User panel stuff on forum
Index  ‹  Maps & Textures  ‹  Greybox
  12 posts on 1 page  1
Maps & Textures
2013-08-21, 11:33
14 posts

Jul 2007
I've made a Quake DM map which needs some feedback. Map is still in alpha. Textures aren't final, although I like the development textures I used and may keep a similar vibe.

Shot:

http://spawnhost.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/greybox_rmqe.jpg

Files (with Frikbot waypoints):

greybox_gb_v05.zip

GB

(Edited 2013-08-26, 12:53)
2013-08-21, 12:40
286 posts

Sep 2012
It's up here: qw.lanvegas.net:28501 . ( You should a map version at the end of the file name )
2013-08-21, 12:47
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
Nice looking shot.
When testing the map @ qw.lanvegas.net:28501, it's all pitch black. I remember this happening once before, but can't remember to "turn the light on"... Help?
Join us on discord.quake.world
2013-08-22, 08:12
14 posts

Jul 2007
bps wrote:
Nice looking shot.
When testing the map @ qw.lanvegas.net:28501, it's all pitch black. I remember this happening once before, but can't remember to "turn the light on"... Help?

Hey. This seems kinda strange to me; I tested the map in FTEQW and it seemed fine. I haven't heard of this problem before.

Thanks for putting the map on a server for testing; I'll drop by later.

Rook at quakeone.com has suggested putting a red armour in because "most maps that have shaft + RL also have RA". Might I have more opinions about this?
2013-08-22, 12:59
343 posts

Feb 2006
need some light in ezquake looks nice
ProjectQ1Q3, Frogbot Waypoint and Map Conversion Tutorial @ http://mickkn.mooo.com
2013-08-22, 14:58
223 posts

Aug 2011
golden_boy wrote:

Rook at quakeone.com has suggested putting a red armour in because "most maps that have shaft + RL also have RA". Might I have more opinions about this?

Keep in mind that finding a new map dynamic isn´t always a bad thing. Just because something old works doesn´t mean something new won´t.
carrier has arrived - twitch.tv/carapace_
2013-08-22, 19:34
14 posts

Jul 2007
New version 0.4 is up, includes a RA and you can teleport to the LG now (enter the YA tele from the back).

RA placement is pretty bold I'd say, at first I thought it would unbalance the map (which is why I didn't include it in the earlier versions) but now I don't think so.
2013-08-23, 01:46
226 posts

Jun 2006
So is this for 4v4? I don't see it working at all for duel cause of how open it is. Rocket launcher duels would be annoying cause of the distance the fighting would be done at regardless if its 1v1/2v2/4v4. The winding hallway behind ra and up to mega seems excessive. The detailing and actual architecture is really nice though. All of the entrances to ra seem to be too square (meaning all on one axis) might be a little boring. RL in RA room, that path that runs you into a wall i dunno feel deceiving like it should go somewhere. The paths aren't really that smooth in my opinion and if you try to take a creative route you might get stuck on the differing slopes (with quakeworld movement). The teles after a second glance to make the map quite a bit smaller. I feel like you have to climb a mountain to get out of RA high. Ya just in general the flow of the red armor room feels really bad. All heavily overloaded to the left side. My favorite room is the YA room. The connectivity from GA room to just about everything else about GA room seems really well thought out and actually interesting. Originally I didn't like the lift but it is unique.

It feels more like a clan arena map that an actual dm map to me. Way too open. QW doesn't have a rail gun. A lot of fights will be determined by long range sg if players are playing smart. Your architecture and detailing is pretty cool though.

Sorry for the disjointed feedback but I'm too lazy to put together an organized piece of feedback.
--irc.quakenet.org #telefrag.me and #QWL | foogsQuakeWorld Ladder
2013-08-23, 06:34
14 posts

Jul 2007
Thanks for the really useful feedback Fenris.

You make good points. I guess it shows that this map wasn't made for duel or even team deathmatch - my original intention was for it to be a simple FFA map for 3-6 people to have some harmless fun in.

The map was made in 1 day, and it wasn't really clear to me that the QW scene likes to play dedicated 1v1, 2v2, and 4v4 matches. I didn't know much about QW at all. So I guess I've learned that now.

I might make another map with 1v1 play in mind. Can you point me to some good examples of QW duel maps? You say it's too open for duel and the distances are too large - point taken.

I understand that it might be boring in a duel if all entrances to the RA room are on the same axis. Point taken.

I'm not sure I completely understand what you say about the differing slopes - it seemed to me that using the slopes, you could gain extra height and distance on your jumps, as well as extra speed if going downhill. Is this not the case in QW? Then I probably didn't consider QW physics correctly.

Which is the path that leads you into a wall? Can you describe this better so I can understand what I did wrong?

Your feedback was really helpful, thanks again. It seems another map is in order

Regarding the point about a railgun, I think I might try and make a Q3 version of this map.
2013-08-23, 22:33
226 posts

Jun 2006
golden_boy wrote:
Thanks for the really useful feedback Fenris.

You make good points. I guess it shows that this map wasn't made for duel or even team deathmatch - my original intention was for it to be a simple FFA map for 3-6 people to have some harmless fun in.

The map was made in 1 day, and it wasn't really clear to me that the QW scene likes to play dedicated 1v1, 2v2, and 4v4 matches. I didn't know much about QW at all. So I guess I've learned that now.

I might make another map with 1v1 play in mind. Can you point me to some good examples of QW duel maps? You say it's too open for duel and the distances are too large - point taken.

I understand that it might be boring in a duel if all entrances to the RA room are on the same axis. Point taken.

I'm not sure I completely understand what you say about the differing slopes - it seemed to me that using the slopes, you could gain extra height and distance on your jumps, as well as extra speed if going downhill. Is this not the case in QW? Then I probably didn't consider QW physics correctly.

Which is the path that leads you into a wall? Can you describe this better so I can understand what I did wrong?

Your feedback was really helpful, thanks again. It seems another map is in order

Regarding the point about a railgun, I think I might try and make a Q3 version of this map.

Well at the moment it seems like the QuakeWorld scene only plays TB5 (dm2 / dm4 / dm6 / ztndm3 / aerowalk) for duel. In my opinion the best map for duel in QuakeWorld is aerowalk.

The differing slopes thing is something peculiar about qw physics that you might not notice if you haven't played for at least 3 or 4 months. Your understanding of QW physics is correct but it has to do with the approach that you take the ramp you will lose speed. It's probably not a big deal but I found it annoying.

RL path that leads to wall: http://puu.sh/49eX7.jpg

I've seen your other work that you've done on func_ message boards and QuakeOne message boards and it's really impressive. I'm excited to see what you could come up with for a 1v1 map.
--irc.quakenet.org #telefrag.me and #QWL | foogsQuakeWorld Ladder
2013-08-24, 06:17
14 posts

Jul 2007
I see about the path that leads to the wall.

I thought yesterday about extending the RL path to the pipe that leads up to the MH. This would allow one to grab the RL, then traverse the pipe and get the MH, instead of having to "climb the mountain."

That would provide a circular path from the RA to the MH via RL. I'll probably try this.
2013-08-26, 12:55
14 posts

Jul 2007
Updated with some suggestions by NQ players peg & polarite.

New trickjump to pipe @ MH. Easier jump from RL to pipe @ MH.

RA removed from RL room (is now @ top level main atrium).

Some other changes.

Marked v 0.5 in loading message / status bar.
  12 posts on 1 page  1