User panel stuff on forum
  17 posts on 1 page  1
Ignition
2011-10-26, 20:46
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Does anyone have suggestions on websites/forums we should contact to promote the next Ignition tournament on? Countries like Denmark, Finland and Netherlands are some countries we don't have a good connection to for example. Feel free to spread the message, you can even use the news item on the Ignition site as template.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2011-10-26, 23:39
News Writer
309 posts

Sep 2006
Any QL/Q3 forums and sites are the places to go to.
Warsow perhaps too?
2011-10-27, 12:49
51 posts

Oct 2011
2011-10-27, 13:12
188 posts

May 2007
You should try to get in contact with zappater. He has some connections to sk-gaming afaik.

http://www.sk-gaming.com/content/23729-EQL_enters_the_heat#2539600

If you can't get in contact with him. I can make a post in their QW forum (which is pretty dead and more spam then real posts).
2011-10-27, 14:40
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Don't you have any general gaming forums with completely new players? Doesn't matter if they're utterly crap and uses a gamepad to play, that's even preferred :p SK-Gaming might be worth it if we would get onto the Quake section of the news. ESReality has already been used.

Quake Live forums might be interesting, will see if i can still remember my login.
2011-10-27, 16:27
51 posts

Oct 2011
If that's the case, try these:
http://www.cadred.org/
http://www.teamliquid.net/
http://www.gamebanana.com/

I can help you promote the gamebanana.com thread.
EDIT:// Just in case if you do make a thread on gamebanana.com promoting Ignition and you're using images/links, then use HTML. The Gamebanana forums run off HTML rather than BBCode.
2011-12-14, 16:16
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
I'm planning to launch another Ignition some time in January, probably mid-January to be able to start the "marketing period" at the very first few days of the month.

Please feel free to let me know any places or even methods that you think should be used to advertise the tournament to new players. Remember that we set the bar for new players quite much lower than the previous Ignition tournaments, so don't be afraid to give me tips of big general gaming sites or the likes that may not be focused on Quake Live or similar.

This time we had separate cups for the real rookies who just started the game for the first time (or the first time in like 7 years at least) and for the "advanced" rookies who came from Quake Live and had some basic grasp of FPS games. This concept we intend to keep, so please keep an open mind when coming with suggestions on how to attract these various kinds of players.

(For those of you wondering there aren't many games left in the current Ignition tournaments: http://ignition.qwscene.net )
2011-12-15, 08:16
188 posts

May 2007
I play on an Ultima Online freeshard from time to time and somebody made a post on reddit. com about it and hyped it a bit there.
Result: There was a Reddit guild with more than 100 members at one time. Maybe you could try to advertise it there. According to the guy who made the post , it brought many players who only have heard about UO and wanted to try it as well as veterans to the shard.
Just an idea.
2011-12-15, 09:38
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
couple of ideas:
* Make a .pdf, size A3, advertising ignition, qw. Like a poster. This pdf would be sent to colleges, etc. It could be printed and posted on student's hall;
* advertise qw on reddit (as n1x suggested), make a image for 9gag and imgur, using the faces they use =)
* run ignition on clanbase or other similar famous league site. that way it is more exposed to other fps players
* write a template email advertising. this email would be sent to gaming sites/magazines all over the world. preferably with the pdf attached.
* a small prize money would be neat, but it may be hard to classify the allowed signups... i would contribute with a small sum. im sure more ppl would aswell.
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2011-12-15, 10:28
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
mushi wrote:
couple of ideas:
* Make a .pdf, size A3, advertising ignition, qw. Like a poster. This pdf would be sent to colleges, etc. It could be printed and posted on student's hall;

Will consider it. Would probably need some cool art work done though to look inspiring.

mushi wrote:
* advertise qw on reddit (as n1x suggested), make a image for 9gag and imgur, using the faces they use =)

I tried this the last time and a few of the american signups may have come from there. I think if it's to be posted on Reddit it needs to be guerilla-promoted though. Simply just posting it won't do, but we'd probably need a few people to "like" it in order for the post to gain in popularity. Also some serious thought might need to be put into how to structure this advertisement, even if it's only a few lines of text it should be catchy enough.

mushi wrote:
* run ignition on clanbase or other similar famous league site. that way it is more exposed to other fps players

I think this isn't worth it to be honest as Clanbase seems like a mess. I'm building my own such site for QW aswell which i'm going to use.

mushi wrote:
* write a template email advertising. this email would be sent to gaming sites/magazines all over the world. preferably with the pdf attached.

We did this the last time and sent it out to websites and posted it on forums. Our target were 64 signups and we hit it, but i'd like an even greater response to advertisement (especially seeing as there were some people never showing up for the actual games after signing up).

mushi wrote:
* a small prize money would be neat, but it may be hard to classify the allowed signups... i would contribute with a small sum. im sure more ppl would aswell.

I'm not too keen on having a monetary prize, but maybe some sponsored stuff could be arranged (mice, mousepads, headphones etc) to act more as a bonus. That kind of stuff might be expensive, but it still would have a different feel to it compared to a raw money prize.
2011-12-15, 10:47
810 posts

Jan 1970
Ake Vader wrote:
mushi wrote:
couple of ideas:

Will consider it. Would probably need some cool art work done though to look inspiring.

hoder is a man with art and cool, maybe he'd like to work with it.
buurwrouv is another artist in qw, would really like to see her work.

maybe more artists in qw could be found, but here are two talents worth using if they have time and interest.
2011-12-15, 10:47
188 posts

May 2007
I think prize money or prizes at all are the wrong way to go. You have to make restrictions who you allow to ignition and you can prepare for a shit storm of complaints, when you have prizes (why is a and b allowed in/ I was not allowed to enter and I am slightly worse than the winner). I think you will save yourself a lot of trouble when you leave out prizes.

And I agree to the guerilla tactics on reddit.

The guy on the UO forum urged everybody to make a reddit account to upvote the original post and then took his time to upvote all the responds (almost 200).
2011-12-15, 14:16
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
since you are making a site, imo you should add an extra question on the signup form, which would be "How did you know about Ignition Tournament?" and provide several answers, such as "news posts on gaming websites", "friend"; "poster"; ...
this would allow us measure effiency of each advertising type to improve advertising future seasons.

edit: bps also has photoshop skills, like others.
some ideas for posters:
Regular League poster..

or something more creative adapted for qw and ignition

memes, yea, memes!
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2011-12-15, 15:03
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
here is something i did to exemplificate

http://upload.foppa.dk/files/meme1.png
2011-12-15, 17:10
57 posts

Apr 2007
Haven't read all, but that is awesome mushi.

Stuff like that catches your attention a thousand times better than simple posts when your just strolling around.
2011-12-15, 18:11
News Writer
309 posts

Sep 2006
This is fucking great Mushi GJ!!
2011-12-15, 18:23
51 posts

Oct 2011
Haha, pretty much the story of my life sofar.
Plays counter-strike, finds quake, becomes addicted.
  17 posts on 1 page  1