User panel stuff on forum
  9 posts on 1 page  1
Help
2011-10-25, 19:41
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
So, I'm working on this alienware and I've finally got it running, somewhat, but there's one thing that I just don't get...

I have three SATA-disks connected, and they all show up in BIOS and during the boot-up, but once in windows, the computer only displays one parted disk (one disk thats cut in two or however to explain that).

Does anyone have ANY idea why this is? I can't access the terabytes that I should have free. And they all show up in BIOS and everything. Just not in windows.

Please, help!

Yours,
Andeh
2011-10-26, 09:42
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
bump :x
2011-10-26, 09:46
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
I'm guessing you dont have partitions on the other drives, you might wanna create them and then format the partitions as NTFS in your case.

And no, you dont have to reinstall anything as long as you partition and format the correct drives.

Look for the disk utility and see if your disks are shown there.
2011-10-26, 12:00
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
In case you don't know, disk utility is control panel - administrative tools - computer management - disk management. You should see your drives there (even if they don't show up in windows explorer) and if that's the case, then they need to be formatted for use with windows. (Just don't format the wrong drive or you'll lose everything, muyahahah)
2011-10-26, 12:12
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
It does indeed show up in disk management, and it says everything is working as it should and the device is ready to use and blabla, everything seems normal and fine, but disks just won't show up in "My Computer" or so and I am unable to browse them.

I've got no idea what to do O.o

Yours,
Andeh
2011-10-26, 13:32
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
Andeh wrote:
It does indeed show up in disk management, and it says everything is working as it should and the device is ready to use and blabla, everything seems normal and fine, but disks just won't show up in "My Computer" or so and I am unable to browse them.

I've got no idea what to do O.o

Yours,
Andeh

What you need to do, as we said () Create a partition on the disk, and then format the partition as NTFS.

Haven't used windows for a while, but if i remember correctly perhaps you dont even need to create a partition manually. But just selecting the disk and hitting Format Volume or something like it?

Try it out and get back
2011-10-26, 16:05
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
How can I create a partition of a disk when I can't reach it? O_o
2011-10-26, 16:49
6 posts

Oct 2011
I haven't used windows for a while either, but can you not partition/format the other disks from within the disk management util?

http://ompldr.org/tYXpwMg
2011-10-26, 17:13
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
Andeh wrote:
How can I create a partition of a disk when I can't reach it? O_o

Cmon, pull your head out from your **** now

You just wrote: "It does indeed show up in disk management, and it says everything is working as it should..."

So everything seems to be working as it should, but you need partitions, and them to be formatted.

Right click the disk and do what I've been saying in the latest posts.
  9 posts on 1 page  1