User panel stuff on forum
  3 posts on 1 page  1
Server Talk
2013-08-24, 03:24
3 posts

Aug 2013
Hey guys! Trying to set up a quake server for my lan here. Installed nQuake linux server on a ubuntu server and got it running.

The thing is I can only connect to mvdsv servers. I cannot connect to qtv or qwfwd servers. I just followed the install steps and pointed to the id1 folder location. Did I miss something?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Lucas
2013-08-26, 08:43
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
lucasphi wrote:
Hey guys! Trying to set up a quake server for my lan here. Installed nQuake linux server on a ubuntu server and got it running.

The thing is I can only connect to mvdsv servers. I cannot connect to qtv or qwfwd servers. I just followed the install steps and pointed to the id1 folder location. Did I miss something?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Lucas

That's because you don't connect to qwfwd/qtv proxies.

qwfwd is just a re-routing proxy, which means that if you from your home computer A connects to a server C, simplified, all the traffic will flow from A <-> C. Lets say you have 100 ms ping to the server C. Now a qwfwd proxy B is a man in the middle. Lets say both you and the server ping the proxy B in 30ms your latency would only be 60ms in total.

So A--->C (100ms)
A--B--C (30+30ms)

The proxy just forwards the packets coming in.

QTV:

QTV server needs to connect to your mvdsv (game) servers. Then you just stream from the QTV-server like
/qtvplay 1@qtvserver-ip:port

There is much info to be found in the documentation and qw-dev.net.

Good luck!
2013-08-29, 16:51
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
The qwfwd proxy is used by typing the following stuff in the console.

setinfo prx proxyip:port
connect serverip:port

First line points out your proxy to be used by the ezQuake client and the second line basically connects to a game server but the client is now routed via your qwfwd proxy. This is obviously pointless when the qwfwd and game server is on the very same location - your qwfwd server will rather help players when they want to reroute to get better ping when playing on _other_ game servers than yours.

I am not sure how to actually verify that you are indeed routed via the proxy. One usually notices this by seeing that the ping went up or down compared to when not connecting via a proxy.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
  3 posts on 1 page  1