User panel stuff on forum
  21 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2012-04-15, 00:43
5 posts

Mar 2012
I enjoy the stream, dont get me wrong.

But i do hate the hud he is using, can't we get Dithe's to make a hud just for the stream?
and the models, 2_green for friend, 2_red for enemy? other then that big love from me!

great work with everything, the website and all.

- #amfw demliz
2012-04-15, 00:47
5 posts

Mar 2012
and if you argue with me just check http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3P-XCbB8LI 2:06 then argue to is face.
2012-04-16, 14:09
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
I'll enable the skins soon.

I have more pressing things to fix right now, such as the slight audio lag, the switching when there's no votes, and stream downtime related to ezquake and xsplit being poopyheads when running for too long

I already have some huds to try it out, I just gotta get to it. Thanks for the feedback and please keep it coming.

(Edited 2012-04-16, 14:11)
2012-04-16, 15:58
188 posts

Feb 2008
Only improvement for the stream could be a more prominent enemy skin (try dduck.pcx) and a more streamlined (hihi) HUD, with bigger names etc. Else I really liked it, I am not a fan of picmip +9000 configs like in QL.
2012-04-17, 12:58
1329 posts

Apr 2006
The announce it makes has started to annoy few people, so I've been getting some complaints about it. Maybe tune that down a bit or even disable it for good, I'm pretty sure noone speccing a game will quit their client and go to watch a stream with low resolution and low fps if they are speccing on the server (or in QTV).
Servers: Troopers
2012-04-17, 17:53
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
I just disabled the announcement. I actually joined a server and the stream happened to be watching it and it was actually pretty annoying
2012-04-17, 18:01
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
Actually four times is the correct number of times to say actually
2012-04-18, 19:34
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
Looking forward to Phil's stream revamped!
Join us on discord.quake.world
2012-04-19, 13:19
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
Looking forward to bps's hottt graphics for my stream!
2012-04-19, 14:45
223 posts

Aug 2011
Maybe in a near future you would want to watch the stream rather than through QTV?
It would truly be awesome if everyone, regardless of you have QW installed or not, would be able to get the full QW experience that we all know, love and cherish so much.
carrier has arrived - twitch.tv/carapace_
2012-04-20, 11:37
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
#10: It would be awesome, but I think it's impossible to please all viewers with one stream setup. Some like textures, some hate it. What about having the option to chose from like 3 different stream huds? Meaning, 3 parallell streams with varying huds... perhaps too hard to deliver from the streamer? Atleast one could dream... imagine one stream with full on textures, another with legostyle quake (yes!) and a third with like drawflat or something.
Join us on discord.quake.world
2012-04-20, 12:20
223 posts

Aug 2011
I think it would be wise to try to configure the hud and graphical settings so you can atleast tell whatīs going on. Maybe drawflat with fullbright skins and perhaps more focus on performance since itīs likely to translate the best in terms of telling whats going on with low frame rates and resolutions.

I think it best to start there, atleast until higher resolutions and frame rates are available/on the table.
2012-04-20, 12:55
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
bps: Maybe not right now, but something like that might be trivial in the future.

Especially if you somehow could, very easily, stream virtual machines. I'm sure this is possible now - but I'm talking about the consumer level.

Also - I personally have no problems telling what's going on in the stream, and I am categorically opposed to drawflat. The higher resolutions and framerates are on the table. If by "table" you mean my stream

(Edited 2012-04-20, 12:56)
2012-04-20, 13:56
223 posts

Aug 2011
Perhaps I'm alone in thinking it's too messy compared to QTV to be truly enjoyable, if that's the case then by all means disregard of my comments. If not, you stand alot of viewers to gain.

I was under the impression that twitch.tv didn't allow you to give quality options for the viewers. I was also under the impression that 60 fps which is a dream to watch, is too demanding on alot of the viewers hardware.

Perhaps I've gotten it wrong and if so I hope that you can enlighten me.
2012-04-20, 14:50
212 posts

Apr 2006
No cara, you're not alone. My connection can't even handle the stream in that quality. And then the quality still is lower than the comfortable QTV picture I get, and adjustable to my own liking.

I'd love to hear some commentating in exciting games but the technical path that is chosen here, simply makes this impossible for me.
2012-04-20, 14:54
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
I think the stream setup is good as it is, both the hud and textures. It's fairly faithful yet clear and although I obviously use brightskins when playing, I don't mind them off in a stream setup as itlooks nicer.

Regarding 60fps, isn't that more of a streamer bandwidth limit or perhaps streamers hardware limit? Sounds weird if it would be the client side hardware that's the bottleneck?

Have a nice weekend everyone!
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2012-04-20, 18:11
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
Use enemyskins 2_green, and perhaps gl_textureless 1, and it will be so easy to see what's going on on the stream!

Adjou!
2012-04-20, 20:22
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
The stream will never look as good as actual in-game qtv. That said, I want to take every effort to make it look better than it is now. Cara, don't think I am disregarding your feedback.

Currently, the stream runs at 720p 30fps. This is the de facto standard for high def. Its what youtube prefers, its what twitch.tv prefers, hell, its what even most dvd rips and whatnot prefer (ok, 29.9xyz fps, maybe.) My current streaming setup can do 60fps, but it strains my upload and, frankly, I don't see much of a difference (this could be because 60 fps is not being generated properly somewhere in the twitch.tv pipeline) Furthermore, if you think about it, 60 fps requires double the bitrate. Why not use that bitrate for higher quality instead?

Now that I mentioned bitrate, I'm already as high as I can comfortably upload with bitrate, and in fact it seems to be too high since I'm getting complaints of choppy feed and such, meaning the users don't have enough bandwidth/cpu to watch the stream.

So, vis-a-vis higher resolution and framerate - I'm already as high as it goes while still being technically feasible for most viewers.
2012-04-21, 01:17
223 posts

Aug 2011
When I watch the stream I experience alot of tearing, that combined with no fullbright, a low viewheight and quite a large rocket trail makes it very hard to tell what is going on. Perhaps itīs obvious that SC2-streamers wonīt have this problem because the game is so much slower (in what you actually see, not talking about actual gameplay) when comparing the two... My point being that I think there are steps that can be taken to increase the experience for viewers on the streamers end rather than the stream suppliers.

A good example might be this video:
http://www.quakeworld.nu/video/3/ownage-3-grand-final-locktar-vs-milton-map3-aerowalk
Granted itīs not streamed (I assume, atleast), but I think a HUD and settings like that makes the game more justice and you can easily see whatīs going on even if itīs a bit "choppy" at times.

I hope I make some sense, the hour is late...
2012-04-22, 18:08
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
Wow, that HUD was awesome;

http://www.quakeworld.nu/video/3/ownage-3-grand-final-locktar-vs-milton-map3-aerowalk

Add the 2_green fullbright skins to that hud and those gfxsettings and it'd be the best stream ever!
2012-04-23, 01:12
Next update to the stream will be votable huds. It will work the same way that server is voted on. I just need to get around to actually implement it
  21 posts on 1 page  1