User panel stuff on forum
  8 posts on 1 page  1
Client Talk
2011-05-27, 13:49
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
would it be possible?

there's already some discussion here at the forum about a qw web client. but nothing about a plain demo player.

A user would choose a demo and bang! window opens, and the demo starts rolling.

no client requirements (or maybe just a little plugin, like quakelive) and BANG!
bANG!
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2011-05-27, 15:10
271 posts

Feb 2006
possible? already done via browser plugin.

too lazy to make a nice pwetty package. there's example html in the qtv proxy's webpage generation code on fte's svn. or something.
moo
2011-05-27, 21:43
626 posts

Jan 2006
Well, not a single game has this.. okey, ql has the webbrowser oppertunity to watch demos, but not an "demo viewer html" thing, would be really nice with an implanted qw on a page then just click demo
to show it up, don't think it's possible tho... _ever_ .
2011-05-27, 23:06
Administrator
334 posts

Jan 2006
don't know if it's really useful either. I mean if you wanna wanna watch a demo you just click the link to it, open it (ezquake is associated with .mvd) and it opens it and shows with your setup.
And if you are new player, I guess I could see the idea... but how many players that DON't have QW installed, are gonna watch a QW demo?
They are maybe gonna watch some old "star" games, but they are saved on stream with commentary also.

BUT... if you can play a demo in the viewer, you can also watch a live QTV stream no?
That sounds nice
ready!
2011-05-28, 00:15
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Agree with Para, it would be a feature that caters for seasoned players and I'm not even sure they'd use it tbh. What are the advantages compared to streaming from YouTube or similar?
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2011-05-29, 16:44
1 post

May 2011
spam removed
2011-05-30, 01:11
Administrator
334 posts

Jan 2006
well hold on now, what about the streaming part? If it can play a demo it can play a live stream also? This would allow new players to be able to watch live stream without installing QW

Or does it download all needed files like it does with quakelive?
ready!
2011-05-30, 07:18
347 posts

Feb 2006
ParadokS wrote:
well hold on now, what about the streaming part? If it can play a demo it can play a live stream also? This would allow new players to be able to watch live stream without installing QW

Or does it download all needed files like it does with quakelive?

Something similar to Google's Jake2 GWT port could be done. That would allow for streaming of live games and such without a plug in. The client would need to download all the necessary files though, which poses certain copyright problems (still no 100% free Quake).
  8 posts on 1 page  1