1265 posts

Jan 2006
Browsing Twitch i found this
http://www.twitch.tv/kovaak_of_qw/c/3845453

A mouse accel "fix" program by povohat and others
Moufiltr with QL Accel
http://accel.drok-radnik.com/

May be useful to someone
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2014-11-20, 08:32
202 posts

Dec 2006
mushi wrote:

Moufiltr with QL Accel

May be useful to someone

Since QW is open source, why not just replace the whole accel code block with

if (m_accel.value) {
float accelsens = sensitivity.value;
float mousespeed = (sqrt (mx * mx + my * my)) / (1000.0f * (float) cls.trueframetime);
mousespeed -= m_accel_offset.value;
if (mousespeed > 0) {
mousespeed *= m_accel.value;
if (m_accel_power.value > 1)
accelsens += exp((m_accel_power.value - 1) * log(mousespeed));
else
accelsens = 1;
}
if (m_accel_senscap.value > 0 && accelsens > m_accel_senscap.value)
accelsens = m_accel_senscap.value;
mouse_x *= accelsens;
mouse_y *= accelsens;
} else {
mouse_x *= sensitivity.value;
mouse_y *= sensitivity.value;
}

and add the appropriate cvars that are referenced
2015-11-24, 22:47
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
dunno.

should we?
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2015-11-24, 22:59
News Writer
221 posts

Jan 2013
Is mouse acceleration a problem? Turn off enhanced pointer precision in Windows? Use Ezquake 3.0, which has raw input?
2015-11-25, 11:29
202 posts

Dec 2006
The discussion is about implementing more comprehensive mouse acceleration variables, such as the ones from Quake Live, for people who utilise mouse acceleration.
2015-11-25, 12:23
News Writer
221 posts

Jan 2013
povohat wrote:
The discussion is about implementing more comprehensive mouse acceleration variables, such as the ones from Quake Live, for people who utilise mouse acceleration.

Oh.
2015-11-30, 15:51
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
2015-12-01, 14:03
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
I will look into implementing this in ezQ 3! It has been on the TODO list for a while and it's rather trivial to implement.

It will most likely be implemented as m_accel 2 so we don't screw things up for ppl using 1.
2016-01-21, 00:36
280 posts

Jan 2015
dimman wrote:
I will look into implementing this in ezQ 3! It has been on the TODO list for a while and it's rather trivial to implement.

It will most likely be implemented as m_accel 2 so we don't screw things up for ppl using 1.

I'd suggest m_povohat 0/1 to enable de feature and m_phxxxxx for the other cvars.
dev
2016-01-21, 03:53
202 posts

Dec 2006
haha, im flattered but that is not a very useful cvar name
2016-01-21, 11:06
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
I love this.
I haven't been playing qw lately, but the advantages of using it are evident. Now I understand how those pro Q3/Qlive players can move fast and be very accurate with the railgun at the same time.

Every QW client should have povo's code implemented. with the same variable names please
2016-01-21, 15:27
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
povohat wrote:
mushi wrote:

Moufiltr with QL Accel

May be useful to someone

Since QW is open source, why not just replace the whole accel code block with

if (m_accel.value) {
float accelsens = sensitivity.value;
float mousespeed = (sqrt (mx * mx + my * my)) / (1000.0f * (float) cls.trueframetime);
mousespeed -= m_accel_offset.value;
if (mousespeed > 0) {
mousespeed *= m_accel.value;
if (m_accel_power.value > 1)
accelsens += exp((m_accel_power.value - 1) * log(mousespeed));
else
accelsens = 1;
}
if (m_accel_senscap.value > 0 && accelsens > m_accel_senscap.value)
accelsens = m_accel_senscap.value;
mouse_x *= accelsens;
mouse_y *= accelsens;
} else {
mouse_x *= sensitivity.value;
mouse_y *= sensitivity.value;
}

and add the appropriate cvars that are referenced

Think you could provide me with some input on good default values for m_accel_power, m_accel_senscap and others? If it's possible to get decent values by autocalculating based on sensitivty or equivalent there's support for that in the client, I just need a proper formula and I'll add it to ezQuake. If it's better with static values I'll add those, but just to let you know that default value could be auto calculated if applicable

Also I see that the value of m_accel is used in calculations; I had plans on doing this acceleration m_accel 2 but I might have to rethink that and actually use another cvar (or just scrap the old accel since it's inferior). I guess people actually set this one to different values to tweak?

Last thing; Think you could provide me with a good explanation of all cvars? Then I can integrate this and the documentation for it at the same time, hopefully tonight. Docs are now builtin the client so no need to keep track of external doc pk3 files btw.
2016-01-22, 08:31
202 posts

Dec 2006
I would recommend these defaults
m_accel_offset 0
m_accel_power 2
m_accel_senscap 0

At these values, m_accel should behave the same as the current implementation. Here's an explanation of the cvars (adapted from the docs I wrote for the driver I released a few years ago)

Quote:
m_accel (default 0):
Values >0 will amplify mouse movement proportional to velocity. Small values have great effect. A lot of good Quake Live players use around the 0.1-0.2 mark, but this depends on your mouse CPI and polling rate.

m_accel_power (default 2):
Values 1 or below are dumb. 2 is linear and the default. 99% of accel users use this. Above 2 begins to amplify exponentially and you will get more acceleration at higher velocities. Great if you want low accel for slow movements, and high accel for fast movements. Good in combination with a sensitivity cap.

m_accel_senscap (default 0):
Sets an upper limit on the amplified mouse movement. Great for tuning acceleration around lower velocities while still remaining in control of fast motion such as flicking.

m_accel_offset (default 0):
Acceleration will not be active until the mouse movement exceeds this speed (counts per millisecond). Negative values are supported, which has the effect of causing higher rates of acceleration to happen at lower velocities.
2016-01-22, 14:53
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
thank you so much on this short description.
KovaaK should add those descriptions on the GUI he developed... i literally spent 30+ minutes just reading his page on the blog describing what each cvar does - this description makes things so much simpler.
Thanks again!

Btw I can't thank you enough on this. The feel of the mouse is excellent now, either on the desktop or in any game that i play. (ive been playing some Mechwarrior online)
2016-01-22, 22:08
459 posts

Mar 2008
I tested this briefly, and my first impression is that this hasn't too much going for it in QW. Specially hitting with rockets proved to be a pain in the ass.

It might need more testing, or it might suit other people better than me, but my belief is that a simple sens reduction script while shafting is a better solution if you need that sort of thing.
2016-01-23, 10:54
280 posts

Jan 2015
Rikoll wrote:
I tested this briefly, and my first impression is that this hasn't too much going for it in QW. Specially hitting with rockets proved to be a pain in the ass.

It might need more testing, or it might suit other people better than me, but my belief is that a simple sens reduction script while shafting is a better solution if you need that sort of thing.

I feel quite the opposite. It does take a while to get used to mid-range aiming, especially for rockets, and it also requires some adjustment to your muscle memory for bunny hopping and trick jumps.

In the other hand, the mid-long range aiming feels so much better for me. I'm using it for three days and it feels like i should always have used.
dev
2016-02-02, 21:51
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
Ok, it's now integrated into ezQuake 3.0. Feel free to grab the source or the nightly that will be built tonight.
2016-02-11, 10:57
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
Thanks dimman!

I've set it up on ezquake last night, and Im in love.

There are no golden formulas, since the settings depend on your mouse DPI, and etc ( which KovaaK describes with detail on his blog and video), but I will share what worked for me.

old settings:
mouse dpi 2000
sensitivity 1
m_accel 0

new settings:
mouse dpi 2000
sensitivity 0.5
m_accel 0.05
m_accel_senscap 0.9

In my experience i can suggest some guidance to the values of the new settings. m_accel should be really low, sensitivity cap should be around your "old" sensitivity, and your new sensitivity around 1/2 your "old" sensitivity.
For starters you won't need to mess with any more settings.

With these settings, If your mouse is moving too fast: try decreasing m_accel
YOU NEED LATEST EZQUAKE NIGHTLY to have these new commands
  18 posts on 1 page  1