User panel stuff on forum
  1 post on 1 page  1
Client Talk
2013-03-10, 20:02
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
As topic; When you join midgame either as spec or reconnect as player, your gameclock can take up to a minute to sync with actual game time (ezQuake), or stay out of sync the rest of the game which can be very very frustrating and bad, especially in 4on4.

I've implemented a feature that allows you to always get the current game time instantly.

What you need? Latest ezQuake nightly build: http://ezquake.sf.net/nightly

Currently only supported on pangela's servers.

Repo details:
As there seems to be no one left working on KTX/MVDSV I've put up a repository on github branching off from latest official commit + adding my patch(es).

Technical details:
The feature is in my KTX repository atm, but could easily be incorporated in other server/client software.

After some discussions with Spike, I've implemented it in the following way:
#define STAT_MATCHSTARTTIME 18

That entry will contain the match starting time in milliseconds as an integer. This entry in the stats array will get set as the servers time when the match starts. It will get sent out to clients essentialy on connection (both player/spec) and at match start.

The client knows about the timelimit of the game, the servers current time and now the match start time. All the things you need to know to calculate how much time has elapsed since the game started, since the time limit is known you know also now how much time is left.

(This should be completely backwards compatible with both servers/clients using the status serverinfo to try to keep in sync, however in KTX case this serverinfo var only changes every minute and that's the reason I implemented this.)

Feel free to give me feedback or if you're in the KTX-dev team, contact me
  1 post on 1 page  1