User panel stuff on forum
  11 posts on 1 page  1
Rookies' Corner
2012-03-09, 19:32
7 posts

Mar 2012
1.) Get mIRC or any other IRC program and join/idle! #qwrookie and #ezQuake. (They will help you with your QuakeWorld config!!)
(guide how to join/connect to IRC will be soon!)

2.) Don't be shy to ask anyone for help! QuakeWorld got the most helpfull community ever!

3.) Use ServerME service to find opponent for match! (On #qwrookie type .qw {YOUR TEXT WHAT U WANT TO} (example: .qw Hi guys! I'm looking for rookie on some duels pm me!)

a.) If you see someone post 1v1,pov or end, He means he wants to practice on maps povdmm4 and endif! those two are aiming maps (GOOGLE THEM)

b.) Don't worry to create 2on2 or 4on4 rookie mix!! But also be sure everyone there is rookie. (If he start raping you all simply kick him)

c.) Also try to play some FFA(Free for all[EVERYONE IS AN ENEMY!] around if you like it.)But dont play with ping more than 90+ even with new future of ezQuake "antilag" it's very bad experience for your skill .

4.) Use http://quakeservers.net To find the best server for you !

5.) Try to read quakeworld.nu and !FORUM! to see what new is on the scene!

6.) Try to bring new friends into game!

And at last try to be HELPFULL, because community is what makes QW the best game ever!
2012-03-10, 11:12
312 posts

Feb 2006
HellD1amond_CZ wrote:
a.) If you see someone post 1v1,pov or end, He means he wants to practice on maps povdmm4 and endif! those two are aiming maps (GOOGLE THEM)

End and endif are actually two totally different maps and different modes. Endif is a midair map (google it)

Quote:
b.) Don't worry to create 2on2 or 4on4 rookie mix!! But also be sure everyone there is rookie. (If he start raping you all simply kick him)

Does a rookie know how to "simply" kick someone? You need to elect one of the players as admin and use the kick command which might be a bit confusing for someone who's never tried it before.
2012-03-10, 11:28
80 posts

Jan 2006
I would not recommend 2on2 and 4on4 for newcomers, the scene is small and there's not a lot of games going on. Team games incorporate too many moments and steps for a newcomer to start with on his/her first introduction to QW.

1. Play FFA to learn the very basics of how the game works, ie the weapons, the physics. And some knowledge on a few of the popular maps.
2. Play 1on1 vs other NEWCOMERS to get a better understanding of the popular maps.

I still see people to this day who has played the game for a good 1-2 years now and still consider themselves ROOKIES, I don't like to use this term to describe new players, they are NEWCOMERS, not ROOKIES. There's a huge difference between these two.

Basically, play FFA, that's how everybody starts, and that goes for every other game. Or if you have friends whos also playing you can play 1on1 vs them to improve.

Anyone can ask for help or tips in the forums and I'm sure someone will reply.
2012-03-10, 21:26
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
no read this first ?
what can be improved there? it's supposed to be a welcome topic.
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2012-03-11, 14:16
188 posts

Feb 2008
valla wrote:
I would not recommend 2on2 and 4on4 for newcomers, the scene is small and there's not a lot of games going on. Team games incorporate too many moments and steps for a newcomer to start with on his/her first introduction to QW.

1. Play FFA to learn the very basics of how the game works, ie the weapons, the physics. And some knowledge on a few of the popular maps.
2. Play 1on1 vs other NEWCOMERS to get a better understanding of the popular maps.

I still see people to this day who has played the game for a good 1-2 years now and still consider themselves ROOKIES, I don't like to use this term to describe new players, they are NEWCOMERS, not ROOKIES. There's a huge difference between these two.

Basically, play FFA, that's how everybody starts, and that goes for every other game. Or if you have friends whos also playing you can play 1on1 vs them to improve.

Well, I agree on FFA, but where? For a truly new player entering XS4all with 16 veterans on dm4 is most likely the worst introduction to qw one could think of
2012-03-11, 15:33
253 posts

Nov 2007
194.109.69.75:27502 XS4ALL KTX Rookie FFA
cheat 2 win!
2012-03-11, 16:36
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Quote:
What ROOKIE SHOULD DO AFTER INSTAL!!

Use caps lock wisely.
2012-03-11, 18:41
Administrator
384 posts

Dec 2006
leopold wrote:
For a truly new player entering XS4all with 16 veterans on dm4 is most likely the worst introduction to qw one could think of

Actually I think xs4all FFA has quite a wide range of players... and because it is dmm3 even the greenest of newcomers can make a few frags assuming they've played online FPS before.
2012-03-12, 13:54
188 posts

Feb 2008
HangTime wrote:
leopold wrote:
For a truly new player entering XS4all with 16 veterans on dm4 is most likely the worst introduction to qw one could think of

Actually I think xs4all FFA has quite a wide range of players... and because it is dmm3 even the greenest of newcomers can make a few frags assuming they've played online FPS before.

IMO (when I started to play QW 1 year ago? can't remember) FFA was in a better state with maps like e4m3 and death32c where new players had some room to breathe. Atm it's mostly about cramped small maps. And dying 150 times (and maybe get 10 frags) is not too encouraging I fear.

I for one always enjoyed the "old" xs4fall more then its newer state now.
2012-04-17, 19:30
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
Watch my youtubes at http://youtube.com/quakephil

There are live commentaries about dueling with beginners in mind, and I'm working on some duel map guides for beginners as well
2012-11-11, 14:05
11 posts

Nov 2012
leopold wrote:
valla wrote:

Well, I agree on FFA, but where? For a truly new player entering XS4all with 16 veterans on dm4 is most likely the worst introduction to qw one could think of

Good lord, this was my introduction. It was interesting, to say the least. I had one game where I was almost at a 1.0 KDR, but the rest of them saw me getting spawnfragged by an incoming rocket about 35-50 times, literally.
  11 posts on 1 page  1