User panel stuff on forum
  76 posts on 3 pages  First page123Last page
Graphics Discussion
2013-03-21, 06:18
357 posts

Mar 2006
CapNBub's has created a new project to replace all the quake monsters with new mid-poly models.
He aims to have very faithful replacements, that also work with the standard MDL limits.
So they will work for ezQuake/zQuake/FodQuake as a drop-n-go replacement.

Check the thread over HERE. There is even a NEW player model!!
This would be a better alternative for nQuake than a link to the shareware paks IMHO...

download>> QuakeAuthenticModelUpdate.zip

Keep checking back as he has made the Grunt, the dog, and just spent 3 days making the player model. Next is the ogre, the scrag, zombie, fiend.. etc

he is using blender and will include the .blend files for modders to edit the models as they wish!!
2013-03-21, 09:36
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
Freakin awesome. Had to finally register at quakeone.com to show some appreciation, I mean wouldn't it be nice with a fresh player model in multiplayer?!
Join us on discord.quake.world
2013-03-21, 09:48
188 posts

Feb 2008
Superb models, checked them out in darkplaces. I think this would be a gread addon for nquake since the default model animations are a bit stiff for modern ages.
2013-03-21, 11:06
344 posts

Nov 2006
Awesome - did I miss something or.. what about the weapon and item models? :-)
2013-03-21, 16:52
357 posts

Mar 2006
hmm not sure, but he does work fast, and maybe by summer he will be done with all the monsters and start working on the weapons/items...
That link above has the new player model included...
2013-03-21, 17:06
286 posts

Sep 2012
There are some great weapon and item models hidden on the interwebz, I will release a pack I made from dozens of pk3 and mod files I archived, modified, retextured, etc the same time I release my new video ( when it's done ).
Some ( aliased ) screens: 1 2 3 4 5
2013-03-21, 17:11
357 posts

Mar 2006
Ack, he just updated the player model with a new skin, which breaks primevil's 24bit skins.

I have the player model version just before the final skin addition here

for anyone wanting to use existing 24bit skins on this new model.
2013-03-22, 00:19
223 posts

Aug 2011
The player.mdl looks sick! I move to make this standard in ezquake!

Some minor tweaks I would make:
    Making him lean a little less forward
    Moving the top of the weapon (the part where the trigger is) closer to the chest
    Not sure if itīs only a skin related problem, but parts of the forehead end up on the helmet (with blue.png for example)
carrier has arrived - twitch.tv/carapace_
2013-03-22, 02:56
357 posts

Mar 2006
He has released the .blend files for blender for someone to tweak... which is really cool!
2013-03-23, 15:49
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
the new player model is really cool!
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2013-03-24, 22:56
370 posts

Mar 2008
SputnikUtah wrote:
Ack, he just updated the player model with a new skin, which breaks primevil's 24bit skins.

I have the player model version just before the final skin addition here

for anyone wanting to use existing 24bit skins on this new model.

I am using the file you just posted, It works with the normal base skin which is what I want, but it always says non standard eye/players model.

any way to fix that? it's annoying
2013-03-31, 18:28
223 posts

Aug 2011
Thatīs because itīs illegal to use modified models in QW. Your client alerts everyone on the server that you have modified a model and could possibly be playing with an unfair advantage.
2013-04-03, 00:23
223 posts

Aug 2011
Anyway, capnbubs released a new version with some minor fixes to the player.mdl. Is there anyone who can download it and make it usable in ezQuake for the average player to check out?
2013-04-03, 08:03
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
offtopic: anyone considering altering/updating the "ruleset" standard? I don't mind modified player.mdl, or modified bolt.mdl, if people want. Separate topic?
Join us on discord.quake.world
2013-04-05, 16:06
793 posts

Feb 2006
the player model looks freaking awesome, very faithful too. thanks for the old version SputnikU, which works just fine in ezquake. I guess v_weapons shouldn't work with this? is it a different allignment with the old model, did anyone try?
2013-04-05, 17:59
370 posts

Mar 2008
dEus wrote:
the player model looks freaking awesome, very faithful too. thanks for the old version SputnikU, which works just fine in ezquake. I guess v_weapons shouldn't work with this? is it a different allignment with the old model, did anyone try?

He would need to make another model to use with Vweps.
2013-05-13, 13:37
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
news about this?
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2013-05-14, 20:43
223 posts

Aug 2011
Still waiting for the latest version to be made usable in ezQ with a simple copy+paste.
2013-05-16, 05:25
375 posts

Sep 2009
cara wrote:
Still waiting for the latest version to be made usable in ezQ with a simple copy+paste.

HAHAhahheahuae, the most needed update ever!!!
(QW Nickname: AL.Kernell)
2013-08-12, 20:13
223 posts

Aug 2011
Bump.
2013-08-13, 11:54
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
Do they look a lot different in-game? The screenshots on that forum thread looked... barely different to me...
2013-08-13, 14:24
188 posts

Feb 2008
dirtbox wrote:
Do they look a lot different in-game? The screenshots on that forum thread looked... barely different to me...

The animations are far better, there should be some animated gif in the thread on quakeone.com (don't have the link handy atm).
2013-08-13, 15:15
223 posts

Aug 2011
dirtbox wrote:

They are very faithful, yet modern, fresh and as previously stated, very clean and eyegasmic animation.

The reason I want the reworked model compatible in QW is because:

* The one I tried a while back (linked further up in the thread) was mindblowing.
* There was a few minor tweaks that could be made to make it even tighter and more realistic.
* The creator of the model listened and applied all of my (and other oldschool QWers also weighed in) suggestions.
* It is so fresh, faithful and doesnīt affect anything in the gameplay that a "legalization" of this model (in ruleset smackdown) would be such a breath of fresh air for our old gem of a game.

Thatīs my agenda. I hope somebody who has the ability to convert the model to QW reads and complies.
2013-08-13, 20:10
286 posts

Sep 2012
I think the main problem is that no one codes for ezquake anymore... Ask Dimman, maybe he'll add it in Jquake !
2013-08-14, 12:03
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
I'd say the main problem is that people don't realize that they are free to use it if they decide it's OK to do so. Same goes for tournament admins: You could just say that you require this and that or whatever you want.

Ruleset smackdown is just a really old ruleset that was a match to what the tournament admins at that time wanted. If lets say Hooraytio decides that it's OK to modify player.mdl and bolt.mdl well what is stopping you from using it?

I won't modify the smackdown ruleset for ezQuake but we could without problems create a new ruleset and call it, I don't know: modern? :-)
The only thing a ruleset is meant for is to help people to set values in line with the tournament rules.

EDIT: I'm still super-busy IRL but I might find some time later on to do some coding.
2013-08-14, 18:14
223 posts

Aug 2011
As my point was clearly lost somewhere Iīll reiterate:

I [and the entire scene who stands to benefit] would love for someone to make the new [and now improved up to QW standards] player model compatible in QW.

The 'ruleset smackdown legalization' was merely something I said to spark some interest, so the person doing this (I would guess relatively minor task) would know they are doing it for the entire scene.

The coding of the ruleset is great! First it needs to become a plug-and-play model though before anything else, so everyone will have the same access to it.
2013-08-15, 21:13
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
cara wrote:
As my point was clearly lost somewhere Iīll reiterate:

I [and the entire scene who stands to benefit] would love for someone to make the new [and now improved up to QW standards] player model compatible in Qw.

I'm obviously missing something, what's the real problem? "Not compatible"? When reading previous posts it sounds like ppl tried it ingame, as in there's a working mdl?
2013-08-16, 05:09
223 posts

Aug 2011
Step by step, this is a summary of what has transpired in the thread:

1. There was a model released initially that was compatible with QW.
2. This model was awesome, but had some flaws.
3. Capnbubs remade this model based on the critique given.
4. The new model he made wasnīt compatible in QW (atleast I donīt know howto)
5. The new model needs to be made compatible in QW.
2013-08-16, 06:43
News Writer
1267 posts

Jun 2007
Correct me if im wrong but wouldnt ppl be able to cheat with spiked player models etc if we allowed modified player.mdl even though the aim was just to allow some new better looking player model? Or is there a way to allow only a particular modification?
Chosen
2013-08-16, 07:37
286 posts

Sep 2012
People are already wallhacking, they don't need a spiky player model !
Is a new ruleset hard to add ? Can't we just add it in a pk3 ?
  76 posts on 3 pages  First page123Last page