...

If FodQuake had the sb_findroutes 1 capabilities that ezQuake has then I would almost definitely switch...
2015-11-12, 23:23
News Writer
23 posts

Oct 2015
2015-11-13, 00:09
News Writer
221 posts

Jan 2013
When I made an easy-to-install zip-file of my Quake-dir for some friends, and I added an echo at the bottom of config, with some basic info. Might be an idea, I dunno.

Edit: This doesn't display correctly, but you get the idea, I guess.

echo
echo " ___________________________________________________________"
echo "| |"
echo "| |"
echo "| WEB |"
echo "| |"
echo "| quakeworld.nu - news, forum, links |"
echo "| |"
echo "| wiki.quakeworld.nu - official qw wiki |"
echo "| |"
echo "| eql.quakeworld.nu - european quake league |"
echo "| |"
echo "| |"
echo "| WHERE TO PLAY? |"
echo "| |"
echo "| qtv.quakeworld.nu |"
echo "| |"
echo "| quakeservers.net/quakeworld/servers/pl=1/ |"
echo "| |"
echo "| |"
echo "| SOME SERVERS |"
echo "| |"
echo "| q.wvv.se:27500 - fragfest! |"
echo "| |"
echo "| qw.foppa.dk:27501-27505 - 1on1, 2on2, 4on4 |"
echo "| |"
echo "| troopers.fi:28001-28005 - 1on1, 2on2, 4on4 |"
echo "| |"
echo "| |"
echo "| GRAPHICS |"
echo "| |"
echo "| for lego-quake, type exec lego |"
echo "| |"
echo "| for max graphics, type exec eyecandy |"
echo "| |"
echo "| |"
echo "|___________________________________________________________|"
echo

(As you understand, I also added a lego.cfg and eyecandy.cfg file in their QW dir.)
2016-03-05, 14:46
News Writer
105 posts

Sep 2014
First of all it looks fantastic, well done.

Only issue I had with it is how much it jitters in online play, as if I've got consistent mild packet loss or something.
2016-04-27, 14:47
News Writer
23 posts

Oct 2015
By default your FPS is limited to 159 by cl_maxfps 159 setting.
Just set it to a higher number, for example cl_maxfps 1001, it will be much smoother.
zin
2016-07-12, 21:32
805 posts

Mar 2006
Since your goal is "to commemorate the 20th anniversary of Quake", may I suggest that you host a booth in the upcoming QExpo 2016?

Btw.: Nice work!
https://tinyurl.com/qwbrasil - QuakeFiles
2018-02-23, 23:00
News Writer
23 posts

Oct 2015
I've just updated classicQ to the latest Fodquake version =)
You can download it from the official site http://classicq.github.io/
or just directly from here: http://github.com/classicQ/classicQ.github.io/releases/latest

it should also run more smoothly by default than the previous version
zin
2018-02-23, 23:29
65 posts

Apr 2017
Nice Contribution Mission!
2018-02-26, 10:09
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
was the weird bobbing up and down in fodquake on the stairs ever fixed? such a slick client, only that one problem stopped me from using it.
2018-02-26, 15:56
News Writer
23 posts

Oct 2015
For me it seems completely normal but I don't have any ezQuake to compare.
Basically there is a "jump" for each stair, so it's not like walking on a flat ramp or something...

I think it was always just like that since the very beginning of QWCL.
zin
2018-02-28, 02:41
16 posts

Dec 2017
A project after my own heart. My QW setup these days is based around using GL but with almost exclusively (tweaked*) 8 bit stuff for faithfulness

Can you provide some screenshots of typical DM conditions? Like a 4on4 DM3 demo or something?

DB: Can you show a video? I have a few suspicions of what you might mean but I don't want to detail them all

* Different scaled, colour shifted that kinda thing, like slightly bigger nails, classic LG model with the white pixels fixed and transverse bolt object removed.
2018-03-02, 05:49
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
mission wrote:
Basically there is a "jump" for each stair, so it's not like walking on a flat ramp or something...

I think it was always just like that since the very beginning of QWCL.

Yes that is exactly what it is however I am fairly certain that this never happened in qwcl.
2018-03-02, 18:22
News Writer
23 posts

Oct 2015
jawn wrote:

Can you provide some screenshots of typical DM conditions? Like a 4on4 DM3 demo or something?

I can make some screenshots but also a video! Do you guys have any awesome 4on4 demo that we could use?
zin
2018-03-03, 11:59
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
i downloaded qwcl2.30 and tested going up and down the stairs and there _is_ a slight jumping motion however it is far more closer to a smooth ramp feeling than the massive bobbing you get with FodQuake. i then compared qwcl2.30 vs ezquake and whilst ezquake is a shitload smoother, it has the same, very mild, effect as qwcl. I would suspect the smoothness is simply because it is 1920x1080@1155fps vs 640x480@72fps

the perfect spot to test this is the quad stairs on dm4 going up them facing both forward and strafing right up them

it would be great to get this fixed as fodquake is a super nice feeling client apart from this one issue. i fully converted my config over about a year ago and had to stop using it for this one particular issue
2018-03-04, 09:42
News Writer
23 posts

Oct 2015
dirtbox, I have just found the command responsible for the effect you are looking for.
Please try change from cl_nopred 0 to cl_nopred 1
However, with this setting Fodquake appears to be running less smoothly
I'm not sure if it's something that can be further improved...
zin
2018-03-04, 17:10
715 posts

May 2006
stop whining dirtbox!
---Where can you see lions? Only in kenya! Come to kenya we've got lions.
2018-03-05, 07:20
16 posts

Dec 2017
mission wrote:
jawn wrote:

I can make some screenshots but also a video! Do you guys have any awesome 4on4 demo that we could use?

http://fdemos.quakeworld.nu

I recommend the all star games ("666 vs Star" or anything between like Slackers, TVS, Suddendeath, Paramedics

If you want demos from beyond about 7 years ago, there's also http://demos.igmdb.org/ChallengeTV/demostorage/Quakeworld/
2018-03-05, 15:35
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
molgrum wrote:
stop whining dirtbox!

Oh i am sorry, i must have gotten confused between reporting a bug and whining. Is the bug report section of github for cspree called the whining section?

Just such a shame for someone to put all this effort in to a quake project only for no one to use it.
2018-03-05, 15:38
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
mission wrote:
dirtbox, I have just found the command responsible for the effect you are looking for.
Please try change from cl_nopred 0 to cl_nopred 1
However, with this setting Fodquake appears to be running less smoothly
I'm not sure if it's something that can be further improved...

I'll try it, thanks mission.

btw, what exactly is the download link for ClassicQ? I only see links on github for the source? Not a release?

edit: confirmed, cl_nopred is definitely the cause however changing the setting makes it unplayable entirely. clearly a bug. would be great to have this fixed. i wasn't able to fix the github for fodquake... who is maintaining the code now (who did the v0.4 updates?
2018-03-05, 18:40
News Writer
23 posts

Oct 2015
dirtbox wrote:
confirmed, cl_nopred is definitely the cause however changing the setting makes it unplayable entirely. clearly a bug. would be great to have this fixed. i wasn't able to fix the github for fodquake... who is maintaining the code now (who did the v0.4 updates?

The download link is there, and it's under the "Source code" link just as the instruction says It contains all the binaries (+source code) and there is no need to compile anything.

I'm not 100% sure who did the latest updates, but I think people involved are usually Bigfoot, Dimman, Jogi, Tuna and Korni :-) They seem to be present on Discord too...

The latest source-code is already included in classicQ, but the original git is under git://tunkki.dk/fodquake - they don't have a "proper" GitHub repository. I simply cloned the latest updates and included with classicQ
zin
  22 posts on 1 page  1