User panel stuff on forum
  18 posts on 1 page  1
Site Feedback
2012-02-25, 10:50
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
JohnNy_cz came up with an idea that I bet a lot of people have thought about but nobody has done anything about it yet...

A tutorial / rookie / whatever QuakeWorld website that instead of focusing on news like QW.nu, focuses on guides and tutorials. Video tutorials of course, like the one Phil made on bunnyjumping.

There's a lot of things in QuakeWorld that are hard to do if you don't already know how to do it, most of it being configuring your QuakeWorld. Making tutorials on how to do most of these tasks would surely be very appreciated by new players. When someone asks "how do I do this", you can instantly direct him to the appropriate video tutorial, and combined with using nQuake they simply can't go wrong! Also, they will notice the other tutorials and "help themselves" to doing most of the stuff they need without asking for help.

So what are your first thoughts about this?
2012-02-26, 09:13
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Maybe this even shouldn't be related to QW.nu (wrong category of this thread in such case). Should be a whole independent site of itself, so if under QW.nu, then on it's own third-level domain (.. guide.quakeworld.nu or so)

It should be something that would be the first result anyone gets when typing QuakeWorld to google.

It should be a site that has all those links you guys give to newcomers on this forum.

It should be something that not only answers "how do I do this in QuakeWorld", but also *what* is QW, *where* is QW, *who* is QW, how does QW look like.

Some inspiration can probably be taken from blizzard's sites about sc2 or d3.
2012-02-26, 11:11
152 posts

Feb 2012
Honestly, it seems to be an utopic idea. Google will have more answers anyway
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.” (c) Johan Cruyff
2012-02-26, 11:35
Administrator
334 posts

Jan 2006
i don't find any useful videos for QW on google or youtube, only video i really find useful is phil's speedjumping tutorial - and that is just missing a few ingame div0 clips in the end where we see speedjumping in action
I would love a tutorial site, where we have small 2-5min videos showcasing gameplay... how do you get started with 1on1 2on2 4on4, with some basic/advanced strategy/tips movies.

Then there is customizing your QW. In new games they really do hold your hand a lot. Showing you what to do in the game, introducing you to the different play modes etc.
In qw there is NOTHING of that. You install the game... and then what. You know some people are playing 1on1 and possibly 4on4... soo what to do? Figure out where to find people, go spam them for 1on1? What maps do people even play? what are the rules? basic strategy tips? All things missing to get a player instantly hooked on trying out the various modes.

How about "if you can't find any opponents right now, have you tried these modes for yourself?" . bloodfest, trickmaps, slidemaps, BOTS with 1on1 2on2 FFA modes. Quick easy instruction on how to get started with those. People don't wanna start google and look for obscure and old newsposts, where those things are mentioned then sift through info and find out where and how to get started.'

Hell, singleplayer experience in QW is not half bad at least you get sense of physics and kill some time on a nostalgic game.

Today people see the videos, check google come to www.quakeworld.nu get nquake, might come to #qwrookie. First thing they wanna do is customize setup and get some games. All we can really offer is "go ffa on xs4all or spam irc for 1on1/2on2"

I just think if we put some effort in availability there is much more to do for a new player to get hooked before jumping into 4on4 mixes and getting smashed. Or being trolled by embah on aerowalk
ready!
2012-02-26, 11:39
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
I tried doing something like this for fQuake: http://fquake.sourceforge.net/getstarted.html
2012-02-26, 11:44
Administrator
334 posts

Jan 2006
yeah fquake was really nice, i used it to easily setup some lego quake stuff. awesome site.
ready!
2012-02-26, 15:03
152 posts

Feb 2012
Um, why not expand wiki.quakeworld.nu then ? Like adding videos to corresponding articles e.t.c... I'm not sure what kind of tutorials about configuration you wish to create, but wiki does seem like a proper place since it already contains some useful tips. I checked there to find more about vid_wideaspect and some other things and it has been helpful enough. Furthermore, I'd disagree that modern QW is that much alien to newcomers. Not every FPS has such a detailed console variables help system. I'm new myself more or less as I've played QW a long, long time ago, so I'm not familiar with QW GL settings, for example. Can't say it was any trouble to find out what I need, as any variable has a detailed description and says what it does when enabled, disabled, e.t.c.. Any person coming from QL/Q3/Q2/HL/CS/CSS e.t.c. should be familiar enough with the basics to get a grip fast enough. I found QW to be far more intuitive (although also more varied) in configuration than QL, for example. Heck, it does even have an in-built hud editor ! ))
As for the people who've never seen console or mIRC... well... I'm not sure how you can make it easier for them with video tutorials. If you can - that will be unprecedented, I think. There are things though which are probably more native to those who played QW at least at some point it the past.. well... I guess a couple of tutorials on how to customize your hud/textures wouldn't hurt (although all downloads at gfx section have explanations, they aren't always oriented on clueless people. Having toyed with those things enough in my time I may know what to do, but I also realize that people who never did this kind of stuff may get lost at some point).
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.” (c) Johan Cruyff
2012-02-26, 15:25
Administrator
334 posts

Jan 2006
I agree a HUD tutorial would be nice. It's much more fun and visually engaging watching someone do it than read it from manual. Show and tell has always been my preference.
But as you seem to have overlooked in my post, it was more generel videos, and short ones. Let me post it again so maybe you will read it this time.
Quote:
bloodfest, trickmaps, slidemaps, BOTS with 1on1 2on2 FFA modes. Quick easy instruction on how to get started with those. People don't wanna start google and look for obscure and old newsposts, where those things are mentioned then sift through info and find out where and how to get started.

Something that can quickly show a person what it is we do in QW. It's like WOW "oh its just some mmorpg", well apparantly there's tons of variation with arena,s 2on2 5on5, instances, big and small raids, level progression etc.
Once you dig into it there's tons of stuff to do. And you know how often you hear on various site comments "QW is so boring, they just play the same 3 maps for 15 years" as if 4on4 was the only thing you could do in QW.

Just look at other games, TONS of guides, tips/tricks etc. on youtube. ENDLESS amount, and I utilize those A LOT. I find them interesting and helpful and they take nothing away from the gaming experience, quite the contrary.
ready!
2012-02-26, 15:43
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
The tutorial phil made about bunnyjumping made me want to see more of that kind of thing. As a beginner, imagine having a playlist on youtube containing 20 of those videos that really introduce you to QuakeWorld and help you get started. It would be awesome.

Having a tutorial site that brings videos, guides and useful links together would be cool, but I guess the video tutorial thing is what I want the most.
2012-02-26, 17:17
152 posts

Feb 2012
Ah, I get what you mean now (sry, I'm on shift and getting brainf*ck*d on Sundays as usual ). Yep, could do with much more then just some duels (70% of which lack commentary and so can be interesting only to experienced players) and random interviews with various people/lan event footages (which a rookie is unlikely to stumble upon unless he's looking for them specifically). Something like nQuake youtube channel could do well, I guess..
2012-02-26, 18:35
Administrator
334 posts

Jan 2006
Again, not talking about just simple match with commentary, I'm talking about short instructional videos... more indepth strategy videos could be added later though, community driven.
ready!
2012-02-26, 20:38
253 posts

Nov 2007
talkin about something like this? http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=1911478 (check the video)

"We sit down with a top gamer in the ESL TV studio, we show one of the great matches that he has played in the ESL and we find out from him what went on through his head during that match."
cheat 2 win!
2012-02-26, 21:19
1435 posts

Jan 2006
On a related note, I've set up a backup hosting for Apollyon's "QuakeWorld for Freshies" guide, here: http://cqe.rytir.com/qwguide/
Not sure if challenge-smackdown.com is ever coming back. (qwguide was hosted there up until now)
2012-02-26, 22:17
Administrator
334 posts

Jan 2006
jon snow. at first no, in future would be awesome! I'm talking about SHORT 2-4min instructional videos... just like when you see poker shows they show you the rules and basic gameplay.
We will show what we play, 1on1 2on2 4on4 ffa - singleplayer: trickmaps, slide, bloodfest 1on1/ffa vs bots.. maybe even ctf/clan arena.

Show basic rules, how to join server, start up game, basic rules. Whatever you wanna learn beyond that. read from guides, or watch more indepth videos. But this is purely intro stuff.
ready!
2012-02-27, 15:46
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
i've starting doing something like this. i've think about several screencasts, each one a couple of minutes, of a given subject.
here's the 1st test: qw folder structure

ive used small, freeware tools to do it.
Quick screen recorder + some TTS sofware (maybe it was clipboard reader?..) + virtual dub + audacity i think

i tried microsoft expression, looks nice, but didn't capture screen on my laptop.

also converted to .swf using camstudio

what u guys think. what to improve, besides making it look more professional?
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2012-02-27, 18:53
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Nice effort actually, I was worried the topic is too difficult to explain briefly, but you somehow handled it ok.

Not sure if this video isn't too advanced tho. Probably it isn't. On the scale 0 = "total newbie to FPS and Quake" to 5 = "playing this game for decades", the website should focus on the people in the range 0-2, your video is somewhere around 2, maybe 3 a little, if you know what I mean.
2012-02-29, 09:04
312 posts

Feb 2006
I'd like to hear what is and what isn't too advanced for this, also about how should it be structured.

1. Getting started: what is the game and how to get it running
2. Basic info on weapons, armor, health and such
3. Setting up bots to try it yourself
4. Customisation?
5. Tips, tricks and basic strategy?

Or do you have something specific in mind?
2012-02-29, 17:55
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Table of contents of QuakeWorld for Freshies is pretty good.

Also this guide is used as an inbuilt guide in ezQuake. It does not make much sense to start yet another guide and have multiple beginner's guides in QW - in ezQuake and also something else somewhere on the web. So the more I think of it, I am coming to the conclusion that Apollyon's guide should get an update - become a modern website with fancy graphics, videos and stuff, and ezQuake's guide should be kept in sync with that.
  18 posts on 1 page  1