User panel stuff on forum
  7 posts on 1 page  1
Server Talk
2014-05-03, 17:38
Administrator
114 posts

Sep 2013
Hi,

I am looking for possibility to download demos knowing their number on mvdsv side, but without using ezquake or other GUI client. In other words, is there a way to do it from CLI?

I was reading at this topic: http://www.quakeworld.nu/forum/topic/4925/server-demo-download-tool but author seem to abandon idea or never posted his solution.

Also, there is a simple way to list demos for those who are using bash:
# printf "\xff\xff\xff\xff dlist" | nc -u server.addr.com 27500

Is there a similar way to redirect stream to file after creating raw connection to server and sending some magic sequence of characters?
play.quake1.pl
2014-05-03, 21:09
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
IIRC atleast chunked downloads (FTE extension that allows > 3kB/s dl speed) uses reliable packets so you'd probably need to fix support for that. (It's on top of the UDP layer). I think Spike (Spoike on IRC usually) can give you the best answer, he's at #FTE at QuakeNet IRC.

Btw, the commands shown have little to do with bash, it works with basically any shell. Netcat is a requirement though that might have to be installed. I recommend the BSD version over GNU.
2014-05-07, 09:08
Administrator
114 posts

Sep 2013
Thanks dimman. Actually I pulled together ugly combination of expect/python/conection-less commands and thin_client from jogi. Piece of code available at:
https://github.com/d2-d2/qw_demo_downloader

It is doing what i wanted (searching/downloading demos from CLI), but it's not compatible with FTE (thin_client is using old fuhquake code).

(Edited 2014-05-08, 09:03)
play.quake1.pl
2014-05-07, 11:20
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
gold!
works perfectly! good job mate.
some notes tho:
* when connecting to a server with the thinclient, i can download demos, but after a few minutes, the server kicks me printing the following:

Warning: player has abnormally high frame rates, highest FPS = 500.0, average FPS = 373.9!
player gets kicked for potential cheat
Please reboot your machine to try to get rid of the problem
Server disconnected

but i guess you already know this.

the python script works! ive found some demos of mine on dm2
good job!

im thinking of stuff to do with the thinclient while im at work ...
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2014-05-07, 11:31
Administrator
114 posts

Sep 2013
Thanks mushi for your feedback. I think the reason why server kicks you out is that you are starting client without limit on FPS to that server. Please try:

./thin_client +set cl_maxfps 30 +connect <server>

With this parameter I was able to stay on any server without interruption.
play.quake1.pl
2014-05-07, 15:54
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
im sure something like that will work. why not add that to the default configuration file?
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2014-05-07, 17:23
Administrator
114 posts

Sep 2013
Actually dd.py is using this syntax. But not a problem, i will create autoexec.cfg for thin_client too.
play.quake1.pl
  7 posts on 1 page  1