User panel stuff on forum
  9 posts on 1 page  1
Server Talk
2014-12-29, 22:04
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Is there anyone else besides me who only get the "Watch now" button on QTV page working in Chrome for a subset of the servers? More specifically it only seems to work for servers connected to Froschroom QTV and Besmella QTV. I know people have reported similar problems in the past but it always worked for me as i used Firefox before, however switching to Chrome the majority of the servers will just show a text with the QTV port address when clicking the watch link.

Tried comparing QTV versions to see if perhaps a change was introduced at some point but that theory didn't seem to hold up (or there may be some weird branching going on). Does anyone know what the reason might be?
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2014-12-30, 00:04
212 posts

Apr 2006
Neither the 'watch now' nor 'play' button work for me in Chrome. They never did for me. I always do 'save link as...' and then double click on watch.qtv on the desktop manually. I don't know if there's a fix for Chrome but I'd also be interested to find that out!
2014-12-30, 00:15
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
The "Play" button you can probably get to work by opening ezQuake and executing the register_qwurl_protocol command as i detailed in this post.

Another thing i noticed for the "Watch" button is that if i right-click it and choose "Save as" for the servers that don't work to just left-click straight on the button on, the game will actually launch automatically once i saved the file. Really weird.

Edit: i guess Bogojokers suggestion, in the linked thread above, to add (or rather change to) a qw:// link also for the watch links would probably solve this issue on a general level?
2014-12-30, 17:48
172 posts

Sep 2013
It seems weird that we are using two different aspects of launching ezquake. One using a qtv file (needs registered file extension handler, file needs to be downloaded, server sometimes doesn't send a qtv file) and one that uses a qw:// (needs a registered handler). qw:// can support join, observe, qtvplay, and probably even more.

For Windows users, it looks like just running "/register_qwurl_protocol" in ezquake will do the work to register a qw:// URL handler.

For non-Windows users, a qw:// URL handler should be easy to create. I made one on OS X that just launches my ezquake with command line arguments to immediately execute a "/qwurl" command. For example:

ezquake +qwurl qw://3@quakeworld.fi:28000/qtvplay
2014-12-30, 20:40
142 posts

Jul 2013
BogoJoker wrote:
It seems weird that we are using two different aspects of launching ezquake. One using a qtv file (needs registered file extension handler, file needs to be downloaded, server sometimes doesn't send a qtv file) and one that uses a qw:// (needs a registered handler). qw:// can support join, observe, qtvplay, and probably even more.

For Windows users, it looks like just running "/register_qwurl_protocol" in ezquake will do the work to register a qw:// URL handler.

For non-Windows users, a qw:// URL handler should be easy to create. I made one on OS X that just launches my ezquake with command line arguments to immediately execute a "/qwurl" command. For example:

ezquake +qwurl qw://3@quakeworld.fi:28000/qtvplay

Classic Bojay.
2014-12-30, 20:52
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
ag|sane wrote:
Classic Bojay.

Please, see forum rule §5.
2015-01-07, 00:07
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Atrophy acted quick on this and has now changed the watch link to also use the qw:// protocol which means that both "Watch" and "Play" works for the most popular browsers after you've run the command register_qwurl_protocol in ezQuake.

I've tested both buttons with Firefox, Explorer and Chrome. I've also verified that it works with the nQuake pack after having run the command above. Would be cool if the qw:// protocol registration could be done automatically with the nQuake pack.

No idea if this works on Linux tho?
2015-01-07, 03:46
172 posts

Sep 2013
Ake Vader wrote:
Atrophy acted quick on this and has now changed the watch link to also use the qw:// protocol which means that both "Watch" and "Play" works for the most popular browsers after you've run the command register_qwurl_protocol in ezQuake.

Awesome! It is working great for me now!

Ake Vader wrote:
No idea if this works on Linux tho?

register_qwurl_protocol is only implemented for Windows:
https://github.com/ezQuake/ezquake-source/blob/master/cl_main.c#L1939-L1941

If you are on linux you will likely need to roll your own URL handler for "qw://". Also, you can submit patches to ezquake.
2017-02-26, 20:54
57 posts

Oct 2015
How to get it to work under Arch Linux running Xfce on 2/26/2017:

1) Create a new .desktop entry for ezquake.
nano ~/.local/share/applications/ qw-url-handler.desktop
changed the bolded part to the path of your ezquake shell script. You might have to make one. make sure it's executeable (chmod + /path/to/ezquake.sh)

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=Ezquake URL handler
GenericName=Handles qw:// protocol links from browsers
Comment=Browse Uses ezquake to open qw:// urls.
Keywords=qtv,qw://;
Categories=quakeworld;qtv;
Exec=/home/foogs/Quake/foogs-xfce-quake-launcher.sh "%U"
Icon=
Path=
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=false

2) Edit our mimeapps.list to contain the new .desktop entry we created.
nano ~/.config/mimeapps.list
Put the below code under "[Added Associations]". Don't change anything else on this file or else youll lose your filetype associations for your user.

x-scheme-handler/qw=qw-url-handler.desktop;

3) Update your mime database
update-mime-database ~/.local/share/mime

4) add this bit of code courtesy of ciscon to your quakeworld launcher script:

args="$*"

if [ $(echo $args|grep -c 'qw://') -gt 0 ];then
newargs=$(echo "$args"|awk -F'qw://' '{print $2}')
args="+qtvplay $newargs"
fi

/home/foogs/Quake/ezquake-linux-x86_64 "$args"

5) Restart chrome and try clicking on a "Watch" link. You should get this:

http://i.imgur.com/7k3xEGK.png

Remember my choice for xdg-open links <--- check this if you dont want this Open dialogue happening every time.
Click on "Open xdg-open" and it should launch your ezquake client and open the stream
  9 posts on 1 page  1