User panel stuff on forum
  9 posts on 1 page  1
Help
2013-11-18, 01:25
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
Hey,

so here's the deal. When I stream quake through Xsplit using Game Capture, I'm guessing it gets raw data from the GPU because the game on stream turns way darker than the game when I spectate/play.

I've tried almost every gamma cmd there is in ezquake (that I could find). Worth noting is that all other games run fine and are not dark. Maybe it's because they use dx11 instead of openGL? No idea.

Anyway... I'm sure someone else has had this problem. Any ideas how to fix it?

You can see examples here: www.twitch.tv/suddendeathTV

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: The only way I got it a bit brighter was when I used the brightness within Xsplit, but it turns out really ugly and the charset gets hyper-bright etc.

EDIT2: When I put vid_hwgammacontrol to 0, my in-game brightness becomes the same as on stream (very dark). However, for some reason, on the stream, it gets slightly brighter instead, when I put it on 0. Is there any way to raise the gamma when you're in vid_hwgammacontrol 0-mode?
2013-11-18, 09:06
344 posts

Nov 2006
Not directly addressing the issue - but have you tried OBS for streaming? The Twitch community seems to move from XSplit to that one.. http://obsproject.com/

So maybe it behaves nicer with the gamma straight away.
2013-11-18, 10:22
121 posts

Mar 2006
with OBS you can set gamma level in the gamecapture options

too bad contrast option isnt there ;-(
2013-11-18, 10:55
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
I know everything about OBS, but as long as you have a paid subscription for Xsplit, it is still considered the best program of the two. Of course, the free version of xsplit is horrible and I would advise anyone to use OBS instead.

Anyway, ther'e s a gamma setting for the game capture in xsplit as well. However, since models in quake along with health/armor etc are all normal brightness, if you raise the gamma in Xsplit, they become HYPER-bright. Sure, the enviroment gets brighter which is good, but looking at numbers/text/models hurts your eyes.

More ideas please!
2013-11-18, 13:46
245 posts

Jan 2006
the short time i was streaming i was using ffmpeg to stream to twitch did you try that out?
2013-11-18, 13:51
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
I continued working on some stuff xewie started on a couple of years ago, and made a client that does "gamma rendering" in OpenGL instead of changing gamma for the whole screen.

If you can compile for yourself it's up on: http://github.com/jite/jquake (It's basically ezQuake with improvements and some stuff removed. Should work perfectly fine for streaming.)
AFAIK it compiles on Windows with MS Visual Studio 2010. You need glew.dll or glew32.dll, can't really remember which one
2013-11-18, 14:11
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
Alright so the only fix I could come up with (apart from trying Dimman's suggestion) was to try OBS instead. Now, I've paid for Xsplit so I'd rather use Xsplit, but for now I'll settle with OBS.

Anyway, the big difference between the two is that in OBS you can raise the GAMMA of a specific source, in this case the Quakeworld feed. In Xsplit however, you can only raise brightness and I have yet to find a gamma setting.

Oh well, I'll settle with this for now. Thanks for any input in the thread :-)
2013-11-18, 14:39
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
Andeh wrote:
Alright so the only fix I could come up with (apart from trying Dimman's suggestion) was to try OBS instead. Now, I've paid for Xsplit so I'd rather use Xsplit, but for now I'll settle with OBS.

Anyway, the big difference between the two is that in OBS you can raise the GAMMA of a specific source, in this case the Quakeworld feed. In Xsplit however, you can only raise brightness and I have yet to find a gamma setting.

Oh well, I'll settle with this for now. Thanks for any input in the thread :-)

Feel free to try the version I proposed. There's gotta be someone around with Visual studio, or else I could probably build it for you later today or some day this week if you want to try.
2013-11-18, 17:32
344 posts

Nov 2006
I have no idea what should actually happen when you disable hw gamma control in eZQuake. Ideally it would calculate the gamma at rendering stage side and just displays the correct result. However it may be non-function or bugged - or there just is no fall back. sw_gamma is probably not available in GL mode?

The reason why the stream is slightly brighter _may_ be due to RGB -> YUV (-> RGB) color conversion. There are different conversions between these formats. Check if you find some options that lets you switch between something like "rec 601" and "rec 709".
  9 posts on 1 page  1