User panel stuff on forum
  24 posts on 1 page  1
Graphics Discussion
2013-04-11, 12:02
Administrator
864 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
Hi guys!

I've been thinking about this for some time now, and made a sketch on how a competitive scoreboard could look like. Btw, nevermind the ugly font. Also note that "time" column is removed in this sketch.
http://blaps.se/qw/scoreboard_revamp.png


Anyone like? Would it be realistic to wish for such a thing for christmas gift?
IRC went Discord -> join the chats @ discord.quake.world
2013-04-11, 12:39
Member
286 posts

Registered:
Sep 2012
There's a major problem on that scoreboard: a guy named "bps" is the best player. That's unrealistic.
Maybe you could add another column, so you would have dmg taken/given, and it would be really cool.
2013-04-11, 14:44
Member
364 posts

Registered:
Oct 2006
There were only two columns in original Quake's scoreboard, name and frags, and it was awesome.
2013-04-11, 20:47
Administrator
1022 posts

Registered:
Apr 2006
Should this be shown always during game?

(Edited 2013-04-12, 15:52)
2013-04-11, 21:38
Member
370 posts

Registered:
Mar 2008
bps wrote:
Hi guys!

I've been thinking about this for some time now, and made a sketch on how a competitive scoreboard could look like. Btw, nevermind the ugly font. Also note that "time" column is removed in this sketch.
http://blaps.se/qw/scoreboard_revamp.png


Anyone like? Would it be realistic to wish for such a thing for christmas gift?


This would be a great idea, Looks really nice.
2013-04-11, 23:30
Member
370 posts

Registered:
May 2006
Tonik wrote:
There were only two columns in original Quake's scoreboard, name and frags, and it was awesome.


this
Custom maps for the show, episodes for the pro.
2013-04-12, 15:16
Administrator
1246 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
that scoreboard makes alot of sense for 4on4 matches. I like it!

2on2, duel and other game modes, not that much.
for example, kills/deaths/suicides, RL are not suited for duel
RL isn't suited for 2on2

imo
but great thing to have in 4n4
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2013-04-12, 15:22
Member
35 posts

Registered:
Feb 2011
I liked it a lot. Would be nice to have this scoreboard implemented.

Even if it's not so useful for 2x2 and 1x1, I would not mind in have it there.
2013-04-12, 15:51
Administrator
1022 posts

Registered:
Apr 2006
Please everyone that answers, can you specify whether you mean having it during a game or after (or both).

Having it ingame will tell you more about the game than you probably intended. You will be able to tell whether or not someone had an rl, if they dropped their rl etc. Damage stats will tell you if your lets say spam grenades hit someone when you are too far away to hear the sound. Etc etc. Please also think about these issues and come up with a good thought through proposal :-)
2013-04-12, 19:03
Member
370 posts

Registered:
Mar 2008
dimman wrote:
Please everyone that answers, can you specify whether you mean having it during a game or after (or both).

Having it ingame will tell you more about the game than you probably intended. You will be able to tell whether or not someone had an rl, if they dropped their rl etc. Damage stats will tell you if your lets say spam grenades hit someone when you are too far away to hear the sound. Etc etc. Please also think about these issues and come up with a good thought through proposal :-)


Personally I'd like more stats on the scoreboard, Even during an FFA game on xs4all.

It just looks more "Modern", Rather than the old-school version.
2013-04-13, 09:19
Member
312 posts

Registered:
Feb 2006
Personally I hate it. I don't think the scoreboard is the place for extensive stats and less is more in this case. I mainly use it to check the frags real quickly and at the end you can check kills/deaths/tks, more info would just be distracting.
2013-04-13, 11:39
Member
202 posts

Registered:
Apr 2006
dimman wrote:
Having it ingame will tell you more about the game than you probably intended. You will be able to tell whether or not someone had an rl, if they dropped their rl etc. Damage stats will tell you if your lets say spam grenades hit someone when you are too far away to hear the sound. Etc etc. Please also think about these issues and come up with a good thought through proposal :-)


Good point. And it could probably help you figure out how many good weapons the opponent has, i.e. if the damage of a certain players adds up by 24 increments, he has a shotgun etc.
2013-04-13, 12:25
Member
286 posts

Registered:
Sep 2012
I didn't think about how it could break tdm, but I think it would still be great having it at the end of the match then, it's way better than having to look in the console for stats...
2013-04-13, 13:02
Administrator
864 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
Nice with this much feedback. But I wanna correct myself: it was never thought to be a game changer; that you could see all this info while playing. My thought was, showing this extended info for teammates, and maybe rendering enemy info as blank lines - until endgame. Dunno if it's any good, but that's my thought.

And I really disagree with mipas criticism. An extended scoreboard gives you a really nice overview of stats, unlike scrolling the console for the same. But ofcourse it should be possible to keep the classic scoreboard, for those wanting to.
IRC went Discord -> join the chats @ discord.quake.world
2013-04-13, 22:13
Member
371 posts

Registered:
Sep 2009
bps wrote:
Nice with this much feedback. But I wanna correct myself: it was never thought to be a game changer; that you could see all this info while playing. My thought was, showing this extended info for teammates, and maybe rendering enemy info as blank lines - until endgame. Dunno if it's any good, but that's my thought.

And I really disagree with mipas criticism. An extended scoreboard gives you a really nice overview of stats, unlike scrolling the console for the same. But ofcourse it should be possible to keep the classic scoreboard, for those wanting to.


Thumbs UP!
(it's really anoying scrolling all over a 4on4 to compare the players stats, one by one, while people talk at the bottom and you miss all the talking)
(QW Nickname: AL.Kernell)
2013-04-13, 22:53
Member
370 posts

Registered:
Mar 2008
So is the creation of this scoreboard going to take place or not?
2013-04-14, 09:18
Administrator
864 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
d4rin wrote:
So is the creation of this scoreboard going to take place or not?


dimman my man! are you able/wanting to help constructing this little monster?
IRC went Discord -> join the chats @ discord.quake.world
2013-04-14, 19:05
Member
371 posts

Registered:
Sep 2009
should this be querying/asking the informations from the server?
(QW Nickname: AL.Kernell)
2013-04-14, 19:52
Administrator
1022 posts

Registered:
Apr 2006
Well bps, showing teammates info only still gives you information you wouldn't have otherwise, so it doesn't "work"

Showing it at endgame is a totally different story. Then it's no querying, you get the information served to you and you just have to display it

I could take a look at it but I won't promise anything. I'm kind of busy with other stuff unfortunately.
2013-04-14, 22:27
Member
370 posts

Registered:
Mar 2008
dimman wrote:
Well bps, showing teammates info only still gives you information you wouldn't have otherwise, so it doesn't "work"

Showing it at endgame is a totally different story. Then it's no querying, you get the information served to you and you just have to display it

I could take a look at it but I won't promise anything. I'm kind of busy with other stuff unfortunately.


I do enjoy how slow this community moves. Because it is easy to catch up on things .
2013-04-15, 08:02
Member
371 posts

Registered:
Sep 2009
d4rin wrote:
I do enjoy how slow this community moves. Because it is easy to catch up on things .


Heheheheh, glad it's still moving, for almost 2 decades!
=P
(QW Nickname: AL.Kernell)
2013-04-15, 08:55
Administrator
864 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
dimman wrote:

Showing it at endgame is a totally different story. Then it's no querying, you get the information served to you and you just have to display it


That is perhaps the one and only way to go! I never thought it through that much in detail. At first, I just shared a dream, and now it might come true
IRC went Discord -> join the chats @ discord.quake.world
2013-12-26, 22:59
Member
110 posts

Registered:
Mar 2010
You might be able to read things into it. Who's the hottest player on the other team blabla... the info is a bit too revealing during the game.

A fun idea for those who care about stats, but maybe it should come with an on/off feature if you want to disable it during official games? not that i think anyone will take time to sit and read stats during those but...
2013-12-27, 00:21
News Writer
619 posts

Registered:
Nov 2008
nelag wrote:
You might be able to read things into it. Who's the hottest player on the other team blabla... the info is a bit too revealing during the game.

A fun idea for those who care about stats, but maybe it should come with an on/off feature if you want to disable it during official games? not that i think anyone will take time to sit and read stats during those but...


It appears you didn't read the entire thread. ^.^

/andeh
  24 posts on 1 page  1