User panel stuff on forum
  3 posts on 1 page  1
Client Talk
2013-10-17, 21:07
News Writer
66 posts

Sep 2013
Guys,

Is it possible to filter out some messages in ezQuake? What I mean is that I want to separate team messages, that are coming from other players (in the same team), server messages, that are coming from the server (like 5 minutes left, or xyz died, etc), and message that are coming from non-team player (like all chat messages).

I started to play qw again after a couple of year pause, and I find it quite difficult to 'filter' those messages that are important (like team_msg) from all the messages that are coming to the client. The new, colored messages are helping a bit in this, but an ideal situation would be if I could just completely hide what I don't want.

Or alternatively not hide these messages, but show them at the right side of the screen.

I guess that such thing (hide/filter message types, or show them else) is not possible with modification in the ezQuake source. And maybe it is not possible at all, as there are no difference between a team_msg and a '5 minutes remaining' type of message.

I would like to hear some opinions about this.
Would anyone else find it useful?
It is not possible, just because the way messages are displayed and created.
It is possible, but such modified client won't be approved in competitions (not that I ever going to participate in them ).
etc, etc
2013-10-17, 21:26
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
You could use the r_tracker_* messages and display the simplified frag messages separately, then disable the usual fragmessages in console with con_fragmessages 0. I guess you would still have the "5 minutes remaining" messages among the console/team message text. Another good thing to do if you haven't already is to set msg 1 which removes some of the completely redundant info from the console (for example "You picked up the rocket launcher" ).

Edit: a related feature is the r_tracker_inconsole 1 command which replaces the usual frag messages in the console with the simplified ones.

Edit2: Also the msg_filter command may be worth checking out.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2013-10-22, 17:35
News Writer
66 posts

Sep 2013
Thanks so much for the help!

I am using now the tracker to show frag related stuff, and disabled them in the normal message flow.
As you said, the 'x minutes remaining' is still there, but that is something I can live with.

For a wannabe ezQuake updater:
maybe you could consider the subject, and implement something new about the messages...
  3 posts on 1 page  1