User panel stuff on forum
  12 posts on 1 page  1
Client Talk
2011-12-13, 12:52
6 posts

Dec 2011
Yeah, this is a weird one.

I'm running the latest stable ezQuake on a Macbook Pro (Lion) and it's all sweet, aside from the fact I CAN'T TYPE IN CAPITAL LETTERS. It's such a minor thing that I feel a bit silly asking about it, but it's driving me mad.

I can see others typing in capital letters, so it's not a WAD thing.

I've tried other clients which let me shout or type my commands loudly, but I'd much prefer to stick with ezQuake. I've also tried typing on the laptop keyboard and on a USB keyboard.

There's a very real chance that this is a problem at my end, so if anyone can help with that I'd appreciate it.

THANKS. Or thanks.

dies-el

Edit: Oh, where are my manners. Hi! I used to play Quake a while back and I'm just getting back into it. UK based!
2011-12-13, 13:29
364 posts

Oct 2006
Are You Using The Shift Key Or Do You Expect Capslock To Work?
2011-12-13, 13:41
6 posts

Dec 2011
I've tried both without success. Strangely I can bind commands/aliases to shift and they trigger, I just can't type uppercase characters.

The keys appear to be working fine and ezQuake can pick it up, it's just for some reason choosing not to affect my type.

Thanks,
2011-12-13, 20:37
344 posts

Nov 2006
I think I can see the same on my rig. Special characters seem to trigger correctly but uppercase seems broken. Did you try FodQuake? :-)

Shameless plug. But if something is wrong with FodQuake I can fix it. With ezquake it might or may be not be fixed :-I
2011-12-13, 22:39
51 posts

Oct 2011
Tonik wrote:
Are You Using The Shift Key Or Do You Expect Capslock To Work?

Haha, I love the rubbing in there. ;]
2011-12-14, 11:38
6 posts

Dec 2011
Tuna wrote:
I think I can see the same on my rig. Special characters seem to trigger correctly but uppercase seems broken. Did you try FodQuake? :-)

Shameless plug. But if something is wrong with FodQuake I can fix it. With ezquake it might or may be not be fixed :-I

Can you point me in the rough direction of the code you think is at fault? I don't mind having a potter, I'm just very new to the (ez)Quake source!
2011-12-14, 14:20
344 posts

Nov 2006
Most likely in the "osx" directory and the sys_osx.m. The main question is how capital letters are being handled. Will there be a real capital letter handed to the input system or does the ezquake system expects lowercase and turns it into capital letters then the shift key is pressed at the same time..

Here is another hint: Compile it with the 10.5 SDK or else fullscreen will not work.
2011-12-14, 18:09
17 posts

Dec 2010
charset?
2011-12-14, 18:12
6 posts

Dec 2011
If you mean what charset is my machine using, I believe it uses UTF-8, though I'm at a loss as to how to confirm this.

If you mean what charset is my ezQuake install using, it's using the default Quake one. Also I can see other people typing in capital letters so the glyphs are present in the file.

If it's something else, can you tell me how to get you the information that'd help you?

Thanks,
2011-12-14, 19:53
6 posts

Dec 2011
Fix submitted to ezQuake team: https://github.com/ezQuake/ezquake-source/pull/6
2011-12-17, 06:19
17 posts

Dec 2010
dies_el wrote:
If you mean what charset is my machine using, I believe it uses UTF-8, though I'm at a loss as to how to confirm this.

If you mean what charset is my ezQuake install using, it's using the default Quake one. Also I can see other people typing in capital letters so the glyphs are present in the file.

If it's something else, can you tell me how to get you the information that'd help you?

Thanks,

I was talking about the charset in ezquake because I know that with the default one the difference between capital and normal letters is quite small.
2011-12-17, 14:23
6 posts

Dec 2011
Aye I'd considered that, but i could see other people writing in uppercase. There was a change made a while back that prevented the mac client from sending capital letters. It's now been fixed in the code (but there hasn't been a release with the fix yet).
  12 posts on 1 page  1