User panel stuff on forum
  3 posts on 1 page  1
Server Talk
2006-05-04, 11:03
28 posts

May 2006
Ok to start with. im a fucking noob at this!

I have read a lot of strings in this forum but im probobly to dumb to understand.
I'm looking for some ( alot ) of help to start a ffa server. I have downloaded mdsv and fodffa, but i dont even know were to put it. I managed to start mdsv and connect to it but i dont know how to exec fodffa.....some people say its easy to use but hey...im a stupid fuck :/

so the thing im asking for is: I need help with everything..

if someone would like to help me i will be most grateful

det är inte lätt när det är svårt
/ frågan är fri
2006-05-05, 05:05
113 posts

Apr 2006
wabbit wrote:
I'm looking for some ( alot ) of help to start a ffa server. I have downloaded mdsv and fodffa, but i dont even know were to put it. I managed to start mdsv and connect to it but i dont know how to exec fodffa.....some people say its easy to use but hey...im a stupid fuck :/

mvdsv +gamedir fodffa

should do it.

qwserver (directory)
--- fodffa (directory)
--- mvdsv

put the fodffa dir in the same dir as the mvdsv binary and then it should work. I haven't run fodffa myself but you should be able to put the maps in the fodffa/maps directory and it should work.

Quote:
det är inte lätt när det är svårt

Peppe stop faking in the forums

And please don't make double posts, that's just annoying for everyone =(
biomass
2006-05-05, 19:17
810 posts

Jan 1970
wabbit wrote:
Ok to start with. im a fucking noob at this!

I have read a lot of strings in this forum but im probobly to dumb to understand.

OK, first off, which platform are you running the server on?

First off you need to compile the thing. If you're running on Windows, you probably don't have a compiler, so if you're on Windows, grab a binary from here and place it inside quake/fodffa/. Next up you need a server config (yes, I know, I should ship an example with FodFFA ), get it here
and place it inside quake/fodffa as well. Edit the server hostname and the MOTD if you like. Next up you need to choose a map cycle. I have a script to create the configuration for this, but it really requires some Unix machine. If you're on Windows, you have to do this by hand. For each map, you put a line in quake/fodffa/maps.cfg like this:
Quote:
localinfo "dm2" "dm4"
localinfo "dm4" "ztndm3"
localinfo "ztndm3" "dm2"

Means that after dm2, dm4 will be on. After dm4, it will be ztndm3. And to end the cycle (this thing must loop), you choose that after ztndm3, dm2 will be on.

Then you put a map command in startmap.cfg selecting which map is to be the first. Like this:
Quote:
map dm2

If you are running this on an Unix machine, or have access to one, get this. It's a shell script, and you run it something like this (inside the Quake directory, it will write files to fodffa/)
Quote:
./updatemappool dm2 dm4 ztndm3

And it will create maps.cfg and startmap.cfg for you.

Then when you're done, you run mvdsv +gamedir fodffa (with ./ in front if you're on Unix)

wabbit wrote:
so the thing im asking for is: I need help with everything..

Hope the above helps
Else just keep asking
  3 posts on 1 page  1