User panel stuff on forum
  147 posts on 5 pages  First page12345Last page
General Discussion
2015-11-17, 13:54
Administrator
1024 posts

Registered:
Apr 2006
andrestone wrote:
Well, "playing" is a really comprehensive concept. What I say, from my own experience: do expect to move faster and do tricks better with a mechanical keyboard.

What do you base this on? I haven't measured but I would think that buttons on my Logitech UltraX flat have a shorter distance to travel to the actuation point than my cherry mx brown keyboards, that way it would theoretically react faster to my movement...
2015-11-17, 14:53
Administrator
1256 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
dimman wrote:
Mushi: Careful with putting out numbers like that because there's "two different sizes". The TKL (tenkeyless) is just a chopped of numpad but otherwise same size, or perhaps scale. There are other keyboards out there that aren't 100% in scale, just not to confuse with the width of the keyboard basically..


That term is used. Not to do with width, but with form factor as i said.

(Edited 2015-11-17, 15:45)
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2015-11-17, 15:09
Administrator
1024 posts

Registered:
Apr 2006
mushi wrote:
dimman wrote:
Mushi: Careful with putting out numbers like that because there's "two different sizes". The TKL (tenkeyless) is just a chopped of numpad but otherwise same size, or perhaps scale. There are other keyboards out there that aren't 100% in scale, just not to confuse with the width of the keyboard basically..


That term is used. Not to do with width, but with form factor as i said.

Okey, wasn't aware that it was a "standard" Just want to make people aware that there's also keyboards out ther with smaller sized keys so they don't mistakenly buy one of these, but make sure it says like "full sized keys".
2015-11-17, 15:21
Member
279 posts

Registered:
Jan 2015
dimman wrote:

What do you base this on?


andrestone wrote:
Well, "playing" is a really comprehensive concept. What I say, from my own experience: do expect to move faster and do tricks better with a mechanical keyboard.


dimman wrote:

I haven't measured but I would think that buttons on my Logitech UltraX flat have a shorter distance to travel to the actuation point than my cherry mx brown keyboards, that way it would theoretically react faster to my movement...


I tried notebook keyboard, other normal keyboards and the mechanical cherry mx red. I think that it is a little bit more complicated than just distance to actuation point. Notebooks keyboards are the shortest possible distance and they just suck.
dev
2015-11-17, 15:26
Member
459 posts

Registered:
Mar 2008
If you don't need numpad on your keyboard, I can wholeheartedly recommend Corsair Vengeance K65. It's mechanical (don't know what color, fruit, or animal the keys are called), super sturdy built, and takes up less space on your desk. At least I always found it a bit annoying to have my arms in a slightly widened arc while playing.

Also it got no gimmicky buttons, except for mute, disable windows button button and volume up/down.

http://www.corsair.com/~/media/Corsair/Product%20Photos/keyboards/k65/k65/large/K65_C.png


By far the best keyboard I've ever had. The price is a bit steep, but nothing too frightening I think.
2015-11-17, 15:36
Administrator
1256 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
that one has cherry mx switches. just remove a key and see what color the switch is.
mine is brown
http://archive.benchmarkreviews.com/images/reviews/input_devices/RK-9000BR/Rosewill_RK_9000BR_Switch.jpg


and yep, TKL (80%) keyboards are good for fps as they are smaller
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2015-11-17, 15:50
Administrator
629 posts

Registered:
Nov 2008
I use a Filco majestouch-2 with blue switches.

After using it for a couple of years, it's still in perfect condition. However, I would not recommend blue switches for FPS gaming. It's lovely for any kind of RTS though, and typing is amazing. I can honestly sit and just spam the keys because I love the feeling and the sound is music to my ears. But, as the actuation point is lower than the release point, you really need to let go of the key completely in order to actually release the button. In the beginning, this caused me to think that I released the button, but my character would still e.g strafe left, even though it felt like I stopped strafing. Also, the loud sound that this keyboard generates could be disturbing for FPS gaming.

I love my keyboard, but I would probably recommend brown or red switches for Quake. Possibly black as well, but brown and red mainly. Although, as Mushi said, it's entirely personal what you prefer.
2015-11-17, 15:51
Member
279 posts

Registered:
Jan 2015
Rikoll wrote:
If you don't need numpad on your keyboard, I can wholeheartedly recommend Corsair Vengeance K65. It's mechanical (don't know what color, fruit, or animal the keys are called), super sturdy built, and takes up less space on your desk. At least I always found it a bit annoying to have my arms in a slightly widened arc while playing.

Also it got no gimmicky buttons, except for mute, disable windows button button and volume up/down.

http://www.corsair.com/~/media/Corsair/Product%20Photos/keyboards/k65/k65/large/K65_C.png


By far the best keyboard I've ever had. The price is a bit steep, but nothing too frightening I think.


Yeah I was about to purchase this one, but i got the full sized version with the numpad which is K70.
dev
2015-11-17, 17:35
News Writer
283 posts

Registered:
Jan 2007
Might get myself a K65 with red keys then... no need for a numpad that I can think of!

Anyone got experience with red keys vs brown keys?
2015-11-17, 18:26
Administrator
1256 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
consider black aswell

search for youtube videos on differences about the switches (sound)

red are the softest, not much force needed to activate the key
black are thoughest, more force needed to activate the key
brown are in between red and black.

LOADS of info on the interwebs about this....

edit: new cherry switch mx silent
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2015-11-17, 19:02
Administrator
1024 posts

Registered:
Apr 2006
mushi wrote:
consider black aswell

search for youtube videos on differences about the switches (sound)

red are the softest, not much force needed to activate the key
black are thoughest, more force needed to activate the key
brown are in between red and black.

LOADS of info on the interwebs about this....

edit: new cherry switch mx silent

As mushi says, just note that red and black are linear switches while brown is tactile.
2015-11-17, 19:51
News Writer
221 posts

Registered:
Jan 2013
dimman wrote:
As mushi says, just note that red and black are linear switches while brown is tactile.

So I did some research, and found my HP keyboard is so-called rubber dome. Gonna get me the one Rikoll has. I did some googling red vs. brown, and seems like red is the obvious choice when only doing fps gaming, no rts gaming or typing.

Ordered now, so watch out, div1-erlend soon coming to a server near you!
2015-11-17, 23:48
Administrator
1024 posts

Registered:
Apr 2006
erlend wrote:
dimman wrote:
As mushi says, just note that red and black are linear switches while brown is tactile.

So I did some research, and found my HP keyboard is so-called rubber dome. Gonna get me the one Rikoll has. I did some googling red vs. brown, and seems like red is the obvious choice when only doing fps gaming, no rts gaming or typing.

Ordered now, so watch out, div1-erlend soon coming to a server near you!

Nice! Feel free to kick my butt when you get it!
2015-11-18, 03:25
Administrator
629 posts

Registered:
Nov 2008
erlend wrote:
dimman wrote:
As mushi says, just note that red and black are linear switches while brown is tactile.

So I did some research, and found my HP keyboard is so-called rubber dome. Gonna get me the one Rikoll has. I did some googling red vs. brown, and seems like red is the obvious choice when only doing fps gaming, no rts gaming or typing.

Ordered now, so watch out, div1-erlend soon coming to a server near you!


Rubberdome is basically the standard non-mechanical keyboard.

The biggest difference between red and black switches is that the brown ones are tactile. Tactile keys are amazing when typing or pressing the keys a lot as they "bump" back in an amazing way. However, resting your fingers on WASD in a fps game might be easier on red switches.

I type so damn much daily and I play RTS games so blue/brown is the way to go for me as I love the tactile feeling.

Welcome to the mechanical keyboard club though! You're never leaving :-D
2015-11-19, 12:55
News Writer
904 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
Very interesting Rikoll... I was just planning on buying this keyboard (kogan is an Australian brand) because I wanted less space taken up on my small desk... and your post about the corsair has sold me on it.
AUD$77 = 51eu

The keyboard has Cherry MX Brown. I recently helped dEF build his new mega-pc and he got this insanely over the top keyboard with Cherry MX Brown and I tried it out and was quite taken with it.
2015-11-20, 10:57
Member
65 posts

Registered:
Jul 2013
Mouse (what mouse,hertz, using drivers or no drivers, dpi settings?): Logitech G402, logitech drivers
Mousepad : Razer Mantis Speed
Sensitivity settings (cm/360 , settings in qw client, settings in windows) : 20cm/360
Operating system : windows 10
Ezquake or other client? version? : ezquake 2.2
cl_maxfps : 630
cl_earlypackets :1
sys_highpriority :
Gameresolution ? 1920x1080 or other? etc :
FOV :
Monitor that you are using, and what refreshrate, using lightboost? : Benq XL2410T 120hz no lightboost
m_yaw and m_pitch settings? : 0.022
in_mouse 1/2/3 ? : 3

http://s4.postimg.org/ezdpg8frh/IMG_9178.jpg


me about to play

http://s3.postimg.org/mcf0ok63n/IMG_9186.jpg
2015-11-20, 16:20
News Writer
221 posts

Registered:
Jan 2013
Tried my Corsair MX Red yesterday. Dunno if I'll get any better at QW with it, but I won't hurt, that's for sure. It feels very responsive, no need to push hard, seems this is a winner. It's like the old keyboard had a delay on the keys that's now gone.
2015-11-21, 08:44
Member
164 posts

Registered:
Apr 2007
erlend wrote:
Tried my Corsair MX Red yesterday. Dunno if I'll get any better at QW with it, but I won't hurt, that's for sure. It feels very responsive, no need to push hard, seems this is a winner. It's like the old keyboard had a delay on the keys that's now gone.

Nice! Cant wait until i get my hands On my keyboard!!
2015-11-21, 08:44
Member
164 posts

Registered:
Apr 2007
erlend wrote:
Tried my Corsair MX Red yesterday. Dunno if I'll get any better at QW with it, but I won't hurt, that's for sure. It feels very responsive, no need to push hard, seems this is a winner. It's like the old keyboard had a delay on the keys that's now gone.

Nice! Cant wait until i get my hands On my keyboard!!
2015-11-22, 21:01
Member
175 posts

Registered:
Mar 2012
the best keboards for gaming are the filco majestuch keybords i recommend brown or red switches they are best for gaming
but they cost around 240 euros
http://www.amazon.de/Filco-Majestouch-2-Profi-Tastatur-Switches/dp/B00BM5ZO5I/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1448226050&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=filco+majestuch+brown+switch+keboard

something like that abit cheaper atm i got 2 of those but i gave one away to a friend
2015-11-23, 10:55
Administrator
629 posts

Registered:
Nov 2008
Adrenalin wrote:
the best keboards for gaming are the filco majestuch keybords i recommend brown or red switches they are best for gaming
but they cost around 240 euros
http://www.amazon.de/Filco-Majestouch-2-Profi-Tastatur-Switches/dp/B00BM5ZO5I/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1448226050&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=filco+majestuch+brown+switch+keboard

something like that abit cheaper atm i got 2 of those but i gave one away to a friend


I've got Filco Majestouch-2 with the blue switches (I wish I had bought brown switches though). It cost €100, bought from the UK. That's without shipping though.
2015-11-23, 11:16
News Writer
1267 posts

Registered:
Jun 2007
Is it mechanical keyboards ppl have when you hear them rattle about like hell in TS sometimes?
Do they make alot of sound?
Chosen
2015-11-23, 11:31
Member
152 posts

Registered:
Feb 2012
Hooraytio wrote:
Is it mechanical keyboards ppl have when you hear them rattle about like hell in TS sometimes?
Do they make alot of sound?


The majority do and it's the best sound ever
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.” (c) Johan Cruyff
2015-11-23, 11:36
News Writer
1267 posts

Registered:
Jun 2007
Might be problematic for me then since the wife is trying to sleep in the next room
Chosen
2015-11-23, 12:17
Administrator
1256 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
Hooraytio wrote:
Might be problematic for me then since the wife is trying to sleep in the next room


yep. definatly do not buy blue if you want silence =)
brown make a bit of noise, and red are quieter. You can add o-rings to the keys to make them quieter.

there's even a new cherry silent switch,
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2015-11-23, 12:27
Member
175 posts

Registered:
Mar 2012
greets andyy im using the brown switches filco 2 atm and yes its awsome DDDD 100 euro thats really good i got my brown and limited red edition from a forum. that guy bought them from japan this was like 5 or 6 years ago and i payed way to much
2015-11-23, 18:03
Member
42 posts

Registered:
Sep 2014
mushi wrote:
Hooraytio wrote:
Might be problematic for me then since the wife is trying to sleep in the next room


yep. definatly do not buy blue if you want silence =)
brown make a bit of noise, and red are quieter. You can add o-rings to the keys to make them quieter.

there's even a new cherry silent switch,


I'd recommend against using o-rings for gaming. In my experience, the friction from holding movement keys down (especially in quake) erodes the o-ring and the resulting dust gets inside the switch and makes it malfunction. The damage can be reversed by cleaning the switch using the "straw method". They work fine for typing though.
IGN: sinistral
  147 posts on 5 pages  First page12345Last page